Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June 2006 Set Of The Month - Finger Set 1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default June 2006 Set Of The Month - Finger Set 1

Opening:
    1. Meditative horse stance.
    2. Chamber

1. Execute a right hand spear to your attacker's eyes.

2. Execute a left hand spear to your attacker's eyes.

3. Execute a mid-range right vertical hand spear to the attacker's mid-section.

4. Execute a midrange left vertical hand spear to the attacker's midsection

5. Execute a short-range right hand spear (palm up) to the attacker's
    midsection

6. Execute a short-range left hand spear (palm up) to the attacker's midsection

7. Execute a right inward elbow to your attacker's jaw. (Your right hand should be a closed two-finger spear over your left shoulder.)

8. Execute a left inward elbow to your attacker's jaw. (Your left hand should be a closed two-finger spear over your right shoulder.)

9. Bring the two fingers of your right hand to your left at your shoulder. Execute two downward finger slices that whip into your attacker's eyes and rake down.

10. Execute, with both hands, two vertical closed two-finger spears to your attacker's eyes.

11. Execute a cross block to your attacker's bladder (These are two palm heel strikes, with one hand over the other.)

12. Circle your hands in (towards your body) and stab out with two vertical one-finger eye pokes that cross with one arm over the other.

13. Execute a right hand crane finger-whip to your attacker's eyes as your left hand checks at the groin.

14. Execute a left hand crane finger-whip to your attacker's eyes as your right hand checks at the groin.

15. Execute a right hand crane finger-whip from your right hip into your attacker's groin as your left hand checks at your groin.

16. Execute a left hand crane finger-whip from your left hip into your attacker's groin as your right hand check at your groin.

17. As you chamber your left hand, execute a right hand closed two-finger spear (palm up) to your attacker's left eye. Rake it to the left using only your wrist. Rotate your wrist so as you are now raking back to the right, with your palm down. Rotate it again and scoop out the eye, pulling your hand back into chamber as a crane.

18. Execute a left closed two-finger spear (palm up) to your attacker's right eye. Rake it to the right using only your wrist. Rotate your wrist so as you are now raking back to the left, with your palm down. Rotate it again and scoop out the eye, pulling your hand back into chamber as a crane.

19. Execute a right palm heel strike to your attacker's face. Rotate your wrist to the left, so you rake across their face in a counterclockwise motion as a claw. Rotate your wrist back to the right so you are now raking across their face in a clockwise motion. Rotate your wrist once again to counterclockwise so you are raking the face again.

20. Execute a left palm heel strike to your attacker's face. Rotate your wrist clockwise as a claw and rake their face. Rotate your wrist back counterclockwise and rake their face. Rotate your wrist again in a clockwise motion and rake across their face again.

21. Execute a right overhead claw towards 12 o'clock as you simultaneously execute a left underhand claw to 6 o'clock.

22. Execute a left overhead claw towards 12 o'clock as you simultaneously execute a right underhand claw to 6 o'clock.

23. Execute simultaneous underhand claws; a right claw towards 12 o'clock and a left claw towards 6 o'clock.

24. Execute simultaneous underhand claws; a left claw towards 12 o'clock and a right claw towards 12 o'clock.

25. Execute a double thumb thrust into your attacker's eyes at 12 o'clock.

26. Execute two thumb thrusts; one towards 9 o'clock and one towards 3 o'clock.

27. Execute a right closed two-finger poke to their left eye at 12 o'clock; execute a left closed two-finger poke to their right eye at 12 o'clock.

28. Set into a meditative horse stance Close.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: June 2006 Set Of The Month - Finger Set 1

I think that's what we call our Level One. Our Level Two version incorporates positional checks, and parries.
    Very good description!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikael151 For This Useful Post:

Brother John (03-12-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

At step 7 & 8, we are focusing on the finger poke over the shoulder, rather than the inward elbow.

In order for an over the shoulder finger poke to be effective, we must use the principle of 'borrowed reach', which is implemented via a rear elbow strike with the other arm. The left rear elbow strike would (hopefully) cause an attacker to bend forward (soft target-hard bend), bringing their face closer to our shoulder, making the over the shoulder finger poke reach the aggressor's eyes. Same thing on the opposite side.

