EPAKS Yellow Belt Manual (20 of 48 pages)

Disclaimer:
I appreciate everyone's response to the information being released
(specifically the belt manual). Although the information contained is
invaluable to the study of American Kenpo, please understand that this, like
most all writings, are subject to typographical errors.

This material was in the final editing stages at the time of my fathers passing.
It is possible to find typos in reference to such things as directions of
movement, weapons used or selected targets. This material should be used as
a resource, not your primary means of study in the Art. Seek out
knowledgeable instruction to ensure proper understanding of the material.
This material is for personal reference and historical purposes only, and not intended for resale.

Enjoy,

Ed Parker Jr.

PS Although I am offering this material at no cost. I am encouraging for those who are not a member here in this forum please do so, as it helps me to feel some effort is being made on you behalf as well. It is greatly appreciated when you either show your support to me by ordering a custom avatar or purchase a piece of artwork from me as that is my MAIN source of income.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________
TECHNIQUES FOR YELLOW BELT

1. DELAYED SWORD (front - right hand lapel grab)
  1. Standing naturally, step back with your left foot toward 6:00 into a right neutral bow stance facing 12:00, while simultaneously executing a right inward block to the right inner wrist of your opponent's right hand lapel grab. At the same time position your left hand at solar-plexus level as a precautionary check against further action. (Your block should clear your opponent's right arm, and expose the width of his body.)
  2. Immediately slide your right foot back into a cat stance.
  3. Without hesitation deliver a right front snap ball kick to your opponent's groin. (Your opponent's reaction should cause him to bend forward at the waist.)
  4. Plant your right foot forward into a right neutral bow (facing 12:00), to check your opponent's right knee, as you deliver a right outward handsword strike to the right side of your opponent's neck. Remember to maintain the position of your left hand as a precautionary check. Immediately slide your right hand (after the strike) to the right wrist of your opponent as an additional precautionary check. (Your opponent's response should cause him to fall to the ground.)

2. ALTERNATING MACES (front - two-hand push)
  1. Standing naturally, and as your opponent attempts to push you, step back with your left foot toward 6:00 into a right neutral bow stance (facing 12:00). Simultaneously execute a right inward block to the outside of your opponent's left arm, while your left hand checks at your solar plexus. (This action should turn the width of your opponent's body, and redirect his forward momentum off center.)
  2. Immediately collapse your right arm across the top of both of your opponent's arms (to act as checks), as you deliver a left vertical thrust punch (tracking over your right arm) to your opponent's sternum or solar-plexus. This is done while pivoting into a right forward bow stance. Remember, both the stance change and punch must work in synchronization with each other in order to maximize the force of your left vertical thrust punch. (Your opponent's reaction should cause his body to bend forward at the waist.)
  3. Immediately convert your left punch into a check by having it shift, palm open and down, on top of both your opponent's arms. Simultaneously have your right hand rapidly travel inside and over your left arm as you deliver a right outward back knuckle strike to your opponent's right temple. This transition is done while pivoting back into a right neutral bow stance. (The torque stemming from your stance change helps to increase the whipping action of your right hand, and, if properly executed, should cause your opponent`s head to be driven up and back, with the possibility of his arms flailing upward.)
  4. Immediately have your right hand snap back as a positional check.

3. SWORD OF DESTRUCTION
(front - left straight or roundhouse punch)
  1. Standing naturally, step back with your left foot toward 6:00 into a right neutral bow stance (facing 12:00), as you simultaneously execute a right extended outward block to the inner forearm of your opponent's left punch. Your left hand should be in a positional check, covering your solar-plexus.
  2. Immediately slide your right foot back into a 45 degree cat stance.
  3. Without hesitation deliver a right front snap ball kick to your opponent's groin. (Your kick should cause your opponent to bend forward at the waist.)
  4. While planting your right foot forward, inside of your opponent's left leg, and into a right neutral bow (facing 12:00), employ Marriage of Gravity as you execute a right inward handsword strike to the left side of your opponent's neck. (This action should cause your opponent to fall to the ground.)
  5. Immediately snap your right hand back to the left shoulder
  6. of your opponent to act as a check.

Ed Parker Sr. Memories
Archived with the permission of Ed Parker Jr.
Ed Parker Sr. was the founder of the art known today as American Kenpo.
In these files, Ed Parker Jr. shares his fathers unpublished notes and other memories with us.