Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About Jeff Speakman (all welcome)

Thanks

Default About Jeff Speakman (all welcome)

In another forum, the question of Mr. Speakman's legitimacy was brought into the thread. Though it was likely intended as a slap in the face, it certainly is worth finding out what his training history is.

The bio on the www.jeffspeakman.com website isn't real thorough about all of his training and it can be considered subjective, there is some there. I do not, personally have much information outside of what has been provided to me by Mr. Speakman (very brief) and Doc. I will share what I have, though.

So, for those who want to play, the rules are these (if I may be allowed to impose them):
    1. Anyone with verifiable evidence regarding any of Mr. Speakman's training and teaching history is welcome to post here. If it is not at least corroborated by at least one other very respectable source, then it will just be considered conjecture until such a time when it can be proven.
    2. All evidence must be provided for in the form of a link to a legitimate site containing legitimate information...not conjecture and oppinion. In otherwords, you cannot post a link to another kenpo or martial arts forum as a means of providing evidence.
    3. When you post, you may certainly include your opinion(s). However, please keep opinion and conjecture seperate from the facts so that they cannot be confused...facts is facts and opinions is something else (bad grammar is intentional).
    4. Anyone willing to compete with me on "getting it from the horse's mouth" is most welcome. I don't have a direct line to Mr. Speakman but, I will try to get an account from him so that we can compare notes.
    Remember, this is for edification and posterity...not to get into the "my instructor can kick your instructor in the beans" argument.

Good luck and thanks for playing.

~Peace
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

Thanks
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,069 Posts

Default Re: About Jeff Speakman (all welcome)

I talked to Lou Angel and he told me that he sent Mr Speakman to meet and train with Ed Parker. So I can give that first-hand knowledge that Lou Angel does in fact admit to training Jeff Speakman

I've seen some tapes of Mr. Speakman doing seminars and I thought he did a great job of teaching the material, and engaging and entertaining the audience too.

I wish more of his movies were as good as the Perfect Weapon because mostly they were not. He may not be the most popular guy in the "AK family" but he certainly makes a good ambassador to the rest of the world.
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (11-07-2010),Kenposoldier01 (07-28-2013),toejoe2k (02-12-2008)

Thanks

I cannot vouch for the legitimacy of the following information but, it comes from another Kenpo forum site but, not from thread postings. Rather, it comes from the Who's Who section (many of you will guess which site...kenponet) of a site that I don't tend to frequent often. A search lead to this information, none the less. I'm not providing a link because it's all in I-frames and I hate trying to link to I-frames.

What makes this data interesting is that it contradicts (or at least diverges from) some of the information that I've been given before, I'll post all for comparison:

While in school, in 1978, Mr. Speakman began to study Goju-Ryu Karate under 10th Degree master, Lou Angel in Joplin, MO. Upon his graduation from Missouri State College, and subsequent move to West Los Angeles, Mr. Speakman was advised to seek out Senior Grandmaster Edmund K. Parker. He began to study with Mr. Parker in 1983 and was actually awarded his 1st Degree Black Belt from Mr. Parker in 1984. He worked intensely with Mr. Parker, essentially becoming a protege to represent Kenpo in the films.

I'll post another account shortly.

~Peace
    ~Bill Richardson

Thanks

Here are some excerpts from correspondance from Doc Chapel (reprinted with permission):

Jeff was a student and received his black belt in Kenpo from Larry Tatum. His interaction with Ed Parker began with the opportunity to make a movie an publicize kenpo. Parker worked with him for the movie to improve the presentation. Jeff only knew Parker for about 5/6 years, and the bulk was while he was a student of Larry. Jeff was also a student of mine for about 6 months after Parker passed.
    I would guess (by reading between the lines) that Mr. Speakman received his Kenpo black belt while training under Mr. Tatum at Mr. Parker's school...I don't know. Stay tuned.
    ~Bill Richardson

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Forgive me for asking the obvious, I'm only asking because I do not know and would like to know... but does anyone know if there is a reason why Mr. Speakman isn't on KenpoTalk? We have some great authorities here on the site, and with the addition of the new 5.0 hosted forum, it would be great if Mr. Speakman was here to offer his own account of his training history.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

Kenposoldier01 (07-28-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domino3700 View Post
    Forgive me for asking the obvious, I'm only asking because I do not know and would like to know... but does anyone know if there is a reason why Mr. Speakman isn't on KenpoTalk? We have some great authorities here on the site, and with the addition of the new 5.0 hosted forum, it would be great if Mr. Speakman was here to offer his own account of his training history.
    If I remember right, he said he doesn't have time and if someone's interested in what he has to say, to write, call or visit and he'll show you in person.

