Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March 2006 Technique Of The Month - Sword and Hammer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default March 2006 Technique Of The Month - Sword and Hammer

Sword and Hammer (Flank Shoulder Grab)
    1. An attacker at 3 o'clock grabs your right shoulder with their left hand.

2. As you pin his hand with your left hand, step to 3 o'clock with your right foot into a horse stance as you execute a right outward handsword to your attacker's throat.

3. Follow directly with a right hammer fist to the attacker's groin. (Utilize marriage of gravity with this strike. Sink with the strike.)
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

dgkastner (06-16-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: March 2006 Technique Of The Month - Sword and Hammer

Be sure to look first and make sure it's not your friend/family!!

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

short and simple. I like the trampolining concept in this tech
    "Say hello to Susan"
    -SGM Ed Parker

Thanks

I really like sword and hammer - its simple and effective.

I also like reversing it if Im against a taller opponent...but then I guess that would make it Hammer and Sword
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

I think we run this technique with an attack more from the 4:30 line.

We also stress that during the outward handsword, we turn toward the attacker; always face your work.

Lastly, on the hammerfist to the groin, we don't sink to utilize marriage of gravity, but rather to create the appropriate angle of entry. We like to strike the groin in an upward manner ... on the far side of the circle.

Mike

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    I think we run this technique with an attack more from the 4:30 line.
    agreed.

...We like to strike the groin in an upward manner ... on the far side of the circle. Mike
    upward? are you dropping really low as in close kneel kind of low and circling upward with the hammerfist?
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks

Short and sweet, just like obscure wing. With all of those kinds of techniques you sould bounce of into each shot. Like everyone else has said a "trampoline" like motion.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I love short-sweet-direct-knock-em-out techniques. My time is valuable. I ain't got time to waste on no thugs. LOL.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction."
    As your handsword drives your opponent's head back, his groin may jut forward. Quickly strike your opponent's groin with your hammerfist to borrow this force as well as include marriage of gravity obtained when bending your knees at the precise moment of your hammerfist strike.
    "Corrupt, but Ruthless."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTess
    For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction."
    As your handsword drives your opponent's head back, his groin may jut forward. Quickly strike your opponent's groin with your hammerfist to borrow this force as well as include marriage of gravity obtained when bending your knees at the precise moment of your hammerfist strike.
    Yes ma'am! Thanks for bringing up principles behind the technique! We also have some "anatomical positioning" going on there "groin may jut forward" Can anyone think of any more??
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    upward? are you dropping really low as in close kneel kind of low and circling upward with the hammerfist?
    A wide kneel stance, I believe.

Although, I don't think we need to sink as far as one might think. But, I'm pretty certain we are instructed to use a circular strike to the groin. We do need to get low enough, and circular enough, to get our hammerfist out beyond our elbow.

I am fairly confident noting that we are not trained to execute a downward hammerfirst, as others here are describing. For some of us, what juts forward is a beer belly (even those of us who don't drink).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu
    I also like reversing it if Im against a taller opponent...
    You could. But one of the reasons for the order of strikes in this technique is that he may be grabing to set you up for a strike with his right hand. The path of your handsword is a check for this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    You could. But one of the reasons for the order of strikes in this technique is that he may be grabing to set you up for a strike with his right hand. The path of your handsword is a check for this.
    Like I said, something to think about when going against a much larger attacker.

Besdies, if I get him real good in the balls, I don't think he'll worry too much about his other arm.

It is all merely food for thought
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

I am fairly confident noting that we are not trained to execute a downward hammerfirst, as others here are describing. For some of us, what juts forward is a beer belly (even those of us who don't drink).
    It could be that in the area where you train, there are a lot more people afflicted with the dickydoo disease than in other areas.

Are you familiar with it?

It's when your stomach sticks out more than your dicky do.

I guess in that situation, you'd need to get low and go up to avoid being squished by the buddha belly.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thanks for that, babe. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    It could be that in the area where you train, there are a lot more people afflicted with the dickydoo disease than in other areas.

