Thread: January 2020 TOM - Five Swords

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 630 Posts

Default January 2020 TOM - Five Swords

Five Swords:
    (Front-Right Step-Through Punch)

1. An attacker at 12 o'clock comes at you with a right step-through punch.

2. Step your right foot to 12 o'clock into a right neutral bow facing 12o'clock as you execute a right inward block to your attacker's forearm, yourleft hand checking at the wrist.

3. Immediately execute a right outward handsword to your attacker's neck.

4. Pivot into a right forward bow facing 12 o'clock as you execute a left palmstrike to your attacker's face. (Your right hand will cock at your right hip.)

5. Take advantage of the anticipated response (i.e. their gut jutting forwarddue to the strike) and execute a right uppercut punch as you pivot back into aright neutral bow facing 12 o'clock.

6. Slide your foot to 4:30 as you execute a left outward handsword to yourattacker's neck.

7. Pivot into a right neutral bow facing 10:30 as you pull your attacker in andexecute a right inward handsword to the back of your attacker's neck.

8. Cross out towards 4:30.
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,897 Times in 5,568 Posts

Default Re: January 2020 TOM - Five Swords

Quote Originally Posted by KirkS View Post
    Five Swords:

2. Step your right foot to 12 o'clock into a right neutral bow facing 12o'clock as you execute a right inward block to your attacker's forearm, yourleft hand checking at the wrist.

4. Pivot into a right forward bow facing 12 o'clock as you execute a left palmstrike to your attacker's face. (Your right hand will cock at your right hip.)

5. Take advantage of the anticipated response (i.e. their gut jutting forwarddue to the strike) and execute a right uppercut punch as you pivot back into aright neutral bow facing 12 o'clock.

6. Slide your foot to 4:30 as you execute a left outward handsword to yourattacker's neck.

7. Pivot into a right neutral bow facing 10:30 as you pull your attacker in andexecute a right inward handsword to the back of your attacker's neck.

Dysfunctional.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Dysfunctional.
    Doc,
    Wasn't this some sort of drill at first or am I thinking for a different technique
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,897 Times in 5,568 Posts

Doc,
    Wasn't this some sort of drill at first or am I thinking for a different technique
    Originally it was a technique that was called the "Five Count" even though as it morphed over the years it had more than five moves that were all done open handed "Hand sword" style and the punch to the body was a "spear hand." when done as an extension, it has between 7 and 8 moves depending upon interpretation and the spear hand was changed to an "Inverted Punch" (not an "upper-cut" as many choose to call it.

The problem with the technique sir, is with all the talk of "controlling height width and depth." most Kenpo and styles virtually "forget" about the other hand. This is easy to do when the attacker throws a single punch and then suddenly becomes passive so the defender can execute the technique. Nowhere is there any consideration for trying to defend from the inside on the centerline to an attacker that not only has two hands, but is quite capable of making the first punch a feint. And last but not least, in my seventy years plus on the planet and many years of street encounters professionally, I have NEVER EVER seen anyone lead with and throw a "step-through" punch to attack someone. Yet, many still practice this way as if it was defending against a street encounter that doesn't exist.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

KirkS (01-09-2020)

Thanks

Five Swords:

First of many questions..

Right step through punch... right straight? Right Cross? Right hook? right uppercut?....

Second...

If he is stepping through and throwing a strike that means that you are at the strike range, if you are stepping forward to 12 then you are closing that distance. You are stepping forward.. he is stepping forward... you are now in grappling range.... maybe in range to hit the forearm with your right if you step up the circle with your left to change your angle.... but that also puts your back to their left arm which as of yet has not been taken out of the scenario.

Third.. don't chamber at your waist.. simply recover from the right hand sword into an orbit for the uppercut.. Dont stop your momentum with a chamber.

4th.. slide foot to 4:30 into.... right kneel, close kneel, right twist, right Cat.... gotta give me more than that....

All in all.. it's that first step and attack that made my brain hurt.

Try this.. attack - Right haymaker

left dropping back to a right neutral left checking the wrist right hammering the crap out of the attackers bicep. Think first step of Short 1 form. Play from there.

Doc... thoughts other than Dysfunctional? I know you are far more Loquacious than that.

Bunners
    Last edited by MrBunny; 01-13-2020 at 02:23 PM. Reason: addition
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

KirkS (01-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 671 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny View Post
    Third.. don't chamber at your waist.. simply recover from the right hand sword into an orbit for the uppercut.. Dont stop your momentum with a chamber.
    Just a thought concerning 'into an orbit'

As written here .. the right handsword has an outward direction.

I would suggest 'outward, downward diagonal' direction. As such, the conclusion of that direction is at the hip, which is the position for a the 'uppercut' (inverted punch).

Using an outward (horizontal) handsword would allow for the orbit you describe. This is pretty common; leaves the right ribs exposed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

KirkS (01-13-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    Just a thought concerning 'into an orbit'

As written here .. the right handsword has an outward direction.

I would suggest 'outward, downward diagonal' direction. As such, the conclusion of that direction is at the hip, which is the position for a the 'uppercut' (inverted punch).

Using an outward (horizontal) handsword would allow for the orbit you describe. This is pretty common; leaves the right ribs exposed.
    Ahh I do that more of a Shuto redirect after the shot to the Bicep rather than an outward handsword.. so the orbit becomes less out and more... how to explain.. it's a super tight orbit while never really exposing the right ribs elbow stays pretty tight aside from the handsword itself.

Bunny
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

KirkS (01-13-2020)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links