Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: May 2019 TOM Striking Set

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,302
    Thanks
    5,308
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 629 Posts

    Default May 2019 TOM Striking Set

    Striking Set:

    Bow.

    Start from a horse stance facing 12 o'clock.


    Striking to the front:

    1. Execute a right thrust punch to face level. Execute a right vertical backknuckle to face level.

    2. Execute a left thrust punch to face level. Execute a left vertical backknuckle to face level.

    3. Execute a right thrust punch to face level. Execute a right invertedhammerfist to the groin level.

    4. Execute a left thrust punch to face level. Execute a left invertedhammerfist to the groin level.

    5. Execute a right thrust punch to face level. Execute a right backfist to thetemple.

    6. Execute a left thrust punch to face level. Execute a left backfist to thetemple.

    7. Execute a right thrust punch to face level. Execute a right inwardhammerfist to the ribs.

    8. Execute a left thrust punch to face level. Execute a left inward hammerfistto the ribs.


    Striking to the side:

    9. Execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to face level. Execute aright vertical back knuckle strike to face level.

    10. Execute a left vertical thrust punch to 9 o'clock to face level. Execute aleft vertical back knuckle strike to face level.

    11. Execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to face level. Execute aright inverted hammerfist to the groin.

    12. Execute a left vertical thrust punch to 9 o'clock to face level. Execute aleft inverted hammerfist to the groin.

    13. Execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to face level. Execute aright backfist to the temple.

    14. Execute a left vertical thrust punch to 9 o'clock to face level. Execute aleft backfist to the temple.

    15. Execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to face level. Execute aright inward hammerfist to the ribs.

    16. Execute a left vertical thrust punch to 9 o'clock to face level. Execute aleft inward hammerfist to the ribs.


    Double strikes to the front:

    17. Execute a right and a left thrust punch to 12 o'clock to face level.Simultaneously execute a right and a left back knuckle strike to face level.

    18. Execute a right and a left thrust punch to face level. Execute a right anda left inverted hammerfist to groin level.

    19. Execute a right and a left thrust punch to face level. Execute a right anda left backfist to the temple.

    20. Execute a right and a left thrust punch to face level. Execute a right anda left inward hammerfist to the ribs.


    Simultaneous strikes to the sides:

    21. Simultaneously execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to facelevel as you execute a left vertical punch to 9 o'clock to face level.Simultaneously execute a right back knuckle strike to face level as you executea left back knuckle strike to face level.

    22. Simultaneously execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to facelevel as you execute a left vertical punch to 9 o'clock to face level.Simultaneously execute a right inverted hammerfist to the groin as you executea left inverted hammerfist to the groin.

    23. Simultaneously execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to facelevel as you execute a left vertical punch to 9 o'clock to face level.Simultaneously execute a right backfist to the temple as you execute a leftbackfist to the temple.

    24. Simultaneously execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to facelevel as you execute a left vertical punch to 9 o'clock to face level.Simultaneously execute a right inward hammerfist to the ribs as you execute aleft inward hammerfist to the ribs.



    Double strikes to the front:

    25. Slide your left foot to your right into an attention stance with both ofyour knees slightly bent.

    26. Execute a right and a left thrust punch to face level.

    27. Execute a right and a left back knuckle to face level.

    28. Execute a right and a left inverted hammerfist to the groin.

    29. Execute a right and a left backfist to the temple.

    30. Execute a right and a left inward hammerfist to the ribs.

    Attention stance.
    Bow.



    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to KirkS For This Useful Post:

    Star Dragon (05-07-2019)

  3. #2
    Star Dragon's Avatar
    Star Dragon is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    461
    Thanks
    548
    Thanked 336 Times in 222 Posts

    Default Re: May 2019 TOM Striking Set

    Some of the techniques to the side feelt really awkward to me. Especially the backfists to the temple and the inward hammerfists to the ribs. Therefore, I do these at a slight angle (2:00-ish and 10:00-ish respectively), rather than straight to the side.

    In my book, Striking Set (as well as other sets) is useful for practising the subtleties of body mechanics - something woefully neglected in your usual Kenpo training.

    That being said, Mr. Parker himself was masterly applying and demonstrating them all the time, however, he was hardly ever expressly teaching them. This being in line with his philosophy of letting the student do their own thing and figuring out a lot of stuff for themselves - or not.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

    KirkS (05-07-2019)

  5. #3
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,386
    Thanks
    4,252
    Thanked 14,866 Times in 5,547 Posts

    Default Re: May 2019 TOM Striking Set

    Quote Originally Posted by KirkS View Post
    Striking Set:

    Bow.

