Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building Bridges

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Building Bridges

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    What competitions were you watching? This past Olympics all the points were off the front foot, they wera shin and instep pads, forearm pads, special gloves, headgear and the chest protectors can take a hit from a club and not phase you.
    You'd be surprised at how painful WTF TKD is even with the gear. It makes it safer, not painless. Not by a LONG shot.
    James D. "Vaudeville" Maxwell
    Missoula, Montana

"Flow without direction is spary"
    C. Crews

The IKKO WILL take over the world, the Golden One will have his reckoning. Prepare mere mortals, a wonderful begining awaits you all!

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

What competitions were you watching? This past Olympics all the points were off the front foot, they wera shin and instep pads, forearm pads, special gloves, headgear and the chest protectors can take a hit from a club and not phase you.
    US Olympian vs UK Olympian.

Kickin' it old school with the pride of Boston

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Vancouver is hosting the Winter Olympics
    Think Kenpo on Ice.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,820 Times in 5,527 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toejoe2k View Post
    Two thoughts come to mind as I consider this more intently:
    First, this being ke(M)po rather than the ken(n)po, what might the rules be and what would the format be? I don't know. Curious question.

Second, at first blush Ithink this may be Mr. Speakman's attempts to continue Mr. Parker's efforts to spread American Kenpo. There are some very successful schools but, there are hopes to develop more. By becoming affiliated with the I.K.F., Mr. Speakman is moving the art forward. Some may feel this is to the detriment of the art but many don't have that same notion and look forward to Kenpo becoming more commonplace. I'm thinking the style of sparring common to 5.0 is becoming more acceptable and contemporary. Then, that's just my little ol' opinion.
    Well I would have to say that for those concerned that kenpo might get watered down, you're too late. It already is virtually Tae Bo with a tad more structure.

As far as the Olympics, while I feel that for many this would be a step up, not down, the end product is always influenced by the rules of the contest.

TKD looks like TKD in a contest because the rules insure the TKD physical Identity is prevalent and necessary to win. Judo looks like Judo because they use Judo Identity Rules. The same goes for Olympic Boxing, Wrestling, etc. How it could be implemented so that Kenpo can express its physical identity separate from other kick punch grappling arts, I don't know. On the surface it appears they would all end up looking the same like most point contests today, absent "Identity Focused Rules."

In the end however, the concept of the sparring methods promoted by Jeff is a really good one, and would or should be closer to consideration than anything else that comes to mind at the moment. But on the down side, how that would help to establish a "Kenpo" identity separate from other MMA, kick, punch type Martial Identity contests, I don't know, but definitely worthy of consideration should the process open.

I applaud jeff for his efforts, regardless of the results.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    US Olympian vs UK Olympian.

Kickin' it old school with the pride of Boston

The funny thing is the kick to the groin was illegal, and they had to stop the contest to give him time to recover. The identity of the sport is always more important than anything else as will be protected at all costs by the rules.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Carol (11-28-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The identity of the sport is always more important than anything else as will be protected at all costs by the rules.
    Doc,

Sir you have seen many changes over the years, both before and after Mr. Parker's passing. In your above mentioned statement do you feel that the same concept should be applied to a martial discipline such as Kenpo?

On another note, what do you feel is the single most important aspect to the arts that Mr. Parker shared with you, and if you could share only one thing, or one statement about kenpo with the world what would it be.

My Deepest Respect Sir
    Last edited by MARSHALLS KENPO; 11-28-2009 at 10:59 AM.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Doc,

Sir you have seen many changes over the years, both before and after Mr. Parker's passing. In your above mentioned statement do you feel that the same concept should be applied to a martial disiplin such as Kenpo?

On another note, what do you feel is the single most important aspect to the arts that Mr. Parker shared with you, and if you could share only one thing, or one statement about kenpo with the world what would it be.

My Deepest Respect Sir
    There as always been a division in the arts between the scholars and the warriors. Warriors want to compete against each other, and show their "warrior spirit." Scholars have always said, "The only true contest is unrestricted combat." and recognized that sport contests boost the spirit at the sacrifice of combat skills.

