Ed Parker Sr. Memories
My fathers notes... part 1

Here are some notes my father had that I found after we published "the Encyclopedia of Kenpo" and the "Zen of Kenpo". If I found them prior to publishing the book I would have included them.

”THE ZEN OF KENPO
- MEANINGFUL QUOTES by Ed Parker•

Tenacity is that driving force which if you faithfully employ can help you to surpass yourself.

Tenacity is that driving force which students anchor their faith to surpass themselves.
”•”•”•Isolation invariably leads to formulation.
Being authentic doesn't make it right (good).
Doing things diligently often leads to doing things fervently, which in turn leads to doing things permanently.
To desire something is not the same as making an effort to acquire it.
A block becomes a strike when injury occurs.
A hop is no more than the same foot jumping from one spot to another.
Perseverance is a key ingredient that can cause a student to surpass what he feels to be his limits.
The eyes of an opponent are to be viewed as a point of referenceœ and not fixed as the œœonly point of focusœ.
Don't get caught up in the mystical, but the practical.
Avoid unreality and strive for simplicity.
Never show one a preview if he in fact can be part of the main show.
Generalize then specialize.
Don't complicate, sophisticate.
While the ultimate in proficiency comes from simplicity and repetition, the use of logic is what makes learning functional and practical.
Even if a smaller individual can develop equal power he is certainly not capable of withstanding equal punishment.
To "compound" your technique without a solid foundation is to "confound" your art.
Let pain become part of your opponent's environment (anatomy?).
Those who criticize are often covering up their own incompetence.
Teach me how to think, but not what to think.

Ed Parker Sr. Memories
Archived with the permission of Ed Parker Jr.
Ed Parker Sr. was the founder of the art known today as American Kenpo.
In these files, Ed Parker Jr. shares his fathers unpublished notes and other memories with us.