Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February 2006 Technique Of The Month - Leaping Crane

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default February 2006 Technique Of The Month - Leaping Crane

Leaping Crane (Front- Right Step-Through Punch)
    1. An attacker from 12 o'clock comes at you with a right step-through punch.

2. Hop towards 10:30 into a transitory one-leg stance as you simultaneously execute a left inward parry to your attacker's right arm and a right inward raking middle knuckle strike to your attacker's right ribs.

3. Immediately execute a right knife-edge kick to attacker's right knee.

4. Land in a right neutral bow facing 1:30 utilize marriage of gravity as you execute a right back fist to your attacker's spine.

5. Take advantage of their reaction. Grab your attacker's right shoulder with your left shoulder and hold them in place as you execute a right inward elbow to your attacker's head.

6. Cross out towards 7:30.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: February 2006 Technique Of The Month - Leaping Crane

We execute it exactly like that but we include a nasty extension in the adult syllabus.

After the elbow sandwich to the opponent's head we contour over taking control of the chin with the right hand, using opposing force push forward with the left hand while pulling with the right (whiplash) turning opponent's head upward.

Using reverse motion then execute a right sword hand to the bridge of opponent's nose

Execute a chicken kick (left scoop to groin, right snap to the small of back) and cover out.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

we do that extension too.

back to the base tech, using Rob's description, where is the stability, power, and directional harmony in step #2 ?

pete

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    We execute it exactly like that but we include a nasty extension in the adult syllabus.

After the elbow sandwich to the opponent's head we contour over taking control of the chin with the right hand, using opposing force push forward with the left hand while pulling with the right (whiplash) turning opponent's head upward.

Using reverse motion then execute a right sword hand to the bridge of opponent's nose

Execute a chicken kick (left scoop to groin, right snap to the small of back) and cover out.
    Our extension is pretty much the same but after we do the first ckicken kick we than step to around 3 o'clock with our left foot and turn and do a left back kick to the side of the head and han switch feet and to a back kick to the ribs with our right foot. THe opponent is meant to be on all fours after the first chicken kick.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    we do that extension too.

back to the base tech, using Rob's description, where is the stability, power, and directional harmony in step #2 ?

pete
    This a transitionary one leg stance, it is not meant to held for an extended period of time.

How would you do this section of the technique?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    This a transitionary one leg stance, it is not meant to held for an extended period of time.

I think of it not as a one legged stance but just an exadurated step. If you emphisize the one legged stance you will lose the speed. And your opponent has time to do something to you again.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

It's definately a transition. I see it as a method to gain the most ideal angle of entry for the follow up side kick. IMHO. =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Leaping Crane
    NAME: This technique derives its name from two sources of your action. When jumping out of the Line of Attack, both of your feet are off the ground at the same time. This, by definition, is leaping. Secondly you land, momentarily, in a one-leg stance, which resembles the notable pose of that fabulous bird, the crane.
    THEME: In this technique environment allows you to freely move to the outside of your opponent's right punch. This favorably allows you MARGIN FOR ERROR when you literally leap out of the Line of Attack, and redirect your opponent's punch. Your transitory stance positions your right leg at the proper Angle of Delivery to quickly and powerfully attack your opponent's foundation. This quick one-two action of moving to the outside of your opponent's attack and striking the outside of his body, allows you to confidently and safely counter him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler

That sounds like the extension that everyone uses. Do you guys teach some or all of the extensions?

Thanks

Here are a few points I emphasize with my students:

(1) The leap helps create some of the power in the rake.

(2) The middle knuckle strike to the ribs should flow from point of origin.

(3) The side kick to the opponent’s leg control’s the opponent’s width while working from a zone of obscurity.

(4) As you do the elbow sandwich, your knee should check the opponent’s tailbone to control the person’s height.

On a side note, Huk Planas once told me at a seminar that it is better to strike the inside of the opponent's right bicep since the middle knuckle rake to the ribs lacks depth of penetration and back-up mass. I like that method as well, but I still prefer the rake to the ribs.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I like to think of this step as a recoil action, similar to the idea of opposing forces but i would re-term it this way as Coinciding forces. In a step drag, the step is the action and the drag is the recoil, In Leaping Crane once your left foot is committed to the step the coiling of your right foot into the one legged stance aids your right middle knuckle rake. This sets you up perfectly Knife edge kick

"Say hello to Susan"
    -SGM Ed Parker

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Larry Tatum addressed this in a recent seminar. rather than leaping off with both feet in the air while simutaneously parrying and raking... delay the rake and he movement of the right leg.

first: establish a base by getting off line with your left as you parry.
    then: bring the right side up together, raking the ribs as you bring the right foot up into the crane stance, preparing for the knife edge kick to take out his knee.

makes sense to me. improves stability, power, and directional harmony.

pete

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Casey_Sutherland
    I like to think of this step as a recoil action, similar to the idea of opposing forces but i would re-term it this way as Coinciding forces. In a step drag, the step is the action and the drag is the recoil, In Leaping Crane once your left foot is committed to the step the coiling of your right foot into the one legged stance aids your right middle knuckle rake. This sets you up perfectly Knife edge kick
    YES.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Here is the one that I do. I wrote this for myself after attending one of Mr. Planas' seminars. If wording looks off it is because it gets ME to where I need to go as it was written for only me.

