Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: February 2006 Technique Of The Month - Thundering Hammers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default February 2006 Technique Of The Month - Thundering Hammers

Thundering Hammers (Front- Right Step-Through Punch)
    1. An attacker from 12 o'clock comes at you with a right step-through punch.

2. Step your left foot ot 10:30 into a left neutral bow looking to 1:30 (at your attacker) as you execute a left inward block to your attacker's right arm.

3. Shuffle towards 12 o'clock utilizing back-up mass as you pivot into a left close kneel and execute a right horizontal bottom fist to your attacker's mid-section.

4. Shift into a right close kneel facing 4:30 as your right hand checks across your attacker's back and essentially slaps the back of their head and stopping at their right shoulder. Continue the flow of motion to maximize the marriage of gravity and execute a left inward overhead hammerfist to your attacker's kidneys.

5. Shift back into a left close kneel facing 10:30 as your left hand checks across your attacker's back as you utilize gravitational marriage and execute a right inward overhead hammerfist to your attacker's neck.

6. Step your left foot to 7:30 into a right neutral bow facing 1:30 as your left hand wraps forward to the left side of your attacker's face. Roll their face so it is facing you. As your hand finishes, loop it through and execute a quick right backfist to your attacker's right cheekbone.

7. Push drag to 1:30 as you execute an upward palm strike to your attacker's face.

8. Cross out towards 7:30.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Default Re: February 2006 Technique Of The Month - Thundering Hammers

What no extension blah
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Great technique...one of my favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    2. Step your left foot ot 10:30 into a left neutral bow looking to 1:30 (at your attacker) as you execute a left inward block to your attacker's right arm.
    One slight difference in the way I execute it here is to adapt the left vertical inward block into a ricochet block (after executing the block I use opposing force and round the corner iconverting the block nto a straight punch to the opponents temple)

. Shift into a right close kneel facing 4:30 as your right hand checks across your attacker's back and essentially slaps the back of their head and stopping at their right shoulder. Continue the flow of motion to maximize the marriage of gravity and execute a left inward overhead hammerfist to your attacker's kidneys.

5. Shift back into a left close kneel facing 10:30 as your left hand checks across your attacker's back as you utilize gravitational marriage and execute a right inward overhead hammerfist to your attacker's neck.
    I also execute both hammer fists to the base of the opponent's skull (ouch) ending with a forearm smash to their neck. I call that kind of abuse "blunt force trauma." lol.

It sounds like we execute the technique very similarly with the exception of a few choice targets. Like I said, I love this technique.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

At what point do you get the attacker to bend over so you can execute the hammerfist 1. in the kidney 2. back of the neck? If you are executing a left inward blocking punch wouldn't that stand the attacker up when hitting them in the temple?

Just curious to know

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    At what point do you get the attacker to bend over so you can execute the hammerfist 1. in the kidney 2. back of the neck? If you are executing a left inward blocking punch wouldn't that stand the attacker up when hitting them in the temple?

Just curious to know
    Good point
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks

See step 3 in Rob's original post. Sorry for the confusion, I just didn't think it was necessary to re-post that step as I was only pointing out slight differences in execution. I execute Step 3 pretty much the way Rob posted it.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

How many of you cock the left hand up by the ear (as opposed to keeping the opponent's right punching arm checked with your left arm) after the forearm smash?

I also cock the arm in this technique as I feel that not doing so makes you lose power and collapses your timing. I also think the check is a weak one if you prefer that method.

Jamie Seabrook

Thanks

I flow through the check essentially throwing the opponents arm back and away while circling through (circles man, I love circles) with the right hammerfist. That way as the right hammer fist drops the left hand is coming in clockwise at the apex of the circle building momentum before crashing down on the base of the opponent's skull.

Not to mention that by continueing the motion of the left check towards the outside you not only get rid of their right arm for the time being, but it tends to pull their head into the right hammer fist strike

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,192 Posts

Thundering Hammers (Front- Right Step-Through Punch)
    1. An attacker from 12 o'clock comes at you with a right step-through punch.

3. Shuffle towards 12 o'clock utilizing back-up mass as you pivot into a left close kneel and execute a right horizontal bottom fist to your attacker's mid-section.