I think he may also not be terribly computer savvy, but that's more my impression than anything I remember being said directly.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (11-07-2010),HKphooey (11-06-2010),RDCParker (02-13-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I think he'd eventually come under fire, and at the end of the day it'd be a waste of his time, so can't say I'd blame him for not bothering either. I do know that he encourages his students "not to defend him online", because it ends up being a waste of their time too. There are a lot of seniors that elect not to come onto the forums as well, for a variety of reasons I'm sure. Just my two cents.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bujuts For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (11-07-2010),HKphooey (11-06-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,753 Times in 1,284 Posts

He started a forum some years back and it was a disaster. It became filled with profanities and fake IDs. While most of the flak was directed at Clyde and Mr. Lear, I can see why Mr. Speakman chose to bag off the whole idea.
    Sean

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Hmmm. I'm sure that would never happen on THIS particular forum, but yet and still, I can see why forums would probably leave a sour taste in his mouth. Too bad for us.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,256 Times in 798 Posts

I personally would love to have Mr. Speakman on this site. His insight into what he is doing would benefit us all.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

Kenposoldier01 (07-28-2013)

Thanks

The notion that I got from my instructor (when I asked) was that they find the politics counter-productive.

Should this forum on this board prove to be unsuccessful, then I'll start a seperate board specifically for AKKS as I see that these are a great venue for developing comradere (sp?).

Perhaps then, he'll get involved and put in his two cents now and again...but, being burned once does tend to cause people to shy away (if that is what happened).

None the less, I'll put in an e-mail message to him this weekend and see what I get back. Posterity's call is for such information about all of the Kenpo seniors, innovators and up & commers to give details about thier history...thinks I.

~Peace
    ~Bill Richardson

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

to me he knew his stuff the first couple times i met him aroung 94-95 and he was more than willing to answer questions... i have heard people say he was arrogent i certinly didnt get that vibe the few times i met him..

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

This is just my two cents, but I read somewhere that Mr. Speakman was in fact a student of Mr. Tatum's, but once he trained with Mr. Parker he retested under him, which could explain the post above that mentioned Mr. Speakman receiving his black belt under Mr. Parker after training with him for a year.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 663 Posts

He is busy training on the mat!
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,913 Times in 2,206 Posts

This all very interesting, but I've never questioned or doubted (or very much cared about) his legitimacy. He obviously knows what he's doing and can K some A, so.....
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (11-06-2010),Lenny (11-06-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 552 Posts

Just wondering - wouldn't it be the most easy method to ... um... well.. ask him?
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Lenny For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (11-06-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Holy thread resurrection, batman! Who cares where Mr. Speakman got his black belt(s) from. He can move and has some of the more impressive looking students in the kenpo world.
    Jeff Magoni

"When pure knuckles meet pure flesh...that's pure karate" - SGM Parker

"Survival is about dominating those who threaten you. So you can't think like you're going to fight them. You have to immediately dominate or destroy them to truly survive" - Larry Wick

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darkside For This Useful Post:

jadewolf3 (10-31-2012),toejoe2k (11-10-2010),Z-Rex (11-06-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,069 Posts

you know those sticks he uses to beat up that couch in Pefrect Weapon? I've held them, Lou Angel has them...
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

27. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

Kenposoldier01 (04-26-2014)

Mikael151 is offline We're Not Worthy!
    Thanks

I have been to Mr. Speakman's school here in Las Vegas. There is a picture on the wall of Larry Tatum kicking him into black. He was very nice and very intelligent the two times I have met him. He's also probably the ONLY guy who tested for his 8th.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikael151 For This Useful Post:

Darkside (11-07-2010),MarkC (11-07-2010),Michael Bobrow (07-28-2013)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Great facility isn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links