Thread: EPAKS Yellow Belt Manual (8-11 of 48 pages)

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Default EPAKS Yellow Belt Manual (8-11 of 48 pages)

EPAKS Yellow Belt Manual (8-11 of 48 pages)

(This material is NOT to be used for resale and is intended for personal and historical use only)

This file is what Ed Parker approved to publish at the time of his passing.

ED PARKER

Mr. Ed Parker is the foremost authority and instructor of Kenpo Karate in the United States today and is known world-wide as "Mr. Karate". He is the "Founder of American Kenpo", the president and founder of the Ed Parker Kenpo Karate Studio chain, as well as the International Kenpo Karate Association. He is the Father of American Karate having originated the first American version of Karate. He commenced teaching professionally in Provo, Utah in 1954. He opened his first professional Karate studio in the United States in Pasadena, California in 1956.

He has been featured in National and International magazines: Time, Look, Strength and Health, Show Business Illustrated, Iron Man, Action Karate, Black Belt, Karate Illustrated, Official Karate, Inside Kung Fu, American Karate, and Karate/Kung Fu Illustrated; in newspapers nation-wide; Martial Arts' magazines world wide; articles in the World Encyclopedia and many others.

He has appeared in dozens of movies and television shows, including Revenge of the Pink Panther and The Curse of the Pink Panther. In addition, he has taught Karate to nearly every big name actor and actress in Hollywood -- including, Robert Culp, Joey Bishop, Jose Ferrar, Rick Jason, Nick Adams, Frank Lovejoy, Robert Wagner, Elvis Presley, Natalie Wood and Elke Sommer, to name a few. He has also been a technical advisor for motion pictures and T.V.

Mr. Parker has spoken, lectured or put on his exciting demonstrations at: high schools, colleges, civic clubs, clinics, tournaments, church groups, youth groups, etc. He is a highly sought-after speaker and his Karate demonstrations are famous nation and world-wide. He is in great demand throughout the world to put on his blinding demonstrations of speed, skill and power along with his picturesque analogies when explaining the Art so all can understand. He frequently puts on Seminars and Demonstrations in Australia, England, Spain, Ireland, Chile, Venezuela and has many worldwide government officials as his students.

Throughout the years Mr. Parker has authored many books: Basic Karate Book, Kenpo Karate, The Women's Guide to Self Defense, Secrets of Chinese Karate, A Guide to Law Enforcement, Home Study Karate Workshop Course, A Guide To The Nunchaku, Infinite Insights into Kenpo (Volumes 1-5), The Zen Of Kenpo, Kenpo In The Streets, Speak With A Knife, Speak With A Club, Everyday Gestures That Can Save Your Life, Answers To Multiple Attacks On The Street, Inside Elvis, Accumulative Journals (Yellow - 5th Black), and his revolutionary Encyclopedia of Kenpo. Instructional video tapes are also products of his endeavors to enlighten others of the merits of Kenpo.

He is a graduate of Kamehameha High School (1949), Honolulu, Hawaii where he was born and raised. Mr.Parker has a B.S. Degree from Brigham Young University (1956) with a Major in Sociology and Psychology, and a Minor in Political Science.

Mr. Parker annually produces the world's largest and foremost Karate tournament, the International Karate Championships in Long Beach, California. Mr. Parker is also a consultant and advisor to numerous other Karate tournaments world-wide.

Mr. Parker's uniqueness rests in his continuous efforts to combat traditional restrictions binding progressive thinking. He is truly a creative genius because of his incredible ability to discover the problems within the Martial Arts. His contributions and innovations are endless, encompassing logic and reasoning not yet employed by others. His four decades of experience, contributions, and endeavors establish him as the Master of our system, the author of our training material, and the final voice of approval.

SAYINGS FOR YELLOW BELT
    • Distance is your best friend.
    • Whatever the attitude, so is the response.
    • When blocking on the inside of an opponent's arm, do so below the elbow, never above it.
    • When blocking on the outside of an opponent's arm, do so at or above the elbow, never below it.
    • The ankle is the wrist of the foot.
    • A knife-edge kick is a chop with the foot.
    • Deflection; then infliction of pain.
    Please learn your sayings. They are invaluable tools. Some make comparative analysis for you; others provide practical insights into the way real survival encounters are. All sayings provide logical and useful insights into Kenpo. The application of many may be extended into other facets of your daily life.