4. Shift into a right close kneel facing 4:30 as your right hand checks across your attacker's back and essentially slaps the back of their head and stopping at their right shoulder. Continue the flow of motion to maximize the marriage of gravity and execute a left inward overhead hammerfist to your attacker's kidneys.

6. Step your left foot to 7:30 into a right neutral bow facing 1:30 as your left hand wraps forward to the left side of your attacker's face. Roll their face so it is facing you. As your hand finishes, loop it through and execute a quick right backfist to your attacker's right cheekbone.

7. Push drag to 1:30 as you execute an upward palm strike to your attacker's face.

8. Cross out towards 7:30.
    Alrighty, the Bok Fu version.

2. This first step is basically a 70/30 stance and we use a soft hand block.

3. This is a thumb strike to the solar plexus and we call the stance a "broken bow". Left arm cocks above the head.

4. Rotate right into a broken bow, executing a hammerfist to the base of the skull.

5. Rotate left into a broken bow, executing a hammerfist to the kidney, which should pop the head up.

6. C-step 90 degrees with the left foot (body now perpendicular to the attacker) ending in a cat stance. As you c-step, chamber the right hand in front of the left shoulder and deliver a snapping back knuckle to the right temple.

7. Step forward with the right foot into a fighting stance (neutral bow). As you do this, the right hand circles clockwise and through the set position ending with a falcons talon in the attacker's eyes as you hit your stance.

8. Pull back into a cat stance. As you do this, the left hand delivers a palm strike to the head and the right hand pulls back to set.

I love this forum.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    How many of you cock the left hand up by the ear (as opposed to keeping the opponent's right punching arm checked with your left arm) after the forearm smash?

I also cock the arm in this technique as I feel that not doing so makes you lose power and collapses your timing. I also think the check is a weak one if you prefer that method.

Jamie Seabrook
    I do not think any power is lost becuase I cock my right hand for the forearm smash, from there you should have no problem doing you back knuckle while checking.

Thanks

My left hand gets cocked high before I hammerfist the opponent's left kidney. Mr. Planas has said many times over to reach for the ceiling.

Thanks

My left hand gets cocked high before I hammerfist the opponent's left kidney. Mr. Planas has said many times over to reach for the ceiling.
    Yes, that was exactly my point....right on!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Yes, that was exactly my point....right on!
    I had the experience of him doing this technique on me as my training partner was having difficulties with it . For some reason I thought I was going to travel through the floor with the first hammerfist & yes it was in my kidney. However he added an extra move or 2 that hurt damn near as bad. Oh well I guess that's how you learn and of course I learned a very valueable lesson that day.

Thanks

Oh well I guess that's how you learn and of course I learned a very valueable lesson that day.
    ...yeah, don't volunteer to be uke when Mr. Planas comes to town!

Thanks

To get the person to bend over with the forearm strike, I found it works well to go lower to the bladder, rather than the mid-section.

Some people have pretty well-developed guts, but not too many people have muscled bladders.

You have to get into a lower wide-kneel, but they are guaranteed to bend over that way.

I found that when I do that move, people often don't bend over otherwise.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    To get the person to bend over with the forearm strike, I found it works well to go lower to the bladder, rather than the mid-section.

Some people have pretty well-developed guts, but not too many people have muscled bladders.

You have to get into a lower wide-kneel, but they are guaranteed to bend over that way.

I found that when I do that move, people often don't bend over otherwise.

--Amy
    If you just think about it logically, the lower you hit a person the farther they will bend over unless they are on drugs. The higher you hit somebody the more you will make them bend the other way.

Thanks

Have you tried changing it into a ridgehand to the groin?? That usually does the trick for the stubborn ones that don't want to bend over.

Thanks

That would be dance of death.

The entry move can be changed obviously to get the desired response. Either Dance of Death, Sleeper, Flashing Wings, Flashing Mace, then things depend upon the depth of the punch coming in whether to step back or forward or move to another technique outside the crane family.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Have you tried changing it into a ridgehand to the groin?? That usually does the trick for the stubborn ones that don't want to bend over.
    You are right but there is a reason why Dance of Death, Sleeper, and Thundering Hammers are three seperate techniques (although family grouped).

Thanks

True.....true....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links