Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: June 2019 TOM - Sword and Hammer

  1. #41
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,357
    Thanks
    4,239
    Thanked 14,811 Times in 5,524 Posts

    Default Re: June 2019 TOM - Sword and Hammer

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny View Post
    So, I maintain, we can not control what happens to us.. we only control how we react to it.
    Actually, for the purposes for which we teach, we cannot control how we react either, at least not initially. We can only try to control what we do after the initial reaction which is not always within our physical control. When we are caught off guard or surprised, the body reacts through that same mechanism of fight or flight, however that is AFTER our Startle Reflex Mechanisms have been activated first. Something we have no control of.

    Dude you are really tired. Get some rest.

    my 3rd post page 2.

    The Psychology of Confrontation component that is the beginning process of designing any self-defense scenario for examination and study is supremely important. It lays the groundwork and direction for everything that follows. Techniques of this type are meant to trigger your "fight-or-flight" response, hyper arousal, or an acute stress response.

    On the face that would seem pretty straight forward and I know all of you are familiar with this body activity. This response is the first stage that regulates stress response. As a part of the autonomic nervous system, it is a control mechanism that acts primarily in an unconscious state and, among other things, impacts heart and respiratory rate along with pupillary response. This is the primary system mechanism in control of fight-or-flight response and is composed of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems.

    However, what most don't factor in is that this response doesn't have one setting. It is an immensely variable dictated by external factors, one's state of mind and their environment. If you have a gathering of friends and family at your home, and someone blindsides you and grabs you by your shoulder unexpectedly in the kitchen, your fight-or-flight mechanism will be muted because of your environment. The mechanism is in a constant state of adjusting your perceptions and therefore your "startle reflex" "fight-or-flight" response to external stimulus. Although we'd like to think we're always on guard, the truth is if you're out shopping (presumably coerced as I have been) in a mall, your response to the same will be not that much different. Your system has adjusted to a noisy crowded environment where there are people everywhere sometimes bumping into each other. However, if you take the same stimulus and you're outside in an almost empty parking lot after the mall closes at night, your reactions would be completely different. Moreover, even more so if you just came out of a "slasher" movie and you're standing there alone waiting for AAA because your car won't start. It is also true men and women react at different rates with women being socialized to being more sensitive to their environment and physical touching of any kind. Men tend to be more physical with friends in a masculine way. Men call each other names, make fun of each other, and are physical. Men hit and push each other even as friends. A buddy might walk up to you and give you a healthy shoves while saying, "Hey man, where you been I've been looking all over for you?"

    My point is a simple one for those of you who would examine and/or design scenarios for consideration and to teach skills. Deciding the Psychology of Confrontation Parameters of a technique scenario first, is probably the most important component of all because it will dictate from a reality perspective what is, and is not possible while working with the probable or most likely set of circumstances. This answers somewhat the "badge check" question, or should under most circumstances keep you from chopping your wife or a friend in the throat. Unless they're imprudent enough to sneak up on you in some quiet isolated place at night and grab your shoulder like a thug, in which case you will disabuse them of that activity in the future I'm sure. WARNING: It may cause you to have to sleep on the couch for a period time or lose your best friend, and/or may, on occasion require legal representation.

    So, let’s set the P.O.C. Parameters for this technique scenario examination. We will presume you are in a public place that is not congested, and you have no expectations that someone would lay hands on you unless it is a hostile act, and the level of physicality will add to your senses that it is indeed an act of aggression.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  2. #42
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,357
    Thanks
    4,239
    Thanked 14,811 Times in 5,524 Posts

    Default Re: June 2019 TOM - Sword and Hammer

    “To understand karate techniques and how they function, you must have knowledge of physics. You must study the body and learn how the senses — through the principles of mass, speed, body alignment, angles, momentum, gravitational marriage, torque, focus, stability, power and penetration — can make the body function intuitively. An in-depth study of these principles of physics will also reveal the sophistication contained within basic techniques.”

    “To the karate practitioner, it is the feel or smell of trouble; a sound, sign or gesture that suggests trouble; the sight of an incoming strike; or the opportunity to attack or counterattack."

    Ed Parker Sr.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

    KirkS (2 Weeks Ago),nelson (2 Weeks Ago)

  4. #43
    sumdumguy's Avatar
    sumdumguy is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kenpoguy.com
    Posts
    210
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked 202 Times in 107 Posts

    Default Re: June 2019 TOM - Sword and Hammer

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    “To understand karate techniques and how they function, you must have knowledge of physics. You must study the body and learn how the senses – through the principles of mass, speed, body alignment, angles, momentum, gravitational marriage, torque, focus, stability, power and penetration – can make the body function intuitively. An in-depth study of these principles of physics will also reveal the sophistication contained within basic techniques.”

