Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lunge stance?

Thanks

Default Lunge stance?

just checking out this forum.. i see the term lunge stance alot.. can someone please explain what that is to me? any pictures, video clips. applications, etc?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Lunge stance?

Assume a forward bow. Now, take the heel of your rear leg and lift it shifing your weight to the ball of the foot at the same time relaxing the leg allowing it to bend at the knee. You should feel more "mobile." It's not quite a close kneel, but it's not a forward bow either. Hope that helps.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Assume a forward bow. Now, take the heel of your rear leg and lift it shifing your weight to the ball of the foot at the same time relaxing the leg allowing it to bend at the knee. You should feel more "mobile." It's not quite a close kneel, but it's not a forward bow either. Hope that helps.
    So your hips are square to the front?

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post
    So your hips are square to the front?

Lamont
    Pretty much. Just as with a forward bow this stance is a transition and not meant to be "held" for any prolonged period of time. A good example of transitioning from a neutral bow to a lunge stance is in the execution of a reverse punch. Very simular to what you'd see a boxer do. 8 time world champion and one of the kenpoist featured in "The Journey" Steve "Sanders" Mohammed was famous for effectively using this stance.

Proponents of the stance hold that though what you lose in stability is negligable, and it is worth it because you gain a little more penetration on your strike and gain more mobility.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Proponents of the stance hold that though what you lose in stability is negligable, and it is worth it because you gain a little more penetration on your strike and gain more mobility.
    No complaints from me, apparently I use it all the time. What do you call the stance that is like the neutral bow, but your heel is up?

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (09-04-2007)

Thanks

OHH! iv been refering to those as a modified forward/reverse/neutral bow.. you dont have "as much" stability, but you have far better mobility) try manuvering to the side with your heel locked down! we do those alot at my school.. but sometimes there's situations you NEED to have a good forward/reverse/neutral.. like in a buckle.. or for structure.

thankyou very much!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (09-04-2007)

Thanks

No complaints from me, apparently I use it all the time. What do you call the stance that is like the neutral bow, but your heel is up?

Lamont
    ....a neutral bow. LOL. We actually teach to slightly stay on the balls of the feet. Though at first glance it may appear that we are "flat footed" we are not. Our school focuses on mobility and not staying still. Stick and move, stick and move. It also allows for more "explosiveness" from your foot maneuvers. IMHO.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Cool Re: Lunge stance?

What do you call the stance that is like the neutral bow, but your heel is up?

Lamont
    wide kneel

Thanks

The only time I heard a reference to lunge was when I took fencing.
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu View Post
    The only time I heard a reference to lunge was when I took fencing.
    Was the footwork similar?

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

What we term as a lunge stance is the position you are in at the very end of the reverse punch. Calling it a stance is slightly incorrect, though, because you do not stay in it at all. If one were to take a snapshot at that moment, that is what you would have.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

Thanks

Good point. I think that most "stances", with the exception of the neutral bow, are primaril transitional in nature and not meant to be "held" for any prolonged period of time.

Depending on the maneuver being executed, these "transitional stances" also serve to aid in the delivery of those maneuvers. For instance, when executing a reverse punch the lunge stance aids you by giving you additional penetration and providing tourque.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Good point. I think that most "stances", with the exception of the neutral bow, are primaril transitional in nature and not meant to be "held" for any prolonged period of time.

Depending on the maneuver being executed, these "transitional stances" also serve to aid in the delivery of those maneuvers. For instance, when executing a reverse punch the lunge stance aids you by giving you additional penetration and providing tourque.
    The way we do it, the lunge provides the penetration thru forward motion, but the torque comes from the hip rotation.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Hmmm... I'm familiar with the stance and it's use. We've just always called it a modified close-kneel.

The one thing that throws me off about calling this transitional stance a "Lunge Stance" is that I picture someone bending slightly forward at the waist when they are "lunging". In Kenpo we're supposed to keep our posture erect aren't we?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Lear View Post
    Hmmm... I'm familiar with the stance and it's use. We've just always called it a modified close-kneel.

The one thing that throws me off about calling this transitional stance a "Lunge Stance" is that I picture someone bending slightly forward at the waist when they are "lunging". In Kenpo we're supposed to keep our posture erect aren't we?
    I used to call it that. But "lunge" is quicker.

There was another thread discussing this, and most people envisioned the forward lean because they think of the fencers' lunge. As I understand it, you do keep your back straight, posture upright as you execute this stance. And it is very transitional, very quick- one of its strengths.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Lear View Post

The lunge stance as taught by the IKCA does not lean forward. The shoulders square and are centered above the hips.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    The lunge stance as taught by the IKCA does not lean forward. The shoulders square and are centered above the hips.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Same here. As a matter of fact, at the end, there is a slight forward push with the rear hip to help drive it through.
    Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodave View Post
    Same here. As a matter of fact, at the end, there is a slight forward push with the rear hip to help drive it through.
    I wonder if that's where the extra penetration comes from?

Thanks

Combination of the rear hip push, the torque from the hips turning, and the additional forward momentum derived from utilizing the lunge stance vs. the forward bow all contribute to the added penetration, plus the correct fist configuration.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Just one more little side note about the lunge stance, is that it can also be a strike. For those of you who know it or have seen it picture the last knee strike in Leaping Tiger. Although I have found the knee bend is a bit deeper than 45 degrees when with a partner, that part of technique as explained to me is basically a lunge stance.

Perhaps to get rid of the vision of a leaning lunge stance, perhaps picture someone doing lunges in the gym. Back is straight, head is up, feet are facing 12 o clock, front knee is over lead foot, rear leg is bent at 45 degress, rear heal pointing up. Only real difference is in our case our hands are either up, or doing something, where in the gym they would be holding weights or resting on the hips.
    Don't look for answers beyond your realm of understanding for more often than not, many answers are before you that have been overlooked. - 1st Brown Belt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links