Thread: Thrusting Release

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Thrusting Release

Another technique from the Orange Belt Curriculum.

Thrusting Release (escape from a front bear hug, arms pinned)
    • Execute a front head butt to attacker’s nose/cheek
    • Execute a right front knee to attacker’s groin
    • Drop back into a left forward lunge stance simultaneously executing double palm heel strikes to attacker’s floating ribs
    • Execute a right ball kick to attacker’s groin
    * Key Principles: back up mass, marriage of gravity, opposing force, anatomical positioning
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Default Re: Thrusting Release

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    • Execute a front head butt to attacker’s nose/cheek
    • Execute a right front knee to attacker’s groin
    • Drop back into a left forward lunge stance simultaneously executing double palm heel strikes to attacker’s floating ribs
    • Execute a right ball kick to attacker’s groin
    Sorry, CC, but I gotta ask...

Wouldn't the headbut and front knee strike be best done simultaneosly, compacting the body mass and hitting him with two strikes at once, each eliciting a different natural reaction (synaptic confusion)? Or, do you just break it down to learn and combine the strikes later?

In step three, it seems to me that a good forward bow would do better here than the lunge. Better structure and use of opposing forces.

And last, the kick- you've already kneed him in the groin. Why not a good thrusting heel to the pubic synthesis, or thrusting ball kick to the bladder?

C'mon! I can't agree with you all the time here! They'll think I'm getting a commission, or something else nefariouse!

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

Wouldn't the headbut and front knee strike be best done simultaneosly, compacting the body mass and hitting him with two strikes at once, each eliciting a different natural reaction (synaptic confusion)?

This is exactly how I teach Thrusting Release, well almost... I like to hit with the knee about a quarter beat before the head butt. Range wise the knee will be the first to hit, this brings his head more into the headbutt. (This is a slight variation of my own, not the way the technique is taught in the curiculum) It's also important to teach a proper headbutt and the concept of fitting the weapon to the target.

In step three, it seems to me that a good forward bow would do better here than the lunge. Better structure and use of opposing forces.

Actually this is one of those places where there may be a slight trade off, but for a reason. Body fusion is important here as striking the rib cage should happen when the right hits the ground to the rear. I shoot my hands point of origin from hanging at my side up 45 degrees into the floating ribs. This moves the victim up and to the rear. It should be stressed that there is a 'springboard' type movement where the right heel will flex toward the ground but not plant into a full forward bow. Because we are moving back forward again immediately with the kick we do not root. This buys you almost a full beat in timing.

And last, the kick- you've already kneed him in the groin. Why not a good thrusting heel to the pubic synthesis, or thrusting ball kick to the bladder?

The final base move is a thrust kick to the solar plexus, with the obvious option of changing the target if necessary. This is part of the 'thrusting' in Thrusting Release.

Just another voice in the widerness.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Thanks

...uh...what Bill said. LOL. I wish I had his way with words.

As we all know, technical 'breakdowns' are just that. In the end, you really want the tech to flow. When I execute the tech 'street-speed' my knee is definately not to far behind the headbutt. To the observer, it would probably appear to happen almost simultaneously.

As for the lunge, the "springboard effect" as Bill put it is what I'm after. It's like loading a slingshot. The tension you build helps to project the kick adding force to it not to mention speeding up the execution of the kick.

As for striking the groin a second time....I guess I'm just mean. LOL. Considering their anatomical position would probably dictate where the last kick goes though. I've seen some students get nailed pretty good in the ribs bend over putting their head at waist level making that a decent target as well.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    As for striking the groin a second time....I guess I'm just mean. LOL. Considering their anatomical position would probably dictate where the last kick goes though. I've seen some students get nailed pretty good in the ribs bend over putting their head at waist level making that a decent target as well.
    Are you doing a snap kick or a thrust kick here? What you're talking about sounds like a snap kick, but if you've done your job with the anvil (oops, old roots showing through, I mean butterfly palms! ), the attacker will be a little out of range for a snap kick. A thrust kick is definitely the way to go at the end of the technique--it just adds injury to injury, and gives you a little more distance to ensure that you have stopped the threat.

Just my .02...

Salute

"He who hesitates...meditates in the horizontal position!"
    - Mr. Edmund K. Parker Sr.

You should follow me on twitter here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    This is exactly how I teach Thrusting Release, well almost... I like to hit with the knee about a quarter beat before the head butt. Range wise the knee will be the first to hit, this brings his head more into the headbutt.

Makes sense to me.

Actually this is one of those places where there may be a slight trade off, but for a reason. Body fusion is important here as striking the rib cage should happen when the right hits the ground to the rear. I shoot my hands point of origin from hanging at my side up 45 degrees into the floating ribs. This moves the victim up and to the rear. It should be stressed that there is a 'springboard' type movement where the right heel will flex toward the ground but not plant into a full forward bow. Because we are moving back forward again immediately with the kick we do not root. This buys you almost a full beat in timing.

Hmmm..., I'll have to try that. Seems like you wouldn't want to rush it here. Give him time to move back so that kick can shoot out with good extension and force. Also, you'd want to make sure you have adequate power to move him. I'm not that powerfully built, and so tend to think in terms of structure and solid application of power principles.

Another thing about "body fusion," as you head butt and knee him, your hands would start to turn outward and the pull upward into position to deliver the double heel palm would occur. That compacting of the mass would aid this, as well as facilitating the delivery without interupting the motion. Going then to a full forward bow would maximize expansion and take full advantage of the loading effect of your compaction.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm telling you how to do your technique- I'm sure you know more about it than me. I'm just curiouse, having tried this on a resisting partner before, and this is what I came up with.

[/quote]The final base move is a thrust kick to the solar plexus, with the obvious option of changing the target if necessary. This is part of the 'thrusting' in Thrusting Release.[/quote]
    Again, makes sense.

Just another voice in the widerness.
    So, I'm not crazy? There really is a voice? Man, that's a relief!

Another question- have you tried this with different variations of the attack? Things like he picks you up or slings you sideways? In most cases, it works as written except for the forward bow/lunge. I generally had to kick his knee instead of hitting the stance. In the air, kick his knee after the knee to the groin and simultaneously with the heel palms. Slung sideways, plant the foot in the direction he slings you, then kick his far knee. From there, graft or modify as needed. How do you handle these variables?

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thesensei View Post
    Are you doing a snap kick or a thrust kick here? What you're talking about sounds like a snap kick, but if you've done your job with the anvil (oops, old roots showing through, I mean butterfly palms! ), the attacker will be a little out of range for a snap kick. A thrust kick is definitely the way to go at the end of the technique--it just adds injury to injury, and gives you a little more distance to ensure that you have stopped the threat.

Just my .02...

Salute
    It's a thrust kick.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

[quote]Another thing about "body fusion," as you head butt and knee him, your hands would start to turn outward and the pull upward into position to deliver the double heel palm would occur. That compacting of the mass would aid this, as well as facilitating the delivery without interupting the motion. Going then to a full forward bow would maximize expansion and take full advantage of the loading effect of your compaction.[/quote]

We agree to a point. I would contend that any "maximization" of your expansion that is lost in a proper lunge/springboard movement vs. the full forward bow is negligible. In fact going into a full forwad bow would take away from maximizing the "loading effect" of your front thrisut kick. Going into a full forward bow would stick the rear heel and you must unstick it to move forward again. As i originally stated there is a bit of a tradeoff, I'm willing to live with it.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links