5. Circle your left hand clockwise around the attacker’s head (left to right) to grab the chin with a shape of the crane movement. (the chin should be cupped inside your left palm). While simultaneously circling your right hand counter clockwise (from the sandwich) to where your right hand is cocked high above your head.
    6. As the right hand drops down across the back to loop up, immediately deliver a left thrusting knee strike to the back of the attacker’s head. (You should be in a crane stance).
    7. Drop the left foot back to it’s point of origin while you pull the attacker backwards (to off balance) execute a right downward forearm strike across the throat or hammerfist strike the right collar bone. As the attacker hits the ground face up deliver a front snap kick to the face.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Why all the shoulder grabbing before the elbow sandwich. The BK either brings his head to you or it doesn't.
    Sean

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger
    Why all the shoulder grabbing before the elbow sandwich. The BK either brings his head to you or it doesn't.
    Sean
    Very true. I just let it come back.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

in this one, a nother reason for the one legged stance is to block off a groin shot to you from your attackers right leg...

and in our extention after the chicken kick we step to between 7 and 8 with our right leg and execute a left stomp to attackers right ankle (that is on the ground..

from the stop the right foot moves alittle further to 7:30..execute a left rear stiff leg kick to attackers face to lift him up.

placing left leg down twards your attacker (placing around 11 oclock) and throw a right roundhouse to the chest of the attacker after you have picked him up..

cover out to 6 oclock.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

As a non-kenpoist, all I have to offer is that this technique was featured in the movie "Street Knight". Jeff ends the tech in a rear naked choke and the vilian escapes the hold. Shoulda finished it
    James D. "Vaudeville" Maxwell
    Missoula, Montana

"Flow without direction is spary"
    C. Crews

The IKKO WILL take over the world, the Golden One will have his reckoning. Prepare mere mortals, a wonderful begining awaits you all!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Leaping Crane (Front- Right Step-Through Punch)
    1. An attacker from 12 o'clock comes at you with a right step-through punch.
    2. Hop towards 10:30 into a transitory one-leg stance as you simultaneously execute a left inward parry to your attacker's right arm and a right inward raking middle knuckle strike to your attacker's right ribs.
    3. Immediately execute a right knife-edge kick to attacker's right knee.
    4. Land in a right neutral bow facing 1:30 utilize marriage of gravity as you execute a right back fist to your attacker's spine.
    5. Take advantage of their reaction. Grab your attacker's right shoulder with your left shoulder and hold them in place as you execute a right inward elbow to your attacker's head.
    6. Cross out towards 7:30.
    Couple of thoughts ...

As someone mentioned ... in (2) isn't it a middle-knuckle to the attackers right arm (bicep, elbow, just below the elbow)... If I could reach his ribs, couldn't his punch reach my face? (although, the rib shot does show up in Gathering Clouds, right?)

In (4), wouldn't the kidney be a better target? I assume the natural reaction to the kidney strike is for the attacker to arch his back, exposing his head.

In (5) the shoulder grab is to prevent the attacker from turning toward me as I move in close for the elbow. I would be able to feel him turn and, hopefully, prevent him from turning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward
    Couple of thoughts ...

As someone mentioned ... in (2) isn't it a middle-knuckle to the attackers right arm (bicep, elbow, just below the elbow)... If I could reach his ribs, couldn't his punch reach my face? (although, the rib shot does show up in Gathering Clouds, right?)

In (4), wouldn't the kidney be a better target? I assume the natural reaction to the kidney strike is for the attacker to arch his back, exposing his head.

In (5) the shoulder grab is to prevent the attacker from turning toward me as I move in close for the elbow. I would be able to feel him turn and, hopefully, prevent him from turning.
    Hi.

You are totally right about the middle-knuckle if you were facing each other. Since you are moving offline, you are now closer to your opponent and their fist has passed you by.

I go for the kidney. I thought that's what it said. I'll have to re-read that. A grab sounds like a good idea. I generally do a left-hand check to the shoulder, but I'm a big fan of grabbing hold of my opponent whenever appropriate.

Circle of doom is another good one for grabbing. (Or is it detour from doom? I get the names confused in my head.)

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links