Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Doc

Thread: July 2020 TOM Circling The Horizon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,046 Times in 632 Posts

Default July 2020 TOM Circling The Horizon

Circling the Horizon (Front- Right Step-Through Punch)
    1. An attacker at 12 o'clock comes at you with a right step-through punch.

2. Step your left foot to 9 o'clock as you execute a left inward parry to theoutside of your attacker's right arm. During this action, have your right footslide to your left into a right cat stance as your right hand circles clockwisecovering past your groin, tracking under your left wrist. As you settle intothe cat stance, execute a right vertical back knuckle to your attacker's rightcheek bone.

3. Step your right foot to 1:30 into a right neutral bow facing 1:30 as youexecute a right inward elbow to your attacker's right lower ribs. (Your lefthand will execute a bracing angle check to your attacker's right arm.)

4. Sink into a right close kneel as you execute a right chopping hammerfist tothe back of your attacker's right leg.

5. Follow through with your hand and immediately execute a right reversehammerfist up to your attacker's groin. (Your left hand is still checking yourattacker's arm.)

6. Cross out to 9 o'clock.

Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Default Re: July 2020 TOM Circling The Horizon

Quote Originally Posted by KirkS View Post
    Circling the Horizon (Front- Right Step-Through Punch)
    2. ... as your right hand circles clockwise, covering past your groin, tracking under your left wrist. ...

I would suggest that you not use the motion described here.

The 'New Hand Rule' suggests you should not use the new hand from the inside. This lesson is first presented in Long Form 1, with the block sequences.

Moving your right hand below your left inward parry, as described in this step, can lead to it being trapped; if the attacker collapses his elbow on to the parry.

In order to use the new hand ... (in this technique the right hand is 'new', as the left has been 'used' executing the parry) ... from the inside ... (closer to your body than your left) ... it must be used from above the 'used' hand.

So, as you step off to the left, and the left hand executes the parrying block, chamber the right hand high, at your right pectoral muscle. This will allow you to snap the right weapon at the attacker's cheekbone, while staying above your left.

So, in this technique, we learn the exception to the 'New Hand Rule'; in order to use the New Hand from the Inside, it must be used above the 'used' hand.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

KirkS (07-02-2020)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    http://www.kenpoguy.com/phasic-kombatives-integrated/phasic-kombatives/
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    I would suggest that you not use the motion described here.

The 'New Hand Rule' suggests you should not use the new hand from the inside. This lesson is first presented in Long Form 1, with the block sequences.

Moving your right hand below your left inward parry, as described in this step, can lead to it being trapped; if the attacker collapses his elbow on to the parry.

In order to use the new hand ... (in this technique the right hand is 'new', as the left has been 'used' executing the parry) ... from the inside ... (closer to your body than your left) ... it must be used from above the 'used' hand.

So, as you step off to the left, and the left hand executes the parrying block, chamber the right hand high, at your right pectoral muscle. This will allow you to snap the right weapon at the attacker's cheekbone, while staying above your left.

So, in this technique, we learn the exception to the 'New Hand Rule'; in order to use the New Hand from the Inside, it must be used above the 'used' hand.
    And I would say that this exception is made primarily based on the fact that the left "parry" should be executed in more of an overhead heel of palm on a #8 plane so that it's clearing the right arm and happening as the right punch to the face is traveling to it's intended target. (this will look more circular and has additional canceling properties) In this we can avoid the "trapping" of our own hand/weapon. Now I understand that the "parry" in question is not a parry the way I do it. And that is the point, if we look at the timing of these initial actions chambering the right punching hand to the pectoralis is not really a "suitable" or functional option IMHO. it also changes the method of execution and path or line of travel of the weapon itself.
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,939 Times in 5,595 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    And I would say that this exception is made primarily based on the fact that the left "parry" should be executed in more of an overhead heel of palm on a #8 plane so that it's clearing the right arm and happening as the right punch to the face is traveling to it's intended target. (this will look more circular and has additional canceling properties) In this we can avoid the "trapping" of our own hand/weapon. Now I understand that the "parry" in question is not a parry the way I do it. And that is the point, if we look at the timing of these initial actions chambering the right punching hand to the pectoralis is not really a "suitable" or functional option IMHO. it also changes the method of execution and path or line of travel of the weapon itself.
    Then stop calling it a "parry." We do not parry. Typically "parries" work better for your attacker than you, I guess that's why many of us don't parry at all. I have some bad news for you sir. What you're doing is coming dangerously close to what I call a B.A.M. Block. And as for parries, Mr. Parker taught me that if by necessity you should have to utilize a "parry," it should never be executed as a stand alone defensive action. I heard the same from Sifu Ark Wong. It is designed to be supplemented by another action either offensively or defensively. Parries are popular because they are "easy." Good blocks and good defensive skills are few.
    sumdumguy and jfarnsworth like this.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

sumdumguy (2 Weeks Ago)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    http://www.kenpoguy.com/phasic-kombatives-integrated/phasic-kombatives/
    Thanks

Cool Re: July 2020 TOM Circling The Horizon

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Then stop calling it a "parry." We do not parry. Typically "parries" work better for your attacker than you, I guess that's why many of us don't parry at all. I have some bad news for you sir. What you're doing is coming dangerously close to what I call a B.A.M. Block. And as for parries, Mr. Parker taught me that if by necessity you should have to utilize a "parry," it should never be executed as a stand alone defensive action. I heard the same from Sifu Ark Wong. It is designed to be supplemented by another action either offensively or defensively. Parries are popular because they are "easy." Good blocks and good defensive skills are few.
    Well aside from the fact that it's good to see you on the board again, I was using his/her terminology for the purpose of the discussion. I in fact do not do that as a parry but.... well you already know.
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "learning should be an endless process, learning how to continually learn is the key and requires the release of ego"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sumdumguy For This Useful Post:

KirkS (2 Weeks Ago)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    Well aside from the fact that it's good to see you on the board again, I was using his/her terminology for the purpose of the discussion. I in fact do not do that as a parry but.... well you already know.
    Of course you don't.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

jfarnsworth is online now Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    ... and yet again, why you’re needed on the seminar circuit.
    You are not here to win friends. You are not here to look pretty. You are not here to stare at some chick's @ss. You know why you're here. And if you don't, then get the **** out because you're just taking up space......So SHUT up and TRAIN - Flex Mag.

`If you wish to get ahold of me please contact me at jhfarnsworth@yahoo.com.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jfarnsworth For This Useful Post:

Doc (2 Weeks Ago),KirkS (2 Weeks Ago)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Seminar! Seminar! Seminar!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lenatoi For This Useful Post:

KirkS (2 Weeks Ago)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Pay no attention, that's my daughter.

www.MSUACF.com

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KirkS (1 Week Ago)

jfarnsworth is online now Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

But she’s right. Somehow we need to get you to Ohio.
    You are not here to win friends. You are not here to look pretty. You are not here to stare at some chick's @ss. You know why you're here. And if you don't, then get the **** out because you're just taking up space......So SHUT up and TRAIN - Flex Mag.

`If you wish to get ahold of me please contact me at jhfarnsworth@yahoo.com.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jfarnsworth For This Useful Post:

KirkS (1 Week Ago)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links