The finger set categorizes the 'inserts' we can use throughout the system and walks through the major methods of execution, yes? .

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

See, there you go...unecessarily complicating kenpo.

Finger set:

1. Poke the guy with some fingers.

2. Poke the guy with some fingers...and so on.

This stuff is easy, guys.

Have fun,

Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

Finger Set teaches the Kenpo practitioner different ways to strike using the open hand and categorizes the seven methods of execution: thrusting, snapping, whipping, slicing, raking, hammering, and hooking.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Omg - I love this set.
    It is my favorite!
    ...Maybe 'cause I'm good at it. LOL
    "Kenpo is like karate on steriods"

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    At step 7 & 8, we are focusing on the finger poke over the shoulder, rather than the inward elbow.

In order for an over the shoulder finger poke to be effective, we must use the principle of 'borrowed reach', which is implemented via a rear elbow strike with the other arm. The left rear elbow strike would (hopefully) cause an attacker to bend forward (soft target-hard bend), bringing their face closer to our shoulder, making the over the shoulder finger poke reach the aggressor's eyes. Same thing on the opposite side.

The finger set categorizes the 'inserts' we can use throughout the system and walks through the major methods of execution, yes? .
    This is how I learned it also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKKS_WolfGirl View Post
    Omg - I love this set.
    It is my favorite!
    ...Maybe 'cause I'm good at it. LOL
    Just wait until you know Finger Set 2.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I like this set as well.
    Owner & Chief Instructor
    Law Enforcement Asst Instructor
    Krav Fit Now
    www.kravfitnow.com
    281-687-4183

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Is it just me, or does this set have little relavance for a modern self-defence art? Striking with the fingers seems completely impractical on a number of levels: The potential to hurt oneself more than you hurt the other guy seems too great. For the majority of people, the only successful finger-strike they are ever going to pull off is a simple jab into someone's eye socket which is the other issue - and I hope you've got a good lawyer if you ever attempt that one for real.

Thanks

It is a great index of open hand weapons which includes, spear hands, finger thrusts, claws, whips, thumb pokes and knifehands.

In a true self defense situation if it meant my life I would have no qualms about poking a guys eye out, let him be blind in prison for all I care. As it is often quoted on this site, "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"
    There has also been a trend as of late in the US Court system to throw out the lawsuits where a person has been injured while committing a crime by someone defending themselves. Luckily up here in Canada we are not as litigation happy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Is it just me, or does this set have little relavance for a modern self-defence art? Striking with the fingers seems completely impractical on a number of levels: The potential to hurt oneself more than you hurt the other guy seems too great. For the majority of people, the only successful finger-strike they are ever going to pull off is a simple jab into someone's eye socket which is the other issue - and I hope you've got a good lawyer if you ever attempt that one for real.
    Our school was having a night of board breaking for the kids. Some hot shot father wanted to show off how tough he was, so he stepped up. He made contact with some 1 inch pine with the knuckle of his ring finger and pinky. (Okay, it may have been two 1-inch boards).

The X-Ray of his hand with the screws in the bones was shown around the school for weeks after.

All of the natural weapons, if not used properly, and not properly conditioned, can injure the self more than the other guy. One of the reasons we train is to learn to use our natural weapons correctly; so as to avoid the pretty x-rays.

Are there ways to practice finger strikes that would condition the natural weapon? Would such practice techniques increase the effectiveness of the strike, in needed? Were these natural weapons ever relevant? If not, how and why do you think they got into the system?

Just some things to think about ... I think.

Mike

14. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

Brother John (03-12-2008)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    Our school was having a night of board breaking for the kids. Some hot shot father wanted to show off how tough he was, so he stepped up. He made contact with some 1 inch pine with the knuckle of his ring finger and pinky. (Okay, it may have been two 1-inch boards).

The X-Ray of his hand with the screws in the bones was shown around the school for weeks after.
    priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledwardAll of the natural weapons, if not used properly, and not properly conditioned, can injure the self more than the other guy. One of the reasons we train is to learn to use our natural weapons correctly; so as to avoid the pretty x-rays.

