Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: November 2006 Technique Of The Month - Sword Of Destruction

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default November 2006 Technique Of The Month - Sword Of Destruction

Sword of Destruction (Front- Left Straight or Hooking Punch)
    1. An attacker from 12 o'clock comes at you with a left punch (it can be a straight punch or a "drunken" punch).

2. Step back with your left foot to 6 o'clock into a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you simultaneously execute a right extended outward block. (Your left hand will act as a positional check at your right shoulder).

3. Immediately slide your right foot back to your left in a cat stance. Execute a right front kick to your attacker's groin.

4. Land forward with your right foot into a right neutral bow, checking off your attacker's left leg, as you simultaneously execute a right inward handsword to the left side of your attacker's neck.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: November 2006 Technique Of The Month - Sword Of Destruction

A good solid technique IMHO. Good introduction to torque for a beginner when utilizing the sword hand strike.

I haven't seen to many variations of this technique. It seems to be pretty much the same regardless of school or organizaion further proving that it is indeed a good solid inside defense against a left punch.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

If it were for a staight punch than wouldn't we be usuing a vertical outward block instead of an extended outward. We are usually trying to meet the punch with an extended outward wile we are blocking the punch with a vertical. Anyone confused yet? LOL
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

...what if you pad it with a left inward parry first?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by parkerkarate View Post
    If it were for a staight punch than wouldn't we be usuing a vertical outward block instead of an extended outward. We are usually trying to meet the punch with an extended outward wile we are blocking the punch with a vertical. Anyone confused yet? LOL
    By stepping back you are increasing your distance between you and the attacker. By using an extended Outward Block you are increasing the chances for your safety by moving their weapon farther away from you. It also opens their neck for the knife hand.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    ...what if you pad it with a left inward parry first?
    Than you would be crossing yourself up from the beggining. If he were to throw his right hand, like faking with his left and throwing his right.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    By stepping back you are increasing your distance between you and the attacker. By using an extended Outward Block you are increasing the chances for your safety by moving their weapon farther away from you. It also opens their neck for the knife hand.
    Agreed. And it sets up a "destructive" sword hand versus your "run-of-the-mill" sword hand. LOL

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I'm also confused: I don't see how it is possible to execute an extended-outward against a straight punch. This indicates that I'm doing this block a little differently? I'd opt for an outward-vertical / inward block against a straight punch...

We do this tech against a left hooking punch. The block can hit the inside of the arm at the bicep, jamming the punch before it gets anywhere near our head. A right-shoulder slap-check (BAM) is also utilized along with a right-foot PAM.

The effectiveness of these actions would create distance and requires a transition forwards into cat rather than drawing backwards The entire body is more stable with this forwards-movement vs drawing back and kicking.

I don't understand #4 - 'checking off the attacker's left leg'....but anyway we do the handsword but with another slapcheck/BAM.

mmmmm nice tech :-)

Thanks

Dont forget when you step back and extended outward block and transition into the cat the attacker has to move towards you in order to execute the kick to the groin, otherwise they are out of range if your stances are correct. Keep the left hand checked or you may lose an eye.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Mr. Mills replaced this tech with Swords of Fury for the AKKI, but I still remember this one. I usually step with my left foot more towards 7:30 even though the book says "6". Even though it seems "off angle", I correct it by pivoting a little when I throw the kick to get back on the 6/12 line.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    Mr. Mills replaced this tech with Swords of Fury for the AKKI, but I still remember this one. I usually step with my left foot more towards 7:30 even though the book says "6". Even though it seems "off angle", I correct it by pivoting a little when I throw the kick to get back on the 6/12 line.
    I would love to see that technique. Any chance on sharing it? I know the AKKI keeps their stuff under wraps though so maybe not.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

We are taught this technique for a Roundhouse punch. We use the extended outward block.

We learn that the vertical outward block, is actually never used as a block, but more of a check or parry. It does not have the strength to resist force. Think of how the vertical outward block is used in Destructive Twins.

If the attack is a straight left punch, we would probably try and move to the outside, with a technique like Reversing Mace or Repeating Mace.

What techniques to do we have for the inside of a straight left? Hmmmm. Am I missing something?