    Start from a horse stance facing 12 o'clock.


    Striking to the front:

    1. Execute a right thrust punch to face level. Execute a right vertical backknuckle to face level.

    2. Execute a left thrust punch to face level. Execute a left vertical backknuckle to face level.

    3. Execute a right thrust punch to face level. Execute a right invertedhammerfist to the groin level.

    4. Execute a left thrust punch to face level. Execute a left invertedhammerfist to the groin level.

    5. Execute a right thrust punch to face level. Execute a right backfist to thetemple.

    6. Execute a left thrust punch to face level. Execute a left backfist to thetemple.

    7. Execute a right thrust punch to face level. Execute a right inwardhammerfist to the ribs.

    8. Execute a left thrust punch to face level. Execute a left inward hammerfistto the ribs.


    Striking to the side:

    9. Execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to face level. Execute aright vertical back knuckle strike to face level.

    10. Execute a left vertical thrust punch to 9 o'clock to face level. Execute aleft vertical back knuckle strike to face level.

    11. Execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to face level. Execute aright inverted hammerfist to the groin.

    12. Execute a left vertical thrust punch to 9 o'clock to face level. Execute aleft inverted hammerfist to the groin.

    13. Execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to face level. Execute aright backfist to the temple.

    14. Execute a left vertical thrust punch to 9 o'clock to face level. Execute aleft backfist to the temple.

    15. Execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to face level. Execute aright inward hammerfist to the ribs.

    16. Execute a left vertical thrust punch to 9 o'clock to face level. Execute aleft inward hammerfist to the ribs.


    Double strikes to the front:

    17. Execute a right and a left thrust punch to 12 o'clock to face level.Simultaneously execute a right and a left back knuckle strike to face level.

    18. Execute a right and a left thrust punch to face level. Execute a right anda left inverted hammerfist to groin level.

    19. Execute a right and a left thrust punch to face level. Execute a right anda left backfist to the temple.

    20. Execute a right and a left thrust punch to face level. Execute a right anda left inward hammerfist to the ribs.


    Simultaneous strikes to the sides:

    21. Simultaneously execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to facelevel as you execute a left vertical punch to 9 o'clock to face level.Simultaneously execute a right back knuckle strike to face level as you executea left back knuckle strike to face level.

    22. Simultaneously execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to facelevel as you execute a left vertical punch to 9 o'clock to face level.Simultaneously execute a right inverted hammerfist to the groin as you executea left inverted hammerfist to the groin.

    23. Simultaneously execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to facelevel as you execute a left vertical punch to 9 o'clock to face level.Simultaneously execute a right backfist to the temple as you execute a leftbackfist to the temple.

    24. Simultaneously execute a right vertical thrust punch to 3 o'clock to facelevel as you execute a left vertical punch to 9 o'clock to face level.Simultaneously execute a right inward hammerfist to the ribs as you execute aleft inward hammerfist to the ribs.



    Double strikes to the front:

    25. Slide your left foot to your right into an attention stance with both ofyour knees slightly bent.

    26. Execute a right and a left thrust punch to face level.

    27. Execute a right and a left back knuckle to face level.

    28. Execute a right and a left inverted hammerfist to the groin.

    29. Execute a right and a left backfist to the temple.

    30. Execute a right and a left inward hammerfist to the ribs.

    Attention stance.
    Bow.


    Some of the most dysfunctional piece of crap ever put on paper, with the worse body mechanics ever placed in any system I've ever seen. The good news; it wasn't written by Mr. Parker.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

    KirkS (05-07-2019),nelson (05-08-2019),sumdumguy (05-08-2019)

  7. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,302
    Thanks
    5,308
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 629 Posts

    Default Re: May 2019 TOM Striking Set

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Some of the most dysfunctional piece of crap ever put on paper, with the worse body mechanics ever placed in any system I've ever seen. The good news; it wasn't written by Mr. Parker.
    Who came up with it?
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington


  8. #5
    KenpoMD's Avatar
    KenpoMD is online now
    KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    328
    Thanks
    308
    Thanked 386 Times in 184 Posts

    Default Re: May 2019 TOM Striking Set

    Quote Originally Posted by KirkS View Post
    Who came up with it?
    I'm guessing Jim Mitchell. Anyone know for sure?
    Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
    -
    Ludwig van Beethoven

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KenpoMD For This Useful Post:

    KirkS (05-08-2019),sumdumguy (05-08-2019)