Are there ways to practice finger strikes that would condition the natural weapon? Would such practice techniques increase the effectiveness of the strike, in needed? Were these natural weapons [U
    ever[/U] relevant? If not, how and why do you think they got into the system?

Just some things to think about ... I think.

Mike
    Definitely some good points, and I do believe the finger-strikes/pokes/whips were very relevant at some time. However I would wager that these strikes were 'imported' into kenpo from other systems (kungfu/whatever), simply as a way to demonstrate all of the possible striking options (web of knowledge blah blah etc). I would also wager that the systems that these strikes came from were decended from 'battlefield arts' and their very purpose is to maim and kill.

Although these strikes can be made to be very effective, my opinion is that the amount of conditioning to the hands which would be required to make them work, is far too excessive. Our culture today is not to spend an hour each morning thrusting (and damaging) your fingers + hands into buckets of sand. I just don't see the relevance of training a set which will never be used in real-life.

I always put this type of kenpo practice into the context of defending oneself against someone alot bigger/stronger/more aggressive. Apart from an eye-gouge, I don't believe any of the strikes demonstrated in the finger-set are the most effective way for an average personto strike somebody. I would much rather spend the time developing other open-hand strikes such as palm-heels - far more effective, stronger, and safer for both attacker+defender.

Thanks

What is ineffective with the claws which are in this set. The section with the rear elbow and poke overthe shoulder is also very effective. Something else that this set teaches is ranges and hieght dimensions. There is a lot of valuable information in this set if one is willing to invetsigate what is there.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

it also teaches the student how to change the projectory of the strike when you retract your movement to help set you up for your next move. And yes the hand spears do work with correct anotomical allinment.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Thank you for the awesome breakdown on Finger Set One, Sir!

That one got PDF'd... and will hang in my Garojo!

SOTM and TOTM are GREAT FEATURES here on KT!

Thank you for making it simple for a Kenpo newbie!

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew
    Andrew M. Goodwin - Student of the arts
    Middletown, DE

Blue Belt in Kenpo (5/12)
    9th Kyu in Budo Taijutsu (5/12)
    2nd Brown in TSD (8/98)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: June 2006 Set Of The Month - Finger Set 1

The relevence of this form in terms of practicality, would become crystal clear, if you studied nerve centers and pressure points. I rambled on for far too long on another thread entitled, "Looking at things a bit differently", but will paraphrase a bit here. Think of what a flathead screwdriver is designed for? It's ideally designed to screw/unscrew flathead screws. However, I imagine veryone one of us has discovered a plethora of uses for that simple tool. It can be used to pry things open. It can be used to chisel. The grip may be inverted and it can even act as an impromptu hammer in an emergency. I suspect you can probably name several other things you have used a flathead screwdriver for over the years. My point is this, some times there is more than one way to deliver or use a given strike. Some nerve centers can be activated via pressure and don't require extreme finger-breaking force to be effective. Most folks look at the strikes in finger set and assume that they are all strictly blunt-force trauma weapons. Are they ? I propose that they are not. Frequently nerve centers and pressure points require the small area of contact afforded by fingertips.

Also your Sam Pai cousins, use this simple set in other ways, which I don't see widely used. Most folk fall into the syncopated rythm of right-left-right-left, that this form tends to want to force you into, without concious thought. If you watch many folk do this form, particularly lower belts you can almost see them bounce with the 1-2, 1-2, 1-2 pace. We strive to fight this natural pattern, and use this form to work on broken rythym. By changing the cadence to sets of 3-4-5, or other counts than the standard 1-2, 1-2, it changes the nature of the form and adds an advanced element. It's not so easy to break this obvious pattern. Just something else to experiement with, while working this familiar drill.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Thanks

The set of the month for March 2008 is Finger Set 1. Lets see what we can add to this great thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

We only do one version of Finger Set, and this seems to be the middle portion. We do a standing section, a stance section and a moving section with the hand movements repeated in each.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    I think that's what we call our Level One. Our Level Two version incorporates positional checks, and parries.
    Very good description!
    The parries are there in level one as well.
    Sean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links