    “To the karate practitioner, it is the feel or smell of trouble; a sound, sign or gesture that suggests trouble; the sight of an incoming strike; or the opportunity to attack or counterattack."

    Ed Parker Sr.
    Yep, and that's just one of the fun parts!
    "The problem is not whether or not you like bad kenpo, the problem is recognizing whether or not your kenpo is bad!"
    "Being a master by your own proclamation doesn't make you a master, it only makes you an arrogant"

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to sumdumguy For This Useful Post:

    Doc (2 Weeks Ago)

  6. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dundalk Md
    Posts
    1,713
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 943 Times in 586 Posts

    Default Re: June 2019 TOM - Sword and Hammer

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Actually, for the purposes for which we teach, we cannot control how we react either, at least not initially. We can only try to control what we do after the initial reaction which is not always within our physical control. When we are caught off guard or surprised, the body reacts through that same mechanism of fight or flight, however that is AFTER our Startle Reflex Mechanisms have been activated first. Something we have no control of.
    True.. there is always the startle reflex, it's going to happen either in a subdued state ie.. in the kitchen around friends, or in a heightened state.. turning the corner at a scare house with the multitude of jump scares. I disagree with the no control portion though. We can and do train to modify it... it's the core of military training... to modify that symp and parasymp nerv response.

    Conscious control? no.. but do we train for conscious control in our techniques? or do we train for a natural response tempered by observation and the heightened recognition of threat?

    Thoughts

    The bunbun
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

    "Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

    -JTHM

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrBunny For This Useful Post:

    KirkS (2 Weeks Ago)

  8. #45
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,357
    Thanks
    4,239
    Thanked 14,811 Times in 5,524 Posts

    Default Re: June 2019 TOM - Sword and Hammer

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny View Post
    True.. there is always the startle reflex, it's going to happen either in a subdued state ie.. in the kitchen around friends, or in a heightened state.. turning the corner at a scare house with the multitude of jump scares. I disagree with the no control portion though. We can and do train to modify it... it's the core of military training... to modify that symp and parasymp nerv response.

    Conscious control? no.. but do we train for conscious control in our techniques? or do we train for a natural response tempered by observation and the heightened recognition of threat?

    Thoughts

    The bunbun
    No, we can't train to nullify startle reflex, it is not humanly possible because it is part of the autonomic nervous system, anymore than you can stop your heart or even on a minor scale like "blink" reflex. However, you can shorten the time it takes to react after the startle reflex.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

    KirkS (2 Weeks Ago)

  10. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dundalk Md
    Posts
    1,713
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 943 Times in 586 Posts

    Default Re: June 2019 TOM - Sword and Hammer

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    No, we can't train to nullify startle reflex, it is not humanly possible because it is part of the autonomic nervous system, anymore than you can stop your heart or even on a minor scale like "blink" reflex. However, you can shorten the time it takes to react after the startle reflex.
    Never said Nullify... said Modify.

    Blinky bunny.
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

    "Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

    -JTHM

  11. #47
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,357
    Thanks
    4,239
    Thanked 14,811 Times in 5,524 Posts

    Default Re: June 2019 TOM - Sword and Hammer

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBunny View Post
    Never said Nullify... said Modify.

    Blinky bunny.
    Can't modify. The body adjusts naturally to its surroundings and mental circumstances and startle reflex will precede anything we might consciously want to do. Only post startle reflex can be trained.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  12. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dundalk Md
    Posts
    1,713
    Thanks
    178
    Thanked 943 Times in 586 Posts

    Default Re: June 2019 TOM - Sword and Hammer

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Can't modify. The body adjusts naturally to its surroundings and mental circumstances and startle reflex will precede anything we might consciously want to do. Only post startle reflex can be trained.
    I'd argue that the post startle reflex is part of the full sympathetic response within the body. A stage of the sympth/nonsympth response.
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

    "Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

    -JTHM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. June 2019 TOM - Charging Maces
    By KirkS in forum Kenpo 5.0
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2019, 08:40 AM
  2. June 2019 TOM - Armbar Escape
    By KirkS in forum IKCA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2019, 08:38 AM
  3. February 2019 TOM - Sword of Destruction
    By KirkS in forum Kenpo 5.0
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-22-2019, 07:48 PM
  4. January 2019 TOM Sword of Destruction
    By KirkS in forum Kenpo 5.0
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2019, 03:43 PM
  5. Technique comparison: Obscure Sword, Sword & Hammer, Obscure Wing
    By Brother John in forum EPAK Technical Studies
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 05:03 PM