Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crecsent Kick

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Crecsent Kick

In my school because of my background in MA I'm continually getting shown advanced parts of the art by my instructors, (cool huh?) last week I learned the crescent and spinning reverse crescent kicks.

This is done by getting to the basic kicking position first (Knee raised and then executing the kick) I like it and it is effective in that you don't see the kick until it is executed, and shows economy in motion. Is this the norm in your schools?

In my experience in CLF (No crecsent in WC) it is a much more visible kick with the leg making a much larger arch by swinging the entire leg from the hip.
    I have also notice the execution is the same as this in TKD, and even the MMA I've seen on the UFC.

With that said I'm not knocking it I like it I just wanted to know your thoughts and how your school executes it.

CK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Crecsent Kick

I do both styles of crescent kicks, and use both styles in my sparring. I prefer the chinese stye of kicking in my forms
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Rob,
    Why do you prefer the longer Chinese style of the kick it is easy to track because of the range? lot's of the Chinese arts practice no kicking above the waist so why practice with that? Power? i also noticed that quite a few of the kenpo/Kempo book I've looked at have it as the full leg crescent kick, so i was just wondering why you prefer it. The WC in me likes the hidden style better but that is just me.

CK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I lke the chinese vesion for my forms/hyung/poomse/kata etc... I like the way it makes the form look. The chinese version may be easier to track when you are sparring, but it is great for moving your opponent back or for setting up another strike
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Try doing the crescent kick to the inside leg just above the knee when sparring.

-Carl

Thanks

Calico Kid wrote:
    This is done by getting to the basic kicking position first (Knee raised and then executing the kick) I like it and it is effective in that you don't see the kick until it is executed, and shows economy in motion.

I love this kick (as you initially described) because it is very deceptive. I've had it work with a higher effectiveness then even the front kicks because of the obscure path and, by my experience that most folks in our beloved system/art aren't accustom to seeing a fat guy that can throw kicks to the head.

My problem with it is that it is limited. No real back up mass, no considerable power. Most folks don't have massively large hip flexors to pull that dude around with a great deal of evil intent. I suppose you might be able to land a knock out if the opponent's chin is up...but, this kick just doesn't seem to be a finisher for me.

That doesn't mean I don't use it to set something else up though.

~Peace
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

We don't do the straight legged crescent. We chamber the kick and whip the leg across with full extension at point of contact.

We teach a basic, defensive crescent as well as an advanced, offensive version. The first one has a broader range of swing, say, corner to corner, and is used as a blocking kick. The second one is "shoulder to shoulder" in range and is used as an offensive strike.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Outward crescent kicks work well for me when I am at close range and fighting near my opponent.

Kenpo Gary
    "The heart of the Kenpo System has always been practical-effective- Self Defense Techniques." Al Tracy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Calico Kid View Post
    In my school because of my background in MA I'm continually getting shown advanced parts of the art by my instructors, (cool huh?) last week I learned the crescent and spinning reverse crescent kicks.

This is done by getting to the basic kicking position first (Knee raised and then executing the kick) I like it and it is effective in that you don't see the kick until it is executed, and shows economy in motion. Is this the norm in your schools?

In my experience in CLF (No crecsent in WC) it is a much more visible kick with the leg making a much larger arch by swinging the entire leg from the hip.
    I have also notice the execution is the same as this in TKD, and even the MMA I've seen on the UFC.

With that said I'm not knocking it I like it I just wanted to know your thoughts and how your school executes it.

CK

KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Calico Kid (12-14-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I first seen that kick used in the old Billy Jack movie, an outward cresent kick. I remembered what Billy Jack said right before he kicked him. I'm going to wap you right here> and you know what? What? There is not a dame thing you going to be able to do about it! It's a close quarter kick. Nubreed
    Sigung Kajukenbo Wun Hop Kuen Do
    Train the way you fight and fight the way you train! http://nubreedma.multiply.com/
    Accumulation of knowledge and hacking away at the unessential is not a product, but a process. It is a continual process that lasts our entire lives. We are contantly accumulating and eliminating. Then again accumulating and eliminating.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Try a spinning outward crecsent followed by an inward crecsent kick with the other leg.
    Now take it air born
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Now take it air born
    We call that the "Butterfly" or "Double Reverse Crescent."
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I really like the front leg outside crescent kick as a "jab." It is fast, easy to get high, and unexpected at close range.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

"you know what I'm going to do? just for the hell of it, I'm going take my right foot and I'm going wop you on that side of your face, and you know what?? theres not a dame thing you could do about it",,, oh wait wrong movie, i guess all this talk about Crescent Kicks did it to me, LOL just having fun guys.
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I learned both methods of delivery. I prefer the long circular version as a warm up for the hips and the "knee chamber and snap" for actual use.

I see the crescent/reverse crescent kicks as having their main usefulness as blocks, eg covering the moon, block the front kick and then front kick the attacker--just the variation that I prefer.

Jim

Thanks

Now take it air born
    We called that a butterfly kick in my TKD days. I still like it...I just can't get the altitude I did when I was 16.
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Calico Kid View Post

CK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toejoe2k View Post
    I love this kick (as you initially described) because it is very deceptive. I've had it work with a higher effectiveness then even the front kicks because of the obscure path and, by my experience that most folks in our beloved system/art aren't accustom to seeing a fat guy that can throw kicks to the head.

My problem with it is that it is limited. No real back up mass, no considerable power. Most folks don't have massively large hip flexors to pull that dude around with a great deal of evil intent. I suppose you might be able to land a knock out if the opponent's chin is up...but, this kick just doesn't seem to be a finisher for me.

That doesn't mean I don't use it to set something else up though.

~Peace
    I agree that those kicks aren't finishers, but find them effective in controlling the centerline by knocking down the guard. For example, a right inward cresent followed by a right hook. It can also be converted into an axe kick, both of which can be incorporated into some SD techniques.
    "Many years of training is wasted by one night of drinking"-oldslowguy

"Pain may be a cruel master..........but it breeds diligent pupils."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Now take it air born
    Sounds like a Tornado kick...they can be powerful because of the rotational momentum if you're able to land it.

The dilema with most spinning or aerial techniques is not telegraphing it a mile away and once you commit... One way to avoid this is to lead with a ridge hand or hook that gets you turning before you initiate the spinning kick and hopefully gets uke moving backwards so they can't easily jam the spin.
    "Many years of training is wasted by one night of drinking"-oldslowguy

"Pain may be a cruel master..........but it breeds diligent pupils."

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

come on people, put your Crecsent Kick down for a min Billy Jack was a great movie,,come on
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links