Thread: Kenpo 5.0 for sport? Sorry but, no.

Thanks

Default Kenpo 5.0 for sport? Sorry but, no.

Given the many dissenting but stong arguments regarding the 5.0 system, there seems to be one that just didn't settle. That is, that there is a "mixing of methodologies" employed in the system to accomodate competitive applications of Kenpo. This is so very wrong.

The following was found on this very forum and gives a succinct explaination of the differences Mr. Sherman offered between ground fighting for competition and ground fighting for self-defense as purposed in the 5.0 curriculum.

Editorial:"Kenpo Evolves"

In which the following was printed,
    Mr. Sherman also gained experience as a referee which he claimed gave him the most insight into the transition to 5.0, "Refereeing taught me the boundries of what you can do and what rules are there to protect the fighter. I was interested in that because breaking the rules will give you success on the street. Breaking those rules takes you back to the heart of kenpo, which is about living, not about winning."
    I find that this provides a sound answer to the notion (misnomer) that the 5.0 System has evolved for the purposes of sporting events.

I hope that this provides some insight as to the "intent" of the ground techniques and even the changes made in some of the stand-up techniques in the 5.0 system.

In having trained in "arts" that are for sport, I've learned the difference in training for competition and self-defense. What we do at the JSK studios is not sport.

All thoughts and comments are welcome.

Have a very Kenpo day,
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toejoe2k For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (03-28-2011),jdinca (03-28-2011),mcdanieljade (12-06-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo 5.0 for sport? Sorry but, no.

Amen.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mcdanieljade For This Useful Post:

toejoe2k (12-09-2010)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I train under Mr. Speakman at his World Training Center here in Las Vegas.He is very clear that Kenpo 5.0 is designed for (including the ground techniques)street self defense, not the ring.Toejoe2K are you coming to the camp this year?This will be my second one.I'm really looking forward to it!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toejoe2k View Post
    Given the many dissenting but stong arguments regarding the 5.0 system, there seems to be one that just didn't settle. That is, that there is a "mixing of methodologies" employed in the system to accomodate competitive applications of Kenpo. This is so very wrong.

The following was found on this very forum and gives a succinct explaination of the differences Mr. Sherman offered between ground fighting for competition and ground fighting for self-defense as purposed in the 5.0 curriculum.

Editorial:"Kenpo Evolves"

In which the following was printed,

I find that this provides a sound answer to the notion (misnomer) that the 5.0 System has evolved for the purposes of sporting events.

I hope that this provides some insight as to the "intent" of the ground techniques and even the changes made in some of the stand-up techniques in the 5.0 system.

In having trained in "arts" that are for sport, I've learned the difference in training for competition and self-defense. What we do at the JSK studios is not sport.

All thoughts and comments are welcome.

Have a very Kenpo day,
    what actually happened with Trevor Sherman?
    I heard and, as far as I understand, broke ways with Jeff Speakman for some reason and is no longer involved with the organization?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 966 Posts

I'm intrigued by what Mr. Speakman is doing with his 5.0 system, and I hope to see and play with it in person some day. I appreciate the evident power in many of their online clips, and there is better energy than you find in many other Kenpo demonstrations.
    Joel Ellis
    LaGrange, GA

"This whole thing is about balance and timing." -- Damon Excell

If you do not consciously form good habits, you will unconsciously form bad ones.

If it is important, do it every day. If it is not important, don’t do it at all. (Dan Gable’s coaching philosophy)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J Ellis For This Useful Post:

toejoe2k (03-28-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKBoxer View Post
    what actually happened with Trevor Sherman?
    I heard and, as far as I understand, broke ways with Jeff Speakman for some reason and is no longer involved with the organization?
    One of the greatest aspects of the organization is that I have yet to hear of anyone speak ill (or speak at all) of members to have left the organization. I have even asked and was told that "we don't need to worry about them...worry about your training". So, I think that only Mr. Sherman would be able to answer to any inquiries about his seperation.
    ~Bill Richardson

10. The Following User Says Thank You to toejoe2k For This Useful Post:

LuckyKBoxer (03-28-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J Ellis View Post
    I'm intrigued by what Mr. Speakman is doing with his 5.0 system, and I hope to see and play with it in person some day. I appreciate the evident power in many of their online clips, and there is better energy than you find in many other Kenpo demonstrations.
    Thank you for your kind words. We hear often how we practice "power-based" kenpo. While speed is important (being a component of power), it is not our destination.
    What is really cool is the kind of fellowship that we enjoy with each other on an international level. It is how I believe it should be.
    ~Bill Richardson

12. The Following User Says Thank You to toejoe2k For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (03-28-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VegasM4 View Post
    I train under Mr. Speakman at his World Training Center here in Las Vegas.He is very clear that Kenpo 5.0 is designed for (including the ground techniques)street self defense, not the ring.Toejoe2K are you coming to the camp this year?This will be my second one.I'm really looking forward to it!
    I have every intention to be there. The rest is the Good Lord's willingness to allow me that trip
    If I'm there, I'll sure try to look you up. I should be testing for 3rd brown by then...I hope.
    ~Bill Richardson

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links