SYNONYMS
    • Hammer...Side of Clenched Fist (Hammer Portion of Hand)
    • Mace...Fist
    • Storm...Club Attack
    • Sword...Side of Open Hand (Chop or Handsword)
    • Twig...Arm
    The synonyms used in the self-defense techniques were developed for several reasons. Their usage makes the names of the self-defense techniques more colorful, descriptive, and interesting. Secondly, the name often indicates the attacking weapon, or your response to the attack.

Ed Parker Sr. Memories
    Archived with the permission of Ed Parker Jr.
    Ed Parker Sr. was the founder of the art known today as American Kenpo.
    In these files, Ed Parker Jr. shares his fathers unpublished notes and other memories with us.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (07-18-2007),HKphooey (07-18-2007)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,870 Times in 5,550 Posts

Default Re: EPAKS Yellow Belt Manual (8-11 of 48 pages)

I'm familiar with this version of his material. This opening section was written by Ed Parker himself, (not everything was) and reflects some things I have mentioned in previous posts myself. Here are some of my thoughts and insights on Mr. Parker's Forward to his first manual.

Mr. Ed Parker is the foremost authority and instructor of Kenpo Karate in the United States today and is known world-wide as "Mr. Karate". He is the "Founder of American Kenpo", the president and founder of the Ed Parker Kenpo Karate Studio chain, as well as the International Kenpo Karate Association. He is the Father of American Karate having originated the first American version of Karate. He commenced teaching professionally in Provo, Utah in 1954. He opened his first professional Karate studio in the United States in Pasadena, California in 1956.
    Notice that although he writes that he is the "Founder of American Kenpo," he goes on to say he is also the "President of the Ed Parker Kenpo Karate Studio chain." These quotes are important because it shows that he made a clear distinction between "American Kenpo" and "Kenpo Karate."

You'll notice that in his writing he subtlety does not use the word "karate" in conjunction with "American kenpo." Parker always considered them two separate and distinct entities. He lent his name to the business of Kenpo through the Ed Parker Kenpo Karate Studios, but American Kenpo always stood alone. He always asserted that the word "Karate" was not a part of his art, but was necessary for the business version of the art for marketability.

Parker never wanted his art labeled with his name. He always felt that was "bush league," and the art should and would stand alone with broader credibility historically without his name attached. American Kenpo was his baby. A project he started to convert Chinese Kenpo to his unique American perspective.

Ed Parker's Kenpo Karate and its Studios was the diversion art he created to financially support the former, and lay the framework for what I believe would have been a "conversion" process for some once he felt he and students were ready. He often spoke of many principles and ideas inherent in American kenpo, that were excluded from kenpo Karate, and how he and instructor/studnts were "not ready."

The business of Kenpo Karate was different however. Parker felt that in business, "branding" was important for broader appeal in a standardized "identity" of the product. He wanted to be like "McDonald's." No matter where you went, if you saw the sign "Ed Parker's Kenpo Karate," you knew what to expect and what you were getting.
    Throughout the years Mr. Parker has authored many books: Basic Karate Book, Kenpo Karate, The Women's Guide to Self Defense, Secrets of Chinese Karate, A Guide to Law Enforcement, Home Study Karate Workshop Course, A Guide To The Nunchaku, Infinite Insights into Kenpo (Volumes 1-5), The Zen Of Kenpo, Kenpo In The Streets, Speak With A Knife, Speak With A Club, Everyday Gestures That Can Save Your Life, Answers To Multiple Attacks On The Street, Inside Elvis, Accumulative Journals (Yellow - 5th Black), and his revolutionary Encyclopedia of Kenpo. Instructional video tapes are also products of his endeavors to enlighten others of the merits of Kenpo.
    Here you see Mr. Parker mentions again projects that were completed, in progress, and even just ideas for the future. The "Guide to Law Enforcement" was a project he and I were working on together, and formed a significant root and philosophy in my own training. It gave me unique access to information he had developed specifically for that purpose.

The "Home Study Karate Workshop" was a favorite expansion idea he had on the burner. In his mind it was to be designed to fill the market place where the population, or circumstances would not financially support a commercial school.

