Thread: October 2006 Technique Of The Month Circling The Horizon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default October 2006 Technique Of The Month Circling The Horizon

Circling the Horizon (Front- Right Step-Through Punch)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock comes at you with a right step-through punch.

2. Step your left foot to 9 o'clock as you execute a left inward parry to the outside of your attacker's right arm. During this action, have your right foot slide to your left into a right cat stance as your right hand circles clockwise covering past your groin, tracking under your left wrist. As you settle into the cat stance, execute a right vertical back knuckle to your attacker's right cheek bone.

3. Step your right foot to 1:30 into a right neutral bow facing 1:30 as you execute a right inward elbow to your attacker's right lower ribs. (Your left hand will execute a bracing angle check to your attacker's right arm.)

4. Sink into a right close kneel as you execute a right chopping hammerfist to the back of your attacker's right leg.

5. Follow through with your hand and immediately execute a right reverse hammerfist up to your attacker's groin. (Your left hand is still checking your attacker's arm.)

6. Cross out to 9 o'clock.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Default Re: October 2006 Technique Of The Month Circling The Horizon

At our school, we run this technique more like it is run in the Form ... Form 5 I believe (don't have that form yet).

After Step 4 (We use a handsword to the back of the knee), we take the aggressor down with a right leg sweep/right stiff arm shot to the chest. From there, both arms are together in front of us (we are on one knee), we execute a right kick through the aggressor's kidney, swinging our arms to our right hip as a counter balance, ending with a downward heel strike to the aggressors front.

I also thought that if one is running the shorter version of this technique, the groin shot in Step 5 was a ridge hand strike.

One more thought for now

This technique is in the Crane Family and is the inverse of Leaping Crane.

Leaping Crane the strikes are Low - Middle - High ... and the aggressor is dropped to the ground.

Circling the Horizon the strikes are High - Middle - Low ... and the defender drops to the ground.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

On target again Michael.

I've done the groin strike to the front but do not go down to one knee. The position helps me move into brushing the storm from there. Remember, when the leg doesnt' move that's when you execute the reverse handsword to the groin. As they start to bend over my hand is already in position to grab the inner thigh then step back with the right leg. Just a thought.

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

The only difference for me is #5 is a finger whip to the groin. I'll play with the takedown though, sounds like fun! This tech always kind of reminded me of Shield and Mace, at least the strikes do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crane557 View Post
    The only difference for me is #5 is a finger whip to the groin. I'll play with the takedown though, sounds like fun! This tech always kind of reminded me of Shield and Mace, at least the strikes do.

I see how it's like Shield and Mace. I do the chop to the groin as the #5 move.

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post

I've done the groin strike to the front but do not go down to one knee. The position helps me move into brushing the storm from there. Remember, when the leg doesnt' move that's when you execute the reverse handsword to the groin. As they start to bend over my hand is already in position to grab the inner thigh then step back with the right leg. Just a thought.
    The takedown is part of the extension. I like the graft though. I'll have to play with that.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    The takedown is part of the extension. I like the graft though. I'll have to play with that.
    Yes, I know it is. but this is a little different.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post
    Yes, I know it is. but this is a little different.
    I wasn't sure if you knew that one. I can see that it's different. It looks like a nice graft. As I said, I'll have to play with it. I can see how it would flow nicely.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links