Original arts were practiced for many reasons other than combat, and thus contained spiritual, health, and archival informative components. The focus on the sport strips away everything that does not conform to the rules of the contests that could lead to victory.

Modern day Kenpo in the Parker Lineage is not a "martial discipline." It is supposed to be a contemporary personal empty hand self-defense vehicle, for the common person for everyday life's potentially perilous circumstances. It is supposed to contain all of the archival information contained in the Traditional Chinese Arts, presented from a modern day perspective, and cannot be reconciled in a way that would be consistent with the rules and constraints of modern day "martial sports" contests.

Modern Practitioners tend to blur the lines between tough contests, and street combat, often confusing the two or giving them the same label. Mr. Parker taught me How to think. To examine a problem and extrapolate reasonable solutions, based on the realities of modern, contemporary, empty-hand street self-defense, over unrealistic contests or binding cultural traditions.

"Do not marry yourself to the traditions of the past, nor modern definitions of fighting. Accept that they are flawed and only the purity of reality will set you free, and accept pride and ego are the anesthesia of ignorance." -Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Carol (11-28-2009),MARSHALLS KENPO (11-28-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Tae Kwon Do exploded because of the Olympics. If you were around in 1984-85 you saw a mass influx of Tae Kwon Do Masters coming in from Korea.
    MAN... you aint kiddin! That, combined with the magical promotion jets that brought them here (((ones that mysteriously accepted a 1st or 2nd Dan in Korea and deposited a 7th or 8th Dan in America))) added up to a HUGE wattering down and lowering the bar for TKD in America!!!! I'm not a huge fan of TKD, but having seen firsthand the difference between the ones that are "Olympic", and then those that are of the late 80's TKD bloom compared to the more traditional pre-1980 TKD.... there is a HUGE difference!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The funny thing is the kick to the groin was illegal, and they had to stop the contest to give him time to recover. The identity of the sport is always more important than anything else as will be protected at all costs by the rules.
    I was wondering about that. I don't know the rules myself having never trained in any form of TKD, but I've seen several folks in hogu land groin kicks. By contrast, the Brady brothers did their competing before the hogu was introduced, and it seemed very rare for them to land such a kick in competition -- especially a prominent one. (Not saying it didn't happen though...)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

kenpo or kempo as an olympic sport has absolutely no chance. There is definitely a chance for martial arts to make a bigger splash and become an olympic sport given the rising popularity of grappling and MMA.

What does has a chance is some form of MMA that will most likely resemble pankration. A Kenpo stylist could use our philosphies and do very well in it, note Machida in the UFC with his Karate background and abilities.

personally I would like to see the following..

GR Wrestling
    Submission Grappling
    Judo
    Jiu Jitsu with Gi.
    Boxing
    MMA(Pankration style rules)

this would give you a great taste of the following..
    stand up range, in boxing to emphasize footwork and upper body movement

clinch range, to emphasize the throws and takedowns

grappling range, to emphasize the ground fighting.

a combination of combat done with and without gi's to give a combination of ideas on using handles(clothing) and not using handles(no gi type)

A Kenpoist would is in excellent physical condition, and has a firm understanding and ability to work our concepts and principles would have a great chance to excell in the sport.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyKBoxer For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (11-28-2009)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I think Kenpo in the Olympics would be.... Unique.

If it was to become an Olympic sport, and I was in charge of the rules/regulations, these would be some:

Open palm sparring gloves.
    Striking to the groin permitted (bring a good cup people)
    Applying pressure to certain tender spots on the body permitted (i.e. sticking your thumb under the jaw, the ribs, carotid artery, the sciatic nerve, etc.)
    No headbutting.
    No fish-hooking.
    No eye-gouges (even though us Kenpoists would love the opportunity)
    Elbows, knees, permitted....

Anybody have anything to add?

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

they should do it as a triathlon of events, Fighting, Forms and Self Defense.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Combatkenpo For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (1 Week Ago),KirkS (1 Week Ago)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links