Thread: Tracy Curriculum, most versatile technique

Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,456 Posts

Default Tracy Curriculum, most versatile technique

In my opinion, Crash of the Eagle may be the most versatile technique, tho I've learned very few of the techs beyond Shodan so I cannot comment on the entire system.

Even tho this tech is done against a driving attack to the back of the neck from behind, it can be easily adapted to grabs or pushes from other directions, as well as punching attacks. Really, anything where the enemy is "reaching" for you as a grab or strike. Convert the initial off-line step into simply a step away from the enemy, and use the very same clearing movement with the arm. Then follow up with whatever your heart desires.

Grabs from the front, either one- or two-handed, step back and clear.

Grabs from the side, step away and clear.

pushes and punches from different directions, same thing.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

2. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

sigung86 (08-11-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Tracy Curriculum, most versatile technique

It is a good one. You can use elements of the technique in just about any situation. In fact, I just used it the other day working with a fellow firearms instructor on gun-retention!

"He who hesitates...meditates in the horizontal position!"
    - Mr. Edmund K. Parker Sr.

You should follow me on twitter here.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thesensei For This Useful Post:

flying crane (08-11-2010),sigung86 (08-11-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

Found a few clips...

"You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HKphooey For This Useful Post:

KirkS (08-11-2010)

Thanks

I don't get to watch clips at work. I'll need to check these out later
    Michael

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,799 Times in 5,517 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    In my opinion, Crash of the Eagle may be the most versatile technique, tho I've learned very few of the techs beyond Shodan so I cannot comment on the entire system.

Even tho this tech is done against a driving attack to the back of the neck from behind, it can be easily adapted to grabs or pushes from other directions, as well as punching attacks. Really, anything where the enemy is "reaching" for you as a grab or strike. Convert the initial off-line step into simply a step away from the enemy, and use the very same clearing movement with the arm. Then follow up with whatever your heart desires.

Grabs from the front, either one- or two-handed, step back and clear.

Grabs from the side, step away and clear.

pushes and punches from different directions, same thing.
    Dr. Ted Sumner has been kind enough to join the KenpoTalk Family to enter general discussions, as well as support the Tracy Section, however although he has registered he is having log in problems as of now.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

flying crane (08-12-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Dr. Ted Sumner has been kind enough to join the KenpoTalk Family to enter general discussions, as well as support the Tracy Section, however although he has registered he is having log in problems as of now.
    Cool. I knew that he checked out what was being discussed from time to time, but wasn't a member. With his own website and discussion forums, I think he didn't feel he had much extra time to spare. It'll be good to see his input on some of these discussions. Unfortunately my training with him has been largely interrupted since the beginning of this year, due to difficulties in work that make it near impossible to make the trip to San Jose in time for class. I've only seen him a handful of times over the last seven or eight months.

I've attempted to join the forum on his website, but it's blocked at work, and for some reason I've had registration and log-in difficulties at home that have prevented me from getting in. Haven't been able to figure out what the problem is. Maybe my Mac isn't compatible for some reason, it's weird.
    Michael

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Cool. I knew that he checked out what was being discussed from time to time, but wasn't a member. With his own website and discussion forums, I think he didn't feel he had much extra time to spare. It'll be good to see his input on some of these discussions. Unfortunately my training with him has been largely interrupted since the beginning of this year, due to difficulties in work that make it near impossible to make the trip to San Jose in time for class. I've only seen him a handful of times over the last seven or eight months.

I've attempted to join the forum on his website, but it's blocked at work, and for some reason I've had registration and log-in difficulties at home that have prevented me from getting in. Haven't been able to figure out what the problem is. Maybe my Mac isn't compatible for some reason, it's weird.
    After much "coercion, and guilting" on my part, I convinced my friend Dr. Sumner to join in and participate as much as possible. He is a very knowledgeable Martial Artist in general and certainly would be a boost to the Tracy discussions as well. I and Bob Hubbard felt we needed a "Tracy Authority" on the site. Now he's having log in problems and I'm hoping someone can take care of it as soon as possible. I'm on a MAC at home and work with no problems.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

Thanks

hmmm... maybe it has something to do with my cookies setting or whatnot...

When I register and try to log in to his forum, I just keep getting kicked out. I'll poke around with the cookies and that kind of stuff...I'm not very literate with all that but maybe if I lower my computer's defense systems I'll get in...
    Michael

Thanks

There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Arizona Angel For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (08-13-2010)

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Welcome, Dr. Sumner!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,699 Times in 966 Posts

Welcome Dr. Sumner. I look forward to your insights and contributions. Your reputation certainly precedes you here on KT.
    Joel Ellis
    LaGrange, GA

"This whole thing is about balance and timing." -- Damon Excell

If you do not consciously form good habits, you will unconsciously form bad ones.