Thanks

As Sword of Destruction is almost a mirror image technique of Delayed Sword, Sword of Destruction teaches us to apply Delayed Sword on the inside of EITHER arm. It is important to contour and follow the lines of your opponent’s arm to get your handsword to the neck. Also, be sure to use both marriage of gravity and torque with the final handsword.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Please forgive my ignorane, but are'nt all tehniques an artifical construct based on ideas, of what could happen as defiined by the ideal attack in an Ideal world,?

Cheers

Thanks

Yes, this of course is a discussion of the ideal phase.

Peace,
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Please forgive my ignorane, but are'nt all tehniques an artifical construct based on ideas, of what could happen as defiined by the ideal attack in an Ideal world,?

Cheers
    Techniques are not only designed to give you a set of movements to respond under certain circumstances but to show how your opponents body will react when applied. It is up to the martial artist to adapt those movements to the right circumstances and the reactions of their opponent. Even if that means grafting half of one technique to half of another.
    Loyal student of Sifu DangeRuss
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    The concepts and principles of American Kenpo are taught through the application of Prescribed Defenses for Prescribed Attacks. Once those principles are learned, the practitioner should be able to apply the principles in a spontaneous manner.

When acting spontaneously, we would not be discussing 'technique', or perhaps that should be 'Technique'.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: November 2006 Technique Of The Month - Sword Of Destruction

[
    quote=JamesB;33673]I'm also confused: I don't see how it is possible to execute an extended-outward against a straight punch. This indicates that I'm doing this block a little differently? I'd opt for an outward-vertical / inward block against a straight punch...
    Straight punch, hooking punch, dose it really matter The idea is not to get hit,

We do this tech against a left hooking punch. The block can hit the inside of the arm at the bicep, jamming the punch before it gets anywhere near our head. A right-shoulder slap-check (BAM) is also utilized along with a right-foot PAM.
    Well that is cool as technique against an ideal attack, but I would not throw just a left straight or hook I can almost garrentee as you blocked my left , I would hit you with my right or left wheather a cross , upper cut elbow head butt , shin what have you ,in mutitpule directions then what? You cant block what you cant see!

Further more it would be un realistic to belive other wise ,techniques are for teachers to teach and students to learn, whislt giving the teacher the edge,cause they are nothing more than an artifical construct to convey ideas,

The effectiveness of these actions would create distance and requires a transition forwards into cat rather than drawing backwards The entire body is more stable with this forwards-movement vs drawing back and kicking.
    Providing your attacker only thru a punch as discribed, also considering you where quick enouigh to block "A punch"

I don't understand #4 - 'checking off the attacker's left leg'....but anyway we do the handsword but with another slapcheck/BAM.

mmmmm nice tech :-)
    [/quote]

Well thats cool me either , although we have a saying there is no power without sound, ......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Oh, finally one I have learned

Although I learned it from Dr. Chapel so does that count

but basically what he taught me seems very much the same as what is written here, with these differences:

the left hand is not a positional check, it actually slaps the right shoulder, then slides across the body then extends into a "braced index" with the right hand.

(this braced index has the right arm bent at 135 degrees, elbow and hand level with shoulder, elbow pointing to 12. right hand is a fist, palm down. Left hand braces it, palm of left hand against "eye" of right fist. Left arm is straight)

in the SL-4 version you step forward - the left foot moves to 12 into a right cat. this body momentum is imediately transferred into a right front kick.

As you kick you raise the braced index straight up (not back), and as you step through with the kick, the hand sword lands with the front foot. Also again slapping the right shoulder.

is Sword of Doom a standard AK techqniue? Or is that unique to SL4?

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zarnyk View Post
    Techniques are not only designed to give you a set of movements to respond under certain circumstances but to show how your opponents body will react when applied. It is up to the martial artist to adapt those movements to the right circumstances and the reactions of their opponent. Even if that means grafting half of one technique to half of another.
    Thankyou Zarnyk , I am very formilar what kenpo techniques teah or do not , And I agree with your comment they are artificial constructs to teach Ideas,

Yes I agree they are ideas

Thankyou

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links