  10. #6
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,386
    Thanks
    4,252
    Thanked 14,866 Times in 5,547 Posts

    Default Re: May 2019 TOM Striking Set

    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoMD View Post
    I'm guessing Jim Mitchell. Anyone know for sure?
    Dam, you're good. I would have thought that piece of information would have been more obscure for most. Jim Mitchell created or finished a lot of projects including all of the extensions from halfway down the 24 purple (13) chart on and they were never updated or corrected because they were already on video, and Mr. Parker never got around to them.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

    KenpoMD (05-08-2019),KirkS (05-08-2019)

  12. #7
    Star Dragon's Avatar
    Star Dragon is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    461
    Thanks
    548
    Thanked 336 Times in 222 Posts

    Default Re: May 2019 TOM Striking Set

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Some of the most dysfunctional piece of crap ever put on paper, with the worse body mechanics ever placed in any system I've ever seen.
    It is awkward indeed, and rejecting it (at least for the most part) was my first reaction too. And I wouldn't blame anybody for doing just that.

    However, a discussion with a student of Ed Parker's plus some personal reflection and experimentation helped open my eyes to the fact that the Striking Set, in its very akwardness, can serve to highlight certain aspects of body mechanics that normally tend to be neglected.

    Remember Bruce Lee's statement: "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."

    The good news; it wasn't written by Mr. Parker.
    Well, whether personally written by him or not, my current view is that there is little in Mr. Parker's system that doesn't fulfill a purpose - if approached with some ingenuity!

    It remains true that unlocking Kenpo's full potential means solving a mystery. Broken into a jigsaw puzzle. Wrapped in a conundrum. And hidden in a Chinese box.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

    Doc (05-25-2019),KirkS (05-08-2019)

  14. #8
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,386
    Thanks
    4,252
    Thanked 14,866 Times in 5,547 Posts

    Default Re: May 2019 TOM Striking Set

    Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    It is awkward indeed, and rejecting it (at least for the most part) was my first reaction too. And I wouldn't blame anybody for doing just that.

    However, a discussion with a student of Ed Parker's plus some personal reflection and experimentation helped open my eyes to the fact that the Striking Set, in its very akwardness, can serve to highlight certain aspects of body mechanics that normally tend to be neglected.

    Remember Bruce Lee's statement: "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."



    Well, whether personally written by him or not, my current view is that there is little in Mr. Parker's system that doesn't fulfill a purpose - if approached with some ingenuity!

    It remains true that unlocking Kenpo's full potential means solving a mystery. Broken into a jigsaw puzzle. Wrapped in a conundrum. And hidden in a Chinese box.
    While everything you say is true, that striking set is mostly dysfunctional, bad body mechanics definitely not good for the shoulder joints because of missing information and poor execution design. The Old Man knew it and said so when he asked me what I thought and I did what I always did - told him the truth. Then he agreed. Classic example of trying to force symmetry where it doesn't belong, and dead hands.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

    KirkS (05-08-2019),sumdumguy (05-08-2019)

  16. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,731
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 667 Posts

    Default Re: May 2019 TOM Striking Set

    Odd thing about this ...
    There several video clips from different persons in the system ... putting the strikes from the strike set together in front of training classes.

    Always frustrated me ... watching a senior person striking with the right this way, the right that way, the right this other way, and then with the right again, and finally with a right.

    Putting together all the different strikes in the set with one hand .... leaving Master Ken to pick his noes with his left (w/ apologies to M. Ken).

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to michaeledward For This Useful Post:

    Doc (05-25-2019)

  18. #10
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,386
    Thanks
    4,252
    Thanked 14,866 Times in 5,547 Posts

    Default Re: May 2019 TOM Striking Set

    Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    Odd thing about this ...
    There several video clips from different persons in the system ... putting the strikes from the strike set together in front of training classes.

    Always frustrated me ... watching a senior person striking with the right this way, the right that way, the right this other way, and then with the right again, and finally with a right.

    Putting together all the different strikes in the set with one hand .... leaving Master Ken to pick his noes with his left (w/ apologies to M. Ken).
    Yes sir.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. May 2019 TOM Coordination Set 1
    By KirkS in forum Kenpo 5.0
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2019, 09:38 AM
  2. May 2019 TOM Triple Kick
    By KirkS in forum IKCA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2019, 09:36 AM
  3. January 2019 TOM Escape from Darkness
    By KirkS in forum EPAK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2019, 04:45 PM
  4. Happy New Year 2019!
    By KirkS in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2019, 12:57 PM