Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March 2006 - Technique Of The Month - Snapping Twig

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default March 2006 - Technique Of The Month - Snapping Twig

Snapping Twig (Front- Left Hand Chest Push)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock pushes you in the chest with their left hand.

2. Step your left foot back to 6 o'clock into a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you execute a right inward palm strike to the outside your attacker's left elbow as you simultaneously execute a left palm strike to the inside of your attacker's wrist.

3. Immediately following this strike you should hook over your attacker's arm with your right hand and frictionally pull your attacker's left arm down and past your right hip. Simultaneous with this action, pivot into a right forward bow as you execute a left thrusting outward hand sword to your attacker's throat.

4. Pivot back into a right neutral bow as you execute a right raking hammerfist diagonally across your attacker's nose.

5. Push drag to 12 o'clock as you execute a right inward elbow and a left palm strike to your attacker's face.

6. Cross out towards 7:30.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: March 2006 - Technique Of The Month - Snapping Twig

We do it a little different, of course:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    2. Step your left foot back to 6 o'clock into a right neutral bow facing 12 o'clock as you execute a right inward palm strike to the outside your attacker's left elbow as you simultaneously execute a left palm strike to the inside of your attacker's wrist.
    The right heel palm strike should deliver at an angle which will hyper extend or break the elbow.

3. Immediately following this strike you should hook over your attacker's arm with your right hand and frictionally pull your attacker's left arm down and past your right hip. Simultaneous with this action, pivot into a right forward bow as you execute a left thrusting outward hand sword to your attacker's throat.
    We strike the mastoid/left side of the neck, which sets up our next shot a little better (though it wouldn't make that much difference).

4. Pivot back into a right neutral bow as you execute a right raking hammerfist diagonally across your attacker's nose.
    Right thrusting hammerfist to his left eye.

I actually like the way you listed it a little better, but it is good to play with both. Doing it your way I have to watch out that my left checking hand isn't too high so that my arms aren't cross centerline and too far to the right. Bad habbit, I need to work on.

Thanks

I know a lot of people shuffle forward as they execute the left handsword but I don't prefer that method and feel it is unnecessary. After the elbow break, your right arm should do a frictional pull on the opponent's left arm, thereby pulling the opponent into you for the left handsword. No sooner that you hit him with the handsword, your right arm stays in a continuous orbit (similar to throwing a baseball as Huk Planas once told me) as you hammer the opponent's face and continue on with the technique.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I learned it this way:
    1) Step back into a right neutral bow trapping opponent's left hand to your right shoulder with your left hand (pulling opponent's arm taunt)

2) Execute a rising palm heel smash to opponoent's left elbow

3) Circle counter clockwise executing a right vertical inward block knocking oppoent's arm away

4) Step drag forward building momentum as you continue to circle counter clockwise executing a right center kuckle strike to oppoennt's left temple

5) Step drag forward building momentum as you continue to circle counter clockwise executing a right round elbow sandwich (create a backstop with your left hand against right side of opponent's head)

The more traditional version sounds cool though. I'm going to practice it that way this weekend.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    I know a lot of people shuffle forward as they execute the left handsword but I don't prefer that method and feel it is unnecessary. After the elbow break, your right arm should do a frictional pull on the opponent's left arm, thereby pulling the opponent into you for the left handsword. No sooner that you hit him with the handsword, your right arm stays in a continuous orbit (similar to throwing a baseball as Huk Planas once told me) as you hammer the opponent's face and continue on with the technique.
    Exactly how I do it sir.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

here is something to think about...

the initial response to the left handed push in snapping twig is similar to the initial response to the right handed push in glancing salute, basically pin and attack the elbow joint...

BUT

we step back in glancing salute and step in towards the opponent in snapping twig...

Any ideas as to WHY....

pete

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete

the initial response to the left handed push in snapping twig is similar to the initial response to the right handed push in glancing salute, basically pin and attack the elbow joint...

BUT

we step back in glancing salute and step in towards the opponent in snapping twig...

Any ideas as to WHY....

pete
    Don't know, can't say as we step back on both. The reason we step back is to pull the oppoent's arm as tight as possible prior to executing the elbow smash. The more taunt the arm, the more damage can be done to the joint.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

BUT

Any ideas as to WHY....

pete
    Umm...I don't know about every one else but I was taught to step back with both of those techniques. Glancing Salute you step back with your right foot. Snapping Twig you step back with your left foot. But I do agree with you both of these techniques intiatial responses are similar. Both are pinning and attacking the elbow joint.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Any ideas as to WHY....
    Glancing Salute the right cross shoulder push. Your right side will go to the rear. I was taught to step forward as well. Maybe your back is against a wall. I find much more power with the elbow break by moving forward.
    To execute snapping twig you must yield back to gain access for the arm to straighten. Stepping forward you might as well do triggered salute on the opposite side .

Glancing salute will work going forward or backward, it also depends on the depth of the attack.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I've done it both, step forward and back.. this is the way we teach it though

1. Standing with your feet together, immediately and simultaneously (1) drop back with your left foot toward 6 o'clock into a right neutral bow (facing 12 o'clock), (2) execute a right hooking inward horizontal heel palm strike to the outside of your opponent's left elbow along "with" (3) a left inward horizontal heel palm strike to the inside of your opponent's left wrist (principle of FULCRUMING). (This should cancel your opponent's width zones.)
    2. Immediately (1) have your right hand (while forming the shape of a crane) hook over the top of your opponent's left arm, then (2) FRICTIONALLY PULL (yank) your opponent's left arm down and past your right hip, while (3) pivoting into a right forward along "with" (4) a thrusting left outward handsword strike (palm down and thumb toward you) to your opponent's throat. (This action should initially bring his head down and toward you as your left handsword "stops" his forward momentum.)
    3. Pivot into a right neutral bow (still facing 12 o'clock) as you execute a right inward raking back knuckle strike diagonally down across the bridge of your opponent's nose. During this action utilize the reverse motion of your left hand as a sliding check on your opponent's left arm. (Your opponent's head should turn clockwise to his right.)
    4. Shuffle forward (push‑drag) as you continue the counterclockwise motion of your right arm, but now ADJUST your orbit, and execute a right inward horizontal elbow strike to the left side of your opponent's jaw without disrupting the flow of action. Simultaneously with this action deliver a left inward horizontal heel palm strike to the right side of your opponent's jaw to cause a SANDWICHING effect. (Your opponent at this point may be rendered unconscious.)
    5. Right front crossover, and cover out toward 7:30.