A major component of this "Karate Course" was to be video instruction. As I've written before, the idea of video study originated with Ed Parker, and Chuck Sullivan merely followed through after his death, by adding it to the already in existence IKCA Curriculum. Parker's plan also included a geographically "roving" group of instructors, who would test and support instruction in person on a quarterly basis. However make no mistake, the video idea originated with Ed Parker.

"Kenpo In The Streets" is the source of a mild disagreement between he and I. I always felt that the phrase was redundant, but he pointed out the commercial system by design, lacked a great deal of that information, and a "Kenpo In The Street" series could be the first step in filling in the gap as he readied his "American Kenpo" for dissemination.

"Speak With A Knife" was a project started and shelved for a significant reason. Parker always saw his art as an empty handed art in America, that properly learned could insert weapons seamlessly. But he got caught up in the atmosphere and pressure of "Kenpo Karate" and many requests for weapons competition material.

Upon further reflection, he decided to stick to his philosophy, and that the material was too dangerous in the wrong hands. He related a story to me of a white belt who had learned "Dance Of Death" in its full version that included the extension in the beginning. He told me how this kid had done the technique and had got arrested for hurting someone seriously by stomping and kicking them while they were down. The Kid was locked up, and Parker was devastated. This caused him to emphasize that the creed says, "life or death, right or wrong," and that ultimately we all have to be responsible for our own actions. The "Speak With A Club" was shelved for the same reasons as "Speak With A Knife." Neither will ever see the light of day, ever.

"Everyday Gestures That Can Save Your Life" became a mainstay in many of his lectures to demonstrate self defense moves that were already ingrained in our synaptic pathways. It was partially finished but never put in a coherent form suitable for publication. "Answers To Multiple Attacks On The Street" is a another partial project Mr. Parker didn't have time to complete. The forward contained some significant writing by Dennis Conatser.

He started the production of the "Instructional Video Series" with his son, Ed Parker Jr. I was an integral part of the think tank behind this project, with significant input. I named the series, my voice was utilized in announcing (I had recorded the scripts for the first ten), my two students (Tommy Chavies, and Curtis Faust) were the primary demonstrators on the tape, and I also appeared briefly executing a couple of technical movements, and supplied the "audio for BAM"s for some that didn't know how to do them.

But the interesting thing about the entire project was how Mr. Parker began. He told his son one day, "We're going to do a video series, so get ready." Edmund thought, like most of the projects, he would be doing graphics and be allowed to use his great artistic talent, so was excited about the project.

Ed Parker went out and purchased all of the equipment for the project. Camera's. lights, recording decks, switchers, computers, software, etc. Ed Jr. came in to us sitting there waiting for him standing in the middle of all these big boxes. Parker said, "Here you go son. I bought you everything you need. Ron and I are going to lunch." and we left. We went and sat in one of Parker's favorite coffee shop family restaurants in the area, had a leisurely lunch, and than sat and talked about stuff for awhile.

When we went back to the house, Edmund was in the middle of the living room floor with all of the equipment spread out with a stack of instruction manuals. Parker walked in, clapped his hands together and said, "Are we ready to get started?" The look on Edmund's face was priceless. But it was typical of how Parker did things. When he got an idea and charged ahead, he expected those around him to keep up. If you didn't, he left you. Fortunately, Edmund could and did keep up.

The remarkable thing was that this project finished the first two videos at all. (Completed after Mr. Parker's death) Edmund did everything except get in front of the camera. Having no experience with this type of project he literally performed every function to get it done. He taught himself how to use the equipment, lighting, editing, and even built the set from scratch. The video was shot in Edmund's garage with the camera actually sitting outside shooting indoors with the door up to get the correct focal length. But the most remarkable thing to me was watching Edmund teaching himself computer animation. All of the computer graphics and animation, (including the rendition of the Universal Sphere) Edmund taught himself to do while we worked on the project. Truly an amazingly smart and talented man. I also have to give him the credit for acquiring and teaching me to use my first computer.

The Accumulative Journals changed often over the years, and were polished after Parker's death by Edmund, along with the publication of the Encyclopedia.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (07-19-2007),DavidCC (07-19-2007),HKphooey (07-18-2007),Kenpodoc (07-19-2007),profesormental (07-19-2007),Takai (07-19-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links