Thread: June 2006 Technique Of The Month Mace Of Aggression

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default June 2006 Technique Of The Month Mace Of Aggression

Mace of Aggression (Front- Two Hand Lapel Grab -Pulling In)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock grabs your lapels with both of their hands and pulls you in.

2. Simultaneously pin your attacker's hands with your left hand as you execute a right stomp to your attacker's right instep and a right overhead hammerfist to your attacker's face. (This strike should strike your attacker's face and continue onto the attacker's arms.)

3. Land in a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you collapse your right arm on top of your attacker's arms. (Utilize marriage of gravity with this strike.) Pull your right arm through into a chamber position. [Your right leg will be acting as a check on your attacker's right knee.]

4. Execute a right inward elbow strike to the left side of your attacker's jaw.

5. Shift forward as you execute a right outward elbow strike to the right side of your attacker's jaw.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: June 2006 Technique Of The Month Mace Of Aggression

Wow! 2/3 of the month gone, and nobody's commented? This is the Kenpo forum, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock grabs your lapels with both of their hands and pulls you in.
    That is a straight pull into the attacker. Right?

2. Simultaneously pin your attacker's hands with your left hand as you execute a right stomp to your attacker's right instep and a right overhead hammerfist to your attacker's face. (This strike should strike your attacker's face and continue onto the attacker's arms.)
    I learned this several ways, but my favorite is a straight thrusting hammerfist into his left eye socket. Quicker, less likely to be sliped, and you borrow his force better. It moves his head back better too. Also, the overhead hammerfist is more akin to the raking knuckle strike in Raking Mace, which is for a pull with a circular component.

3. Land in a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you collapse your right arm on top of your attacker's arms. (Utilize marriage of gravity with this strike.) Pull your right arm through into a chamber position. [Your right leg will be acting as a check on your attacker's right knee.]
    From the thrusting hammerfist, it is quick and simple to drop a well anchored elbow for a low raking inward block, bringing him in (but not into a head-butt) and turning him slightly, head back and upright, presenting a perfect target for the elbow. I don't go to a full chambered position, as this would be a momentary loss of contact/control. The move is self chambering and more effective (my opinion) from point of origin.

Yessir!!!

5. Shift forward as you execute a right outward elbow strike to the right side of your attacker's jaw.
    I know the base is written that way, but the target is probably not there. I just improvise unless the dummy gives it to me.

Question- at what point do you let go the pin to his grab? I've been taught:

* As you execute the raking inward block, to get his hands off as soon as possible.

* As you execute the inward elbow, to move him back so the next strike drives him.

* As you execute the second elbow, so you have better control throughout the technique.

My preference is the first option, as you execute the raking inward block, adding a left pressing check with the left arm to control both his arms.

How d'ya'll doit?

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

How is the foot stomp supposed to work. To his right instep has you in a crossed up stance, or side horse or something. ??? Are you then in position for the elbow techniques that are to follow?
    "The heart of the Kenpo System has always been practical-effective- Self Defense Techniques." Al Tracy

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Gary View Post
    How is the foot stomp supposed to work. To his right instep has you in a crossed up stance, or side horse or something. ??? Are you then in position for the elbow techniques that are to follow?
    Depending on how he is standing on the pull. I've found that while practicing, sometimes I get the right foot..sometimes the left toes...others I wind up with a knee to knee check.
    Either way when my foot comes down to land the neutral bow I make sure there is enough oomph to make it count.

If you want to have some fun with it...try a front kick to the shin planting between the legs as a check as your dropping into your neutral bow. Did this one to my brother and believe me he was not thrilled ...that'll teach him to eat my piece of pizza
    MikeinAK
    Warning: Disposition subject to change without notice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeinAK For This Useful Post:

Brother John (12-20-2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post

maybe a quick breakdown of my thoughts on this technique: ((can't believe I've missed it up to now.......SHEEESH I'm slackin))

I don't think I agree with the "Simultaneous" part. The pin should slightly precede the step/stomp I think. I mean, why do we pin at all? In order to control their hands as we move toward them and so that they cannot use them to inhibit what we are about to do to their face with our right hand.

Where to place the marriage of gravity.
    That's a good question. Do you apply it to the hammer to the face OR the collapsing of the arms. I can't see doing the initial hammer without stepping forward WITH it, but does it hit while in motion OR with the planting (stomping) of the right foot? .....experimentation time.

I don't see the need to pull the right arm all the way through into a chambered position. If you know how to shift your hips and create a strong inward elbow strike, this pull through to a chambered position seems a waste of motion and will leave you open to their forward momentum as their arm was just collapsed (hard) by your right arms action.
    This is my first time seeing attacking mace with JUST a right inward elbow to their jaw....I've always seen it as an elbow sandwich with the left hand bracing the right side of their jaw. This then leaves the left hand in an advantageous checking position as you execute the next movement.

5. Shift forward as you execute a right outward elbow strike to the right side of your attacker's jaw
    I actually prefer to drop this slightly and send it into their sternum or solar-plexus (depending on relative height). Then the left hand serves as a find positional check infront of their face. (happy accident = their head snaps forward and fingers to the eyes...)

thoughts??

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links