Thread: May 2006 - Form of the Month - Mass Attacks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default May 2006 - Form of the Month - Mass Attacks

The title gives away the theme of the form, but what other lessons does it teach?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: May 2006 - Form of the Month - Mass Attacks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    The title gives away the theme of the form, but what other lessons does it teach?
    Response to varied angles of attack responses. Mass Attack is an excellent form to show the variety of Kenpo's arsenal.
    Dave Simmons
    Twin Dragon Kenpo Karate
    http://www.mnkenpokarate.com
    651 230-0842

Thanks

I think it really works the 'what if' angle.

Just when you think you've kicked all the butt you can kick, someone else comes out of the woodwork.

Awareness of surroundings.

It's amazing to me how many people have no awareness of what's around them. Practicing mass attack keeps your eyes moving and your awareness shifting.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (05-16-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Most forms do a technique power side followed by weak side. Mass Attack does the entire form power side, followed by the entire form weak side. It creates a different sort of awareness of your body and motion that way.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

When I first learned Mass Attack circa 1973, I was only required to learn it from the dominant side. Later, while visiting Mr Tracy, he asked that I perform Mass Attack B (non dominant side). Having never done it, I think that I got through the first two techniques before becoming too baffled to continue. --I always tell that story when I teach Mass Attack B.

Jim

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanna
    When I first learned Mass Attack circa 1973, I was only required to learn it from the dominant side. Later, while visiting Mr Tracy, he asked that I perform Mass Attack B (non dominant side). Having never done it, I think that I got through the first two techniques before becoming too baffled to continue. --I always tell that story when I teach Mass Attack B.

Jim
    I don't "teach it" anymore. I still require that everyone do it, but I have moved more towards having my students, as GM Tracy did to/for you, hack it out for themselves. I think it is rather enlightening that way.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodave
    I don't "teach it" anymore. I still require that everyone do it, but I have moved more towards having my students, as GM Tracy did to/for you, hack it out for themselves. I think it is rather enlightening that way.
    Can you please explain why you "don't teach it?"

Respects
    " Come with me, and I will complete your trainning."

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kenpo
    Can you please explain why you "don't teach it?"

Respects
    Given that students already know the form from their power side, I find that it is better for them to teach the weak side to themselves. First, they tend to retain it better (and the power side), and they tend to understand their own movements better. It is a step towards teaching them to ask and answer their own questions, as they are nearing the level where they will no longer have ongoing, weekly instruction.
    Dave

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodave
    Given that students already know the form from their power side, I find that it is better for them to teach the weak side to themselves. First, they tend to retain it better (and the power side), and they tend to understand their own movements better. It is a step towards teaching them to ask and answer their own questions, as they are nearing the level where they will no longer have ongoing, weekly instruction.
    Good answer Dave. I do pretty much the same thing. I also, however, have beginning students teach their newest techniques to newer students. This, of course, is done under observation of an instructor, but I like the idea of, very early on, getting students to think for themselves. When they have to teach it, they tend to figure it out more readily, and it opens them up to their own possibilities.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sigung86
    Good answer Dave. I do pretty much the same thing. I also, however, have beginning students teach their newest techniques to newer students. This, of course, is done under observation of an instructor, but I like the idea of, very early on, getting students to think for themselves. When they have to teach it, they tend to figure it out more readily, and it opens them up to their own possibilities.
    Exactly. It gives them "permission" to answer their own questions.
    Dave

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Default the real secret behind Mass Attacks Kata

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    I think it really works the 'what if' angle.
    Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    Awareness of surroundings.
    It's amazing to me how many people have no awareness of what's around them. Practicing mass attack keeps your eyes moving and your awareness shifting.--Amy

Yes, and?

“Mass attacks” Kata is a systemized “2 attack" group of sequences.

So you are trained to fight one then another all the way through the form.

That is IMPORTANT because most people hit one guy, and then are not trained to segue to the next.

And if you are not trained in going from one person to another, no matter where they are on the clock you can NOT do it spontaneously.

I’ve developed some neat feedback Waza for that;-)

©Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hanna View Post
    When I first learned Mass Attack circa 1973, I was only required to learn it from the dominant side. Later, while visiting Mr Tracy, he asked that I perform Mass Attack B (non dominant side). Having never done it, I think that I got through the first two techniques before becoming too baffled to continue. --I always tell that story when I teach Mass Attack B.Jim
    Hummm?

In my opinon there is NO reason to ever have any student (or teacher) do that Kata from the non-dominant side.

This topic has already been covered much.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

From what I have been told, Long Forms 3 and 4 were not scored well in tournaments in the early 1960s because most of the tournaments in those days were held by Japanese stylists.

Around 1963, Ed Parker gave several of his black belts (including the Tracy brothers) permission to create a form that would "look good" in open forms competition. This is where Mass Attacks came in, and although it was an "unauthorized" Kenpo form, it had Ed Parker's approval. Since it was "unauthorized", Ed Parker gave the leeway of competitors to alter it as they see fit to improve their chances in tournaments, and to fit the form to the individual. Mass Attacks later became a required form in the Tracy system.

I still know this form, and continue to practice it from time to time (but like John La Tourrette suggested, I practice the dominant side only).
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    Hummm?

In my opinon there is NO reason to ever have any student (or teacher) do that Kata from the non-dominant side.

This topic has already been covered much.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

When I was gearing up for my Fifth test I made sure that I could do all my katas dominant and nondominant side, facing any of the four walls of my dojo. After my Mass Attack fiasco I promised myself I would be ready for anything that Mr Tracy asked me to do. After my promotion, I never practiced the forms again from the nondominant side. When I think about it, I really don't regret the time/work into the nondominant side practice. It was a sideroad on my kenpo journey. If some guys want to run further down that road, then that's ok too. I'm sure they have their purposes.

Jim

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Hanna For This Useful Post:

flying crane (05-16-2007),John M. La Tourrette (05-16-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    From what I have been told, Long Forms 3 and 4 were not scored well in tournaments in the early 1960s because most of the tournaments in those days were held by Japanese stylists.
    Yep.

One of the reasons Mass Attacks was made up was to win tournaments, and it did. It is also a great Kata.

On another note, L-3 also won, "IF" it was hardened a bit by adding Shotokan reverse punches, breathing and foot-stomping.

Once the "hard" was added all those taekwon-do and other hard stylists just about fell in love.

The same with L-4. Sandy Sandoval was the master of winning with that one, even in a hard style tournament.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links