Thread: Hand Cover

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Hand Cover

How do you employ open hand for cover or protection against opponent's accidental moves, as a cover, or positional check as in EPAK?

Kenpo Gary
    "The heart of the Kenpo System has always been practical-effective- Self Defense Techniques." Al Tracy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Hand Cover

There are many ways to consider hand checking applications in Self Defense. There are precautionary checking , sliding checking, Position Checking, limb checking, body checking, La-la-la-la. I think what you are doing to the opponent at the time counts, if you have worked with a partner or other student's in class and hit them they all will give you different reactions. Therefore you must have different controling factors. The learning and synchronization of both hands working together in order to maximize checking helps. But, I guess, what I do is keep the opposite hand either high along side my head or covering my solar plexus/centerline it helps in not losing it in combat. Other's are as you enter you cover over, under, and inside, outside the Line of Entry. Just my 2 cent's
    Sigung Kajukenbo Wun Hop Kuen Do
    Train the way you fight and fight the way you train! http://nubreedma.multiply.com/
    Accumulation of knowledge and hacking away at the unessential is not a product, but a process. It is a continual process that lasts our entire lives. We are contantly accumulating and eliminating. Then again accumulating and eliminating.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nubreed For This Useful Post:

nelson (01-21-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nubreed View Post
    But, I guess, what I do is keep the opposite hand either high along side my head...
    This is the method I remember as old school kenpo

Kenpo Gary
    "The heart of the Kenpo System has always been practical-effective- Self Defense Techniques." Al Tracy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo Gary View Post
    This is the method I remember as old school kenpo

Kenpo Gary
    And now ??????
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

How do you employ open hand for cover or protection against opponent's accidental moves, as a cover, or positional check as in EPAK?

Kenpo Gary

That is a good question. I do it both ways depending on what I am doing to the other person at the time.
    Why is abbreviate such a long word?

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Kenpo Gary
    I am not trying to be a smart aleck but I find that my free hand goes where it is needed. When we are doing hands on training at my dojo (which is very often) the free hand positions differently depending upon who I am working against, even though we are training the same technique.

Jim

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Hanna For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (01-21-2008),Kenpodave (01-05-2008),still nobody (01-14-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanna View Post
    I am not trying to be a smart aleck but I find that my free hand goes where it is needed. When we are doing hands on training at my dojo (which is very often) the free hand positions differently depending upon who I am working against, even though we are training the same technique.

Jim
    You don't sound like a smart aleck, what you say makes a lot of sense, and you have expressed it in a manner that I am sure many can relate to. Thanks,

Kanpo Gary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanna View Post

Jim
    Yep.
    That's what the waza's are for, training us in the proper unconscious movements that work best.
    Thank you Jim.
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

11. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

nelson (01-21-2008)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links