Thread: This is it...

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Exclamation This is it...

...and I'm proud to say I was the first poster in this historical forum...

The IKCA is a great organization, and I'm very happy to be a part of it. Vic is always a big help whenever I have opportunity to speak to him, and the IKCA family is a great credit to Kenpo. I love the thought patterns behind the IKCA. Before I knew about the organization, I was working to streamline my own curriculum that I had come up through, then I discovered the IKCA, and I decided not to reinvent the wheel! It has proven to be a great help in my own instructing, and allows me more leeway to be flexible with my students, and directing them in the focus that they're interested in.

Thanks, Bob, for creating the forum. KenpoTalk is the best, and it gets better all the time.

Well, lets get with it, and make it as good as it can be!

Full salute to all.

"He who hesitates...meditates in the horizontal position!"
    - Mr. Edmund K. Parker Sr.

You should follow me on twitter here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: This is it...

Quote Originally Posted by thesensei View Post
    ...and I'm proud to say I was the first poster in this historical forum...

The IKCA is a great organization, and I'm very happy to be a part of it. Vic is always a big help whenever I have opportunity to speak to him, and the IKCA family is a great credit to Kenpo. I love the thought patterns behind the IKCA. Before I knew about the organization, I was working to streamline my own curriculum that I had come up through, then I discovered the IKCA, and I decided not to reinvent the wheel! It has proven to be a great help in my own instructing, and allows me more leeway to be flexible with my students, and directing them in the focus that they're interested in.

Thanks, Bob, for creating the forum. KenpoTalk is the best, and it gets better all the time.

Well, lets get with it, and make it as good as it can be!

Full salute to all.
    That post could have easily been made by myself! You echo pretty much the same thoughts I and my sifu had and how we feel about the IKCA!

Thanks for the section Bob and thanks for brining it up in the first place Rob!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 3,146 Times in 1,488 Posts

Could you guys give some background info about this org. for those of us who aren't in the know? thx!
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    Could you guys give some background info about this org. for those of us who aren't in the know? thx!
    Wow....I don't know if I'm really qualified but I'll do my best. You can also reference their website for plenty of Kenpo history. http://www.karateconnection.com/

The IKCA was founded by Chuck Sullivan and Vic LeRoux. Initially, the IKCA was known for it's superb video correspondance courses offered to those who, for whatever reason, could not attend the classic "brick and mortar" school. They hold at least 4 major seminars all over the U.S. annually to allow for students to come and share in the fellowship of the arts and get to actually meet the instructors, like Vic LeRoux and Jerry Brookshire, that grade the video tests and provide feedback.

The video program is successful, but there are also now other "brick and mortar" schools teaching the curriculum as well. The system contains 55 base techniques. The idea, often reffered to as "The Theory of 55", is that you teach a basic 'template' to deal with a specific attack stressing the principles and concepts behind it, then guide the student through "what ifs" and allow them to use concepts like 'borrowing', 'grafting', and the 'equation formula' to formulate their responses to the changing variables of the attack. So, in essence 55 techniques can become 555 and are truely "tailored" to the individual.

As you progress through the ranks, these 55 base techniques become what is known as the "Master Form." So, as you progress in learning the techniques...your form/kata also progresses along with you so that by the time you test for black you are essentially performing every base technique in the system within the "Master Form".

Many kenpoist, like myself, have joined the IKCA because we like the efficiency of the system. It allows for flexibility and promotes training with other styles in order for the individual to continue to grow and explore their 'art.' At the major seminars, IKCA member black belts share what they have learned with the rest of us; whether their forte may now be grappling, knife fighting, gun disarms, whatever....this wealth of info is shared with the whole! To me, that's an awesome benefit.

There is much more to the IKCA and hopefully now that we have this forum everyone can learn more about it. It is "kenpo". Chuck Sullivan was with Ed Parker way back in the beginning. A lot of the black and white footage you see of SGM Parker usually has SGM Sullivan in it as well (two-man set comes to mind) and if you don't see Chuck Sullivan it's probably because he was filming it! The principles taught are the same. Some techniques are the same as EPAK (Delayed Sword for example) and there are different techniques but they share similarities (they are based on the same principles after all!)

Anyway, hopefully this answers some of your questions. As time goes by and people (hopefully) post here, the community can begin to learn and understand more about the IKCA and it's philosophies and approach to kenpo.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 3,146 Times in 1,488 Posts

Yes, thank you. I realize I am aware of Mr. Sullivan's program, but I didn't recognize it by the initials. Don't know much about it, but I certainly recognize the names and I understand he has taken a different approach to kenpo. Thanks!
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

Thanks

Good show!

Congrats to the IKCA folk, and thanks to Bob for putting this up!

CC, reckon you and some of the global mods could move some of the IKCA tech threads from your AKKO slot up to here? Might generate some more discussion, as well as sort of cleaning up the forum- you know, better organization and the like.

Look forward to some different insights from the IKCA crowd!

Dan C.
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Question Re: This is it...

The "master form" that was mentioned. Is this solely derived from the 55 base teks? Is this the only form taught in the IKCA system?
    1stJohn1:9

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

Though there is a short blocking "form" done at the orange belt level, the sole true form is the Master Form. It is learned in stages, consists soley of the techniques (no isolations) and wraps up at 1st degree black to include all 55 techniques.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Question Re: This is it...

How does the master form, compare to the EPAK versions of the short, and long katas? Are they comparable?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kenpochrