Thread: Basic Blocks: What's The Magic Angle?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Basic Blocks: What's The Magic Angle?

Well? What's the magic angle and why? It's okay to cheat and review your material to see what Chuck says about it.

Why do you think it's so much different that what you'd see in TKD?
    Advantages?
    Disadvantages?
    Application, other questions, comments, ect, ect, ect.....
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Default Re: Basic Blocks: What's The Magic Angle?

The magic angle would actually be magic circles, but you have a strongest direction from your points of reference given you are anchoring your elbow properly and relaxing the shoulder, et cetera.
    Sean

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 5,604 Posts

The human body has specific angles from which it derives its mechanical structure of maximum effectiveness. When it comes to the subject of blocking, there are multiple angles that enter the anatomical geometrical equation. The position and type of stance, relative to the specific block, as well as the angular relationship of the upper arm relative to the lower arm are all factors, along with the Index Process of execution that supports the action by creating anatomical congruency in the final position. Although the angle does not always appear in the same, action, or place with the same function, it is present in all blocking of maximum anatomical function.

45-degrees.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (10-06-2007)

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The human body has specific angles from which it derives its mechanical structure of maximum effectiveness. When it comes to the subject of blocking, there are multiple angles that enter the anatomical geometrical equation. The position and type of stance, relative to the specific block, as well as the angular relationship of the upper arm relative to the lower arm are all factors, along with the Index Process of execution that supports the action by creating anatomical congruency in the final position. Although the angle does not always appear in the same, action, or place with the same function, it is present in all blocking of maximum anatomical function.

45-degrees.
    What the good Doc said!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

It's good to see that good Kenpo is good Kenpo regardless of the alphabet soup we put in front of or behind it.

All hail 45 degrees! No matter which direction it comes from.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    It's good to see that good Kenpo is good Kenpo regardless of the alphabet soup we put in front of or behind it.

All hail 45 degrees! No matter which direction it comes from.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Well not so much "good kenpo," as good anatomy. Styles have preferences for execution, but those stylistic preferences should be over-ridden by anatomical mandates of maximum efficiency. The reason I preferenced the answer is because the angle is not always obvious, but is ever present. Questions abound such as:

"If the stance changes relative to the action, does that not alter the angle of execution?" or

"Does weight distribution play a part in the assignment of the block and therefore the angle?" But most importantly

"You cannot view the degree question from the simplicity of "External Angle of Execution." Sometimes the angles are external body parts and degree angles relative to each other, or not externally referenced but internally."

These angles and methods are easily demonstrable. A super nice Kenpo guy came through a couple days ago, and I shared the base execution of an inward block with him, as I wrapped both arms around his block, "figure four" style, and attempted to collapse his block with my entire body weight and strength. He prevailed with a minimum of effort. Why? Because not only his angle was correct but, the method and manner of execution backed it up by creating internal and externall referenced degree angles that optimized the human body mandates for the action.

He frequents this forum. Perhaps when he returns to his normal routine, he'll share the experience here.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (10-08-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    These angles and methods are easily demonstrable. A super nice Kenpo guy came through a couple days ago, and I shared the base execution of an inward block with him, as I wrapped both arms around his block, "figure four" style, and attempted to collapse his block with my entire body weight and strength. He prevailed with a minimum of effort. Why? Because not only his angle was correct but, the method and manner of execution backed it up by creating internal and externall referenced degree angles that optimized the human body mandates for the action.
    i like that idea.. i need to try the whole figure 4 position thing... Iv done the same thing but with someone pushing/leaning against the upper forearm.. trying to budge, and its pretty nice.. but move one foot out of alignment, or turn forward and the whole thing collapses.

Homework for everyone.. lets count all the 45 degree angles in a good neutral bow with an inward block. lol
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    i like that idea.. i need to try the whole figure 4 position thing... Iv done the same thing but with someone pushing/leaning against the upper forearm.. trying to budge, and its pretty nice.. but move one foot out of alignment, or turn forward and the whole thing collapses.

Homework for everyone.. lets count all the 45 degree angles in a good neutral bow with an inward block. lol
    Good idea sir.

www.MSUACF.com

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links