Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese Sword Chambering/Positional Checking

Thanks
    Thanked 3,582 Times in 2,188 Posts

Default Re: Japanese Sword Chambering/Positional Checking

Quote Originally Posted by windy View Post
    Chambering in karate is an action as well. People don't casually press their fists by their chest or their hips as an engarde position. It's meant to train the idea of using both arms at the same time in opposite but complementary directions for a desired effect.
    This is one of it's lessons in Kenpo as well.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

KenpoGhost (01-28-2014)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,793 Times in 5,513 Posts

Well, no. Not from my karate perspective which may be admittedly wrong when speaking about kenpo. The chamber is more about training the opposite arm to do something useful such as pulling and unbalance as you push or strike with the lead arm. But sure we can interpret a chamber as loading up to strike with the same arm. I just thought kenpo in general discarded such things in favor of speed via striking from wherever the weapon is at the moment. Am I wrong here?

Chambering and checking/guarding can coincide in the same overall body movement but they can be exclusive of each other too. The way Mr. Tracy shows his chamber in Japanese Sword B actually opens up his left upper gate for attack IMO - but I'm more than accepting that this is just the first technique taught to beginners and that other more advanced techniques teach other concepts perhaps with more margin of safety if the attacker has a 1-2 beat.

Thanks for your answer.
    Be careful. You're making too much sense in martial arts terms, however that may have nothing to do with what you're learning. I agree "chambering" is supposed to be about a lot more than "preparation."
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-31-2014),KenpoGhost (01-31-2014),MarkC (01-29-2014)

Thanks

I just thought kenpo in general discarded such things in favor of speed via striking from wherever the weapon is at the moment. Am I wrong here?
    Just to touch on this point, in a nutshell, yes you are wrong with regards to Tracy's Kenpo.

There are some variations of Kenpo, which are easy to find on Youtube, where they seem to emphasize speed over everything else. Other, more traditional, martial arts sometimes refer to those variations or techniques as the "slap happy" kenpo, or some other derogatory term. In their videos, they will have very fast hands, but you will often notice a disconnect between their top and bottom halves of their body.

There are some times in Tracy's where you use fast hands, but we still heavily emphasize solid stances and solid power delivery utilizing the whole body.

If you are working on your techniques, and only focusing on speed, you are missing out on a lot of what Tracy's offers.
    Kenpo, moving in open piecewise Bézier curves since 2011

Trying hard not to lapse into speaking kenponics

Been doing computers since 1982, on forums, chats and all for nearly 3 decades. Only ever blocked one person.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J-squared For This Useful Post:

jdinca (01-31-2014),KenpoGhost (01-31-2014),KirkS (01-31-2014),windy (01-31-2014)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,793 Times in 5,513 Posts

Chambering in karate is an action as well. People don't casually press their fists by their chest or their hips as an engarde position. It's meant to train the idea of using both arms at the same time in opposite but complementary directions for a desired effect.
    May I suggest, in order to channel discussions, you stop mixing your drinks and decide which "Kenpo" you want to discuss. Comparisons are nice but you'll have to drop the "general kenpo" references, and be specific in your comments. All Kenpo obviously is not the same, and some Kenpo is completely different from either Tracy's of Ed Parker's of the discussion, and Parker had many branches.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

J-squared (01-31-2014),KenpoGhost (01-31-2014)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I am going through the videos made by Mr. Tracy with the intention of studying the techs one by one. Mr. Tracy explains that in the B variation, the left arm chambers in preparation for a retaliatory punch which seems straight forward enough of an explanation at the base level.

Could someone versed in the Tracy system explain if there should be any considerations made for a more intermediate level student with regard to point of origin and positional checking in Japanese Sword? I'm not sure if these are more EPAK ideas or not... but I am curious if modifications are appropriate later on to ensure a higher margin of safety for a second punch coming from the attacker as well as speed considerations resulting from cutting out the chamber entirely.

Thank you.
    I didn't read any of the responses before I wrote this, so I am sorry if my points have already been made. I wanted to my answer to be more organic. I will go back and read the responses after I post this one.

Japanese Sword is a teaching tool. Its lesson is to highlight the pros and cons of a linear style of fighting. In contrast to Chinese Sword who’s lesson highlights the pros and cons of a circular style of fighting.

In is interesting to note that Japanese Sword is the only purely linear technique and Chinese Sword is the only purely circular technique in the entire system.

Japanese Sword is also taught with the student chambering the hands before the technique starts. This is to point out to the student that techniques should have no beginning, or more specifically that you should have no certain starting point for a technique. For example, a some students touch his/her legs before each technique, nod, or take a deep breath. Those are beginnings that take time and you are already behind because a punch is coming.

To answer your question, yes I believe modifications are appropriate later as long as you understand why it is taught the way it is taught. In fact, the system makes the modifications for you in later techniques.

Hope this helps.
    Brandon
    Last edited by BJTipton; 02-13-2014 at 12:49 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BJTipton For This Useful Post:

DavidCC (02-17-2014)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links