Thread: August 2006 Technique of the Month - Clutching Feathers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default August 2006 Technique of the Month - Clutching Feathers

Clutching Feathers (Front-- Left Hand Hair Grab)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock grabs your hair with their left hand.

2. Step your left foot to 6 o'clock as you pin your attacker's hand with your left and cock your right hand at your right hip.

3. Unwind into a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock utilizing torque as you simultaneously execute a right vertical middle knuckle (or punch) to your attacker's right floating ribs.

4. As your attacker begins to bend over, pivot into a right forward bow facing 12 o'clock as you execute a left palm strike to your attacker's jaw simultaneously with a right extended outward block to the inside of your attacker's arm.

5. Unwind into a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you execute a right inward back knuckle diagonally across your attacker's nose.

6. Cross out towards 7:30.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Default Re: August 2006 Technique of the Month - Clutching Feathers

We end this technique at step 4. It certainly begs for more from that point.

We will place the right strike in the aggressor's armpit; a nasty shot there. And, from the armpit, we will execute a right vertical outward to a right extended outward block. This creates a bit of a frictional pull, bringing the aggressor toward the left heelpalm.

One common correction, is the right hand block often gets drawn back, almost to our own face. Both hands need to be in front of the body at Step 4. Keep that right extended outward block forward.

I think we probably don't include Step 5, as you include it in your write up, because the heel palm has hopefully moved the attacker out of range. Thinking about it here ... I might like to suffix a left thrust kick above the waist. The range might be right. And I'm set up for it in the forward bow.

Hmmm ....

Thanks Rob.

Thanks

I was taught pretty much like Michael:

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    We will place the right strike in the aggressor's armpit; a nasty shot there.
    There is a nerve just behind the pecs and under the shoulder where it joins the chest. Feel around till you get it- that's it, the one that made you flinch. That's your target.

And, from the armpit, we will execute a right vertical outward to a right extended outward block. This creates a bit of a frictional pull, bringing the aggressor toward the left heelpalm.
    I do a right vertical outward, keeping my right arm close to my head, but only as much as needed to maintain check on the left arm. Provides better pull, doesn't put his arm into orbit nor move my block past his fist, leaving him unchecked. I see this a lot with an extended outward, unles the dummy cooperates and holds his left in place.

One common correction, is the right hand block often gets drawn back, almost to our own face. Both hands need to be in front of the body at Step 4. Keep that right extended outward block forward.
    Actually, if not drawn back too far, keeping the block in close works much better. Better structure, stronger delivery of the heel palm.

I think we probably don't include Step 5, as you include it in your write up, because the heel palm has hopefully moved the attacker out of range. Thinking about it here ... I might like to suffix a left thrust kick above the waist. The range might be right. And I'm set up for it in the forward bow.
    Yes, a kick might work. I do a foot maneuver to make up the distance and allow the raking back knuckle to land across the bridge of his nose. One instructor told me to rake his chest with my back knuckle if he was too far- a poor third choice, though it did retain the original form of the technique.
    Last edited by thedan; 08-08-2006 at 10:09 AM.

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    We end this technique at step 4. It certainly begs for more from that point.

We will place the right strike in the aggressor's armpit; a nasty shot there. And, from the armpit, we will execute a right vertical outward to a right extended outward block. This creates a bit of a frictional pull, bringing the aggressor toward the left heelpalm.

Hmmm ....

Thanks Rob.
    I learned it as you did.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I have to say that I learned this technique like everyone else who has responded to this thread so far. Although I a have a few extras to add. First off like mentioned above, the first strike goes to the armpit, and then the verticle outward (with specific hand positioning) and following with the left heelpalm. Now here is where I differ; we were taught to include the back knuckle rake but only if the heelpalm did not move the attacker out of range. If the heelpalm knocks them back the rake is not necessary so cover and crossout. But if the heelpalm only stuns the attacker the left hand becomes a sliding pin for the aggressor's left arm as we follow through with the rake. And if you really wanna get nasty, after the heelpalm connects you can sneak in a claw over the attacker's face by continuing the motion of the heelpalm at a slightly upward angle and then pulling back down across the face with a claw which then becomes the sliding pin. Just some extra tid bits I thought I'd like to add.

Salute!
    "A warrior's ultimate act is to put down his sword"

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links