I guess in that situation, you'd need to get low and go up to avoid being squished by the buddha belly.

--Amy
    Just love this woman.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks

--Amy
    Not only can I not believe you posted that...I can't believe I laughed at it. That condition is rampant in the South. It's an epidemic!

I'm wondering what would happen if they had extensive reach over you? In other words, what if their throat is not within striking range?

Thanks

It could be that in the area where you train, there are a lot more people afflicted with the dickydoo disease than in other areas ... It's when your stomach sticks out more than your dicky do.
    OK, since you brought it up...

Couple of other problems to be aware of with the groin strike:

Baggy or sagging pants can attenuate the force of your strike and make it ineffective. Watch your angle of incidence and go in more from the front. Best if he's leaning back from your first strike as KT said.

In some cultures, one of which is very common in the US, it is a popular thing for the men to wear a type of "falsie". They roll and tape a rag or cloth and stick it in their underwear or tape it to their leg. (You really get to know more about people than you want on an ambulance crew or in the ER). Anyhow, you may not be aiming at what you think.

I apologise- in addition to embarassing myself, I've probably just ruined this thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    I'm wondering what would happen if they had extensive reach over you? In other words, what if their throat is not within striking range?
    The way we run this technique, we are turning toward and stepping into the attacker. That, I would think, would allow me to properly guage the distance to the attacker.

Additionally, as I think about it, the attack is not static. Why would the attacker be grabbing me with his left hand, but to strike with the right. I think, in the ideal phase, we are taught the shoulder grab is a: "Grab - Push - Pull" into an oncoming right. If his right is going to be able to reach me, across his body width, my right does not need to cover that extra body width distance.

I do need to be moving quickly enough for my first strike to land before his does, as I have no defense against that right punch, do I?

Just a quick aside .... when I first went through our Yellow Belt curriculum, this technique was not a part of the requirements ... (we still do Intellectual Departure). It has been added to our curriculum as a rather mandatory "Optional" technique. Our yellow belt chart now includes thirteen techniques --- gee, I wonder if any techtotripophobics have dropped out of our school because of that? Hmmmm --- so, anyhow, talking through this technique is interesting, because I have not analyzed it as closely as some of my other Yellow Belt techniques.

P.S. Did you noticed I (almost) completely ignored what, in this part of the country, we call the 'Dunlap' disease ... that's were you belly dun lap over your belt. I don't think it is refered to by that 'other' name, cuz we men is so, well, manly

Thanks

The way we run this technique, we are turning toward and stepping into the attacker. That, I would think, would allow me to properly guage the distance to the attacker.

I do need to be moving quickly enough for my first strike to land before his does, as I have no defense against that right punch, do I?

P.S. Did you noticed I (almost) completely ignored what, in this part of the country, we call the 'Dunlap' disease ... that's were you belly dun lap over your belt. I don't think it is refered to by that 'other' name, cuz we men is so, well, manly.
    I see what you mean about it not being static. If someone pulls you to punch you, then that first strike will have to be fast. Chances are, that will be plenty enough to send them staggering back, but the follow-up hammerfist is good to add in case they don't.

-Amy

P.S. Dunlap is a whole other disease. Women get something like that too. It's called the Furniture Disease. It's when your chest drops into your drawers.
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Additionally, as I think about it, the attack is not static. Why would the attacker be grabbing me with his left hand, but to strike with the right. I think, in the ideal phase, we are taught the shoulder grab is a: "Grab - Push - Pull" into an oncoming right. If his right is going to be able to reach me, across his body width, my right does not need to cover that extra body width distance.
    He could be pulling you into an alley, stoping you from attacking his friend, stop you getting away, getting your attention, ...

No, the technique leaves you in position to deal with this, almost automatically. The path of the handsword strike is a checking, or clearing motion. Have someone grab and pull, and try to punch you at the same time. To strike effectively, the punch will have to deploy as he pulls, so it is at least a half beat late. If you immediately pin, step and strike, you can easily catch his punch with our right. The technique is blown, but you are now in the dominant position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links