Thread: Sowing the Seeds

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Sowing the Seeds

This technique was suggested by Kenpodave. So what is it that everyone likes or dislikes about this technique?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Sowing the Seeds

Well, I love the kick at the end, sort of a hybrid of a half wheel and lift kick the way I do it.

It is also a great demonstration technique for the famous "kenpo slap." The heel palm to the jaw can be easily traded for a thumb knuckle to the occipital nerve, or a ridge hand to the brachial plexus, ala "brachial stun."

It feeds perfectly into the wrist lock takedown used in Japanese Hands.

It is the completed version of Miss of the Leap C.

There are so many ways to modify this technique, yet, it works just fine as is. All in all, a solid technique in my opinion.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodave View Post
    Well, I love the kick at the end, sort of a hybrid of a half wheel and lift kick the way I do it.

It is also a great demonstration technique for the famous "kenpo slap." The heel palm to the jaw can be easily traded for a thumb knuckle to the occipital nerve, or a ridge hand to the brachial plexus, ala "brachial stun."

It feeds perfectly into the wrist lock takedown used in Japanese Hands.

It is the completed version of Miss of the Leap C.

There are so many ways to modify this technique, yet, it works just fine as is. All in all, a solid technique in my opinion.
    Am I the only one that likes this technique?
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Thanks

It has been 15 yrs since I have done this technique, so I have no real opinion on it anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Is it possible to discuss it in depth? I'd really like to see details on some Tracy techniques.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

I find it difficult to discuss a technique when you cannot post a technical breakdown of the technique

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    I find it difficult to discuss a technique when you cannot post a technical breakdown of the technique
    That's why I asked. I guess they still have "no discussing outside of class" policy?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Until we hear otherwise form the Tracy organization we will not be posting any technical breakdowns of techniques. But any person who wishes to post their own written versions of the techniques may do so, the just cannot be verbatim from the Tracy manuals or quick reference guide.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I believe it is called Destructive Kneel in EPAKK.

Against a right punch.

Execute an "apple pick" block with the right hand slightly hooking the opponent's right hand to control it.

Execute a left heel claw thru the opponent's right jaw.

Shuffle feet as necessary to place your left knee behind opponent's right leg as you execute a "chinese swing (left backfist followed by right heel claw)" to the face.

With your left knee, buckle the opponent's right knee/leg as you deliver a left punch to the right kidney. Simultaneously deliver a right backfist to the opponent's neck/mastoid process/occipital nerve area.
    Dave

Thanks

I learned it as a version whose targeting is more similar to Destructive Kneel than what Dave has described here, I can certainly see application for the different weapon paths.

Dave gave several options for the inital strike, I will add my preferred: a heel-palm strike to the base of the skull.

Dave in your write-up you gave a description of the knee buckles, in EPAK this is often referred to as a knee check. Are these types of buckles common to the Tracy techs? In my experience they are much more prevelant in the EPAK.

And in your first post you mention the kick, where is the kick in this tech?

Thanks,

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    I learned it as a version whose targeting is more similar to Destructive Kneel than what Dave has described here, I can certainly see application for the different weapon paths.

Dave gave several options for the inital strike, I will add my preferred: a heel-palm strike to the base of the skull.

Dave in your write-up you gave a description of the knee buckles, in EPAK this is often referred to as a knee check. Are these types of buckles common to the Tracy techs? In my experience they are much more prevelant in the EPAK.

And in your first post you mention the kick, where is the kick in this tech?

Thanks,

Lamont
    These buckles are fairly common, though I would not call them prevalent. That said, once they are learned, they tend to show up spontaneously whenever applicable!

As for the kick, I like substituting the knee buckle for a "walk through kick."
    Dave

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Late to the fray ... Sowing the seeds is a great technique, and one of my personal favorites. It is amenable to all kinds of hand strikes, grabs, and general modifications that I am surprised it isn't used more than it is. Of course, being large framed, and having, many years ago, studied several different Chinese long hand styles of Kung fu, I have to admit to being very partial to "Chinese Swings".

Thanks for bringing this technique to the table.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links