"Corrupt, but Ruthless."

Thanks

My concern with stepping into an opponent when attacked in this manner is that by doing so you allow them room to move; enabling them to collapse the arm/fold it so that the elbow joint in no longer taunt. With the opponent's arm in this position it would drastically reduce your ability or chances to damage the elbow joint. Especially if they then anchor their arm to thier torso. Then you find yourself within grappling range and increase the chances of going to the ground.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Celtic_Crippler, that likely why the very next move of Glancing Salute (where you step in) is the right heel palm to drive him back, while the next move of Snapping Twig (where you step back) is the 'shape of the crane' frictional pull to bring him back towards you.

I'm thinking that the attacks are different, not just left handed push vs. right handed, but a physical difference that would cause you to respond differently...

what do you train as the attack for Snapping Twig and for Glancing Salute?

pete

Thanks

Further back along the thread I posted the "version" we practice for Snapping Twig. I was thinking about glancing lance for some reason instead of glancing salute. Duh....so scrach what I said in reference to that one. LOL.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I just leaned this one, i love it
    www.musicmen.ca

When words fail, music speaks

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I just leaned this one, i love it
    cool, was there a difference in the attacks used in snapping twig from glancing salute (aside from the left hand vs right)?

pete

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTess

I've done it both, step forward and back.. this is the way we teach it though

1. Standing with your feet together, immediately and simultaneously (1) drop back with your left foot toward 6 o'clock into a right neutral bow (facing 12 o'clock), (2) execute a right hooking inward horizontal heel palm strike to the outside of your opponent's left elbow along "with" (3) a left inward horizontal heel palm strike to the inside of your opponent's left wrist (principle of FULCRUMING). (This should cancel your opponent's width zones.)
    2. Immediately (1) have your right hand (while forming the shape of a crane) hook over the top of your opponent's left arm, then (2) FRICTIONALLY PULL (yank) your opponent's left arm down and past your right hip, while (3) pivoting into a right forward along "with" (4) a thrusting left outward handsword strike (palm down and thumb toward you) to your opponent's throat. (This action should initially bring his head down and toward you as your left handsword "stops" his forward momentum.)
    3. Pivot into a right neutral bow (still facing 12 o'clock) as you execute a right inward raking back knuckle strike diagonally down across the bridge of your opponent's nose. During this action utilize the reverse motion of your left hand as a sliding check on your opponent's left arm. (Your opponent's head should turn clockwise to his right.)
    4. Shuffle forward (push‑drag) as you continue the counterclockwise motion of your right arm, but now ADJUST your orbit, and execute a right inward horizontal elbow strike to the left side of your opponent's jaw without disrupting the flow of action. Simultaneously with this action deliver a left inward horizontal heel palm strike to the right side of your opponent's jaw to cause a SANDWICHING effect. (Your opponent at this point may be rendered unconscious.)
    5. Right front crossover, and cover out toward 7:30.

What she said for the IDEAL PHASE of the technique, and it sets up the extension. Do I DO it other ways, of course! My perogative as a Black Belt ... plus it is fun to play with the WHAT IF'S.

-Michael
    “The superior man cultivates a friendly harmony, without being weak.—How firm is he in his energy! He stands erect in the middle without inclining to either side.—How firm is he in his energy!”
    ~Confucius

Kenpo-Texas.com

AKTS.US

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

BUT

Any ideas as to WHY....

pete
    1. snapping Twig - Step back to straighten arm. Also step back because if you use the energy of a L direct push to your R shoulder you will rotate into the inside and suddenly be doing the L side of Triggered salute. If you try to rotate to the outside of the direct push your likely to bend your opponents elbow.
    2. Glancing salute is a cross push so rotating the L shoulder forward puts you on the outside of your opponents arm a, safer location. the opponent is not given a signal to withdraw their arm so the hyper extension is still there. Glancing salute works forward or backward depending on the nature of the attack. I find it difficult to step forward with a hard aggressive push which unbalances me.

Jeff

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

with Snapping Twig, when we step back, pin, and palm heel the elbow, we're trying to minimize our opponents aggression before the brunt of it reaches us. in Glancing Salute, when our opponents makes positive contact with the push, we step forward with the left and let our right shoulder go with, or "ride," the force of the attack. both techniques are against pushes to our right shoulder but with different methods of dealing with the attacker's aggression and force.
    Last edited by Chronuss; 03-09-2006 at 08:45 PM.
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chronuss
    with Snapping Twig, when we step back, pin, and palm heel the elbow, we're trying to minimize our opponents aggression before the brunt of it reaches us. in Glancing Salute, when our opponents makes positive contact with the push, we step forward with the left and let our right shoulder go with, or "ride," the force of the attack. both techniques against pushes to our right shoulder but with different methods of dealing with the attacker's aggression and force.

Great observations.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

i'd argue here that if Snapping Twig was against a push to the right shoulder, we'd either be stepping back with our right or stepping in with our left as a natural reaction... and the technique would unfold from there.

anybody practice Snapping Twig against a left handed push directly on center?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links