Thread: Video or School?

Thanks

Default Video or School?

Just curiouse- who does the IKCA video course, and who attends a school? How does it work for you?

Do any of you use the IKCA course to suppliment other arts? Or, maybe as a base to add other arts onto?

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Video or School?

I currently study Okinawan karate, both Uechi-ryu and Goju-ryu. I also have the IKCA videos along with some volumes of Larry Tatum as well as the Kevin Lampkin manuals and the Ed Parker Infinite Insights books. As a karate-ka, I believe the classical karate systems are complete in of themselves, but I find the learning curve with them daunting at times. In Okinawan karate, you are not given the principles of the art outright like Mr. Parker does in his books for his kenpo. The past masters simply weren't interested in imparting their 'secrets' on paper, preferring to pass it from master to student in the dojo. Of course, this becomes a problem when learning is inevitably altered or omitted down the line and knowledge can be 'lost'.

Much of what Mr. Parker's kenpo is directly applicable to Okinawan karate. That's not too surprising to me, since in the end we all have the same two feet and two hands. I plan to use the various kenpo media I have to help me unlock the classical systems I study. It's sort of like watching someone work an example math problem on the chalkboard... the problem may not be exactly the same with differing numbers, yet in the end you do solve the equation the same way, do you not?

Kenpo, karate, aikido, etc. They're really the same studies in motion, distance, and power. The only difference in the styles is in how you wish to express those self-same variables.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I help instruct in a classic "brick & mortar" type school. I gained my current rank studying American Kenpo. After meeting Vic at a seminar I ordered the DVD's and joined up. I've reviewed up to "blue" and am presently awaiting the results of my "purple" certification. We have been actively teaching the IKCA curriculum to the bulk of our students though and they too have been testing via video because niether I nor my instructor are certified IKCA instructors as of yet.

*We only have two active students above the rank of orange so the transition was not that difficult. We gave them the option to choose and they wanted to finish the old curriculum out to black. Being that they're both 1st browns it's not that big a deal as I still keep up with what I learned previously. I anticipated this might be asked so I answered in advance. LOL.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I have just started with the IKCA tapes and think that they are good. I do not go to a school but my previous experiance in Shotokan, BJJ, Kosho Kenpo has helped with the distance learning. For the people doing the distance thing, how long does it take to get feed back from your tests?

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I'm doing IKCA through the videos. But I came in as a Kenpo blackbelt, so it's very similar!

"He who hesitates...meditates in the horizontal position!"
    - Mr. Edmund K. Parker Sr.

You should follow me on twitter here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

After 28 years in the arts (started in Kenpo, then primarily Hapkido) I searched for a qualified EPAK instructor in the area and didn't find any so I became a video student of the IKCA. I've since started teaching the system so my students have the beneft of face-to-face instruction. Both ways have worked well.

Bill Parsons
    Triange Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I am a video student currently working on the Blue belt material. I studied American Kenpo many years ago and in recent years I've studied other arts such as Jujitsu, Hapkido, Escrima and other variations of Kenpo. I have also investigated several different video training programs so I have some experience to draw my opinions from. I have viewed some outstanding American Kenpo tapes with excellent production quality, but without a doubt the IKCA program is miles above the others. Notice I did not say the videos are better. That's because you can't fully appreciate IKCA Kenpo just by watching the videos. You have to experience the entire distance learning program. At first I was skeptical that it could be as good as a live instructor but I am now a convert. But you won't get all of the material unless you go through the entire video testing program, or find an IKCA certified instructor. Obviously, video training is not for everyone. The student must be very self-motivated because no one is going to badger you or guilt you into training. And, of course, you need a training partner. But if you can discipline yourself to stick to a training schedule, you'll be hard pressed to find a better program either in distance training or a traditional school.

For H.K.E., my experience is that the test comes back within about two weeks. That's also when you recieve the supplemental materials for that level and your taped private lesson.

Thanks

2-3 weeks has been my experience thus far.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

First Post!

I have been training at the Triangle Kenpo Institute under Sifu Bill Parsons for a little over a year now. I'm very blessed to have access to face-to-face instruction from a very gifted teacher and great friend.

I hold a 2nd dan in Taekwondo and I am currently a white belt in IKCA Kenpo. I also dabble in BJJ and Kali/Escrima.

My biggest reason for starting to supplement my Taekwondo training with Kenpo was the attitude with which Mr. Parsons presented Kenpo to me. As another martial art that has benefits and concepts that would help me improve as a martial artist. He never felt the need to degrade my prior training or take every opportunity to boast about Kenpo's superiority. He merely points out the reasons behind everything allowing me to make my own conclusions and observations.

Jeff Jones

Thanks

Welcome Jeff! All of our training adds to what we know making us better. It's all about improvement along the journey, brother.

You've got a great instructor, BTW. I've trained with Bill a few times and always came away with more insight than before.

Glad you made it to the board, how about posting a little about your training history under "meet & greet!"

Thanks

Video student here under the Sullivan/Le Roux -> Brooksher lineage, supplemented with private lessons from GM Vic. I have no complaints about the video testing procedures, and my own students have begun the process of video testing as well, both for certification purposes as well as to expose them to as many points of view on how to do things as I can.

Thanks

Video here, too, although I came to kenpo with a 3rd degree BB in Goju ryu and a 1st in TKD. I was skeptical at first about the video learning system, but now that I'm getting ready to send in my green belt test, I find that I really like the material and am sold on the teaching and testing method, too.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

It looks to me like a person may learn techniques forms and etc from video but a person could not learn to be a martial artist without significant time in a classroom environment.

So a person who alreayd has a lot of MA training could probably learn a lot from video, but a person with little or no personal training would not get very far.

Is that about right?

Thanks

That is the classic argument against video learning. I disagree with it as a wholly encompassing point of view. There are cases that both prove and disprove that argument. I choose to evaluate each individual when it comes to figuring out what would work best for them, because everyone learns differently.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I earned my Black Belt at an IKCA school and had the pleasure of meeting Mr. LeRoux a few times when he came to visit, even had the pleasure of him working with us in our advanced class. I was also an assistant instructor then worked my way into an instrutor at the school, but not a certified instructor with the IKCA. I have since left the school for personal reasons (nothing to do with the IKCA, the instructor, or my health all of which are great but rather the atmosphere of the school changed and I just didn't want to get in the way of my instructors success) but continue to practice at home and work out with some other ex students from time to time and now working on some stuff with my brother.

I have met some video students and they were pretty good, but for me it would not work. I like to have a few different size partners to beat on...and get beaten by. One thing I noticed with some of the video students that I met is that there was sometimes only 2 or maybe 3 guys that worked out together all the time. It's hard to learn to adapt to differnet sizes, shapes, and styles of movement. This is not the case with all the guys, but I know it is an issue for some.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links