If it is important, do it every day. If it is not important, don’t do it at all. (Dan Gable’s coaching philosophy)

Thanks

Based on the video examples posted this looks very similar to Circling Wing and Thrusting Wedge in EPAK. It uses patterns also found in Raking Eight and Stopping the Storm from the IKCA curriculum. I agree, it is a very versatile technique. The relative body position, movement pattern, and weapons illustrated by it are very common.

Are the video examples posted fairly true to the way Tracy's practitioners here expect it to be performed? I'm not asking for criticism of the videos, just trying to get a sense if the execution in those videos is fairly typical.
    Joel Ellis
    LaGrange, GA

If you do not consciously form good habits, you will unconsciously form bad ones.

If it is important, do it every day. If it is not important, don’t do it at all. (Dan Gable’s coaching philosophy)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to J Ellis For This Useful Post:

HKphooey (08-13-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J Ellis View Post

Are the video examples posted fairly true to the way Tracy's practitioners here expect it to be performed? I'm not asking for criticism of the videos, just trying to get a sense if the execution in those videos is fairly typical.
    as far as the simple mechanics of the tech goes, they are not too far off. The third video added sort of an extra variant with the arm-wrap, not something we do in that particular tech, but I'd say it could be a valid idea.

There was a good bit lost in the intent and intensity of the execution in all of the videos. A primary issue is, where is the attacker directing his force with the attack? Probably he is actually driving into the back of your neck, and driving you forward. Maybe trying to drive you into a wall or something. He's probably not just standing there with his hands on your shoulders and giving no directional force. That's the most obvious criticism of the first two videos.

When he drives you forward, that crossing step takes you off the line of his force. You have essentially side-stepped his driving push and done a lot to nullify the force of his attack. This enables you to complete the tech and deal with him.

The other side of the tech is done in the third video, where the attacker's force may be used to grab and pull you backwards. Stepping back in the opposite way you would step forward will re-establish your base and allow you to pivot and clear his hands from you.

Recognizing how the attacker is likely to apply his force is very important in understanding how to respond and why you respond in that way. It's also important in understanding what is likely in an attack. It's very unlikely that the bad guy is going to just grab you by the shoulders or neck and stand there. He's probably got intentions that include driving or yanking on you, and this tech is designed to deal with either option.
    Michael

20. The Following User Says Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

J Ellis (08-13-2010)

Thanks

as far as the simple mechanics of the tech goes, they are not too far off. The third video added sort of an extra variant with the arm-wrap, not something we do in that particular tech, but I'd say it could be a valid idea.

There was a good bit lost in the intent and intensity of the execution in all of the videos. A primary issue is, where is the attacker directing his force with the attack? Probably he is actually driving into the back of your neck, and driving you forward. Maybe trying to drive you into a wall or something. He's probably not just standing there with his hands on your shoulders and giving no directional force. That's the most obvious criticism of the first two videos.

When he drives you forward, that crossing step takes you off the line of his force. You have essentially side-stepped his driving push and done a lot to nullify the force of his attack. This enables you to complete the tech and deal with him.

The other side of the tech is done in the third video, where the attacker's force may be used to grab and pull you backwards. Stepping back in the opposite way you would step forward will re-establish your base and allow you to pivot and clear his hands from you.

Recognizing how the attacker is likely to apply his force is very important in understanding how to respond and why you respond in that way. It's also important in understanding what is likely in an attack. It's very unlikely that the bad guy is going to just grab you by the shoulders or neck and stand there. He's probably got intentions that include driving or yanking on you, and this tech is designed to deal with either option.
    Thanks for clarifying those points.
    Joel Ellis
    LaGrange, GA

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Yep.

A true rear choke has to pull you backwards, hence the step back. It takes practice to stabilize into the stance when being choked back hard.

But, that's not to say that people will not try to apply a rear choke while driving you forward. Improperly set chokes are actually the norm in my experience as an LEO.

If the attacker drives you forward, you may actually need to "yield" with the attack and take a couple of steps before off angling. It actually makes it easier to execute the technique.

Jim

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Hanna For This Useful Post:

flying crane (08-14-2010),HKphooey (08-26-2010),J-squared (08-14-2010),punisher73 (08-16-2010),thesensei (08-14-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I asked this question to Mr. Tracy a number of years ago, and his answer was "smother block." Done correctly, it will block pretty much any frontal attack, and even Crash of the Eagle is a variation of it to the rear. Follow ups from the smother are pretty much unlimited.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenpodave For This Useful Post:

flying crane (09-12-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I used this on an unsuspecting friend many years back. He jumped on my back from behind. My situational awareness was a bit off; I was sauced at the time. Moving off the centerline and clearing the space with the arm was effective. Fortunately, I didn't follow through with the rest of the technique.
    "Many years of training is wasted by one night of drinking"-oldslowguy

"Pain may be a cruel master..........but it breeds diligent pupils."

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

I'm usually on MAC as well, and his site won't accept the Safari Browser, and is the reason I rarely go there.

www.MSUACF.com

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

flying crane (09-13-2010)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links