Thread: February 2006 Tracy's Technique Of The Month - Crashing Eagle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default February 2006 Tracy's Technique Of The Month - Crashing Eagle

What all is taught in the technique Crash Of The Eagle Pt1.

Do we actually need all the variations. You thought and opinion are needed.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: February 2006 Tracy's Technique Of The Month - Crashing Eagle

learn the base move's and then when you get it down (i mean really good)
    you don't need to use all the other stuff,"ie part 2. part 3 and so on
    just do insert's, works for me
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,192 Posts

For me, the most important things taught in Crash of the Eagle is the cross step and how the turn into the fighting stance brings the body into play and adds power to the elbow trap.

We do four variations. A and B on differ on the final hand strike. C is for an attacker trying to get away and D is for an attacker who's in too close. Doing multiple versions emphasizes the cross step and the turn even more, while at the same time teaching the student to deal with variations on the situation.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    For me, the most important things taught in Crash of the Eagle is the cross step and how the turn into the fighting stance brings the body into play and adds power to the elbow trap.

We do four variations. A and B on differ on the final hand strike. C is for an attacker trying to get away and D is for an attacker who's in too close. Doing multiple versions emphasizes the cross step and the turn even more, while at the same time teaching the student to deal with variations on the situation.
    and thats why they are called inserts, you just expland what it is, and one more thing you can never tell where the person will end up at anyway, so you can use inserts or try grafting.
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I like to use it to teach torque and how having good base at the correct time is important to being able to apply power and use speed.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Great what else does this technique teach?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Historically, I think that we get a snapshot perspective through Crash of the Eagle. In the 1950's, the various hand formations were very unique and compelling when compared/contrasted with the closed hand of western boxing, and the grab of western wrestling. Today, they are commonly accepted as run of the mill, even by blue belt type standards.

Crash of the Eagle, part 1, is a great technique for a rear choke with forward momentum. Because it uses the dominant hand, it even becomes more effective when utilized with a fist load, such as an ink pen. What was effective, becomes devastating. There is even a whole tactical lesson on rear chokes, i.e. how to choke, who gets choked and by whom.

Crash of the Eagle, part 2, ABC again utilizes the dominant hand but the strikes do not convert so easily to a fist load. As has been previously posted, DEFGHI integrates and sophisticates the technique through insertion of the nondominant hand in a seamless manner.

Jim

Thanks
    Thanked 3,586 Times in 2,192 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Great what else does this technique teach?
    To a lesser extent, it also teaches balance through proper placement of the foot on the cross step. It's the rare student that doesn't wobble the first few times they cross step or when they turn. It can teach the importance of turning the head first, for targeting and for balance. It also addresses timing in that the elbow trap and finishing the turn into the fighting stance need to occur at the same time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

As for the importance of the variations...

The D version is basically the first two movements of the elbow/hammerfist/kick combination in Sumo. I use this variation to show students that a big part of the reason there is so much repetition and overlap in Tracy's is because there are different ways to "get there from here." Most students will not discover that on their own. It is also the reason the kick is left off. When Sumo is discovered here, it is like unearthing a new gem, and it sets off a chain reaction of discovery.

An important aspect of kenpo is to understand that if a movement works as a follow up to another movement, it will work that way everywhere. In Kimono Grab, for example, the chop is followed with the elbow/hammer/kick. And, the elbow/hammer/kick works after that chop everywhere else, such as Chinese Sword.

I tell students it is like being lost without a map, but suddenly you get to a place you know, and suddenly, the way home becomes clear. Each technique is a new situation, but at some point, a strike or block should illuminate a natural flow of movement to end the confrontation.

That is why we have so many techniques that repeat combinations used before, and why I feel that learning a base technique and then filling in my own insertions does not work for most students who have a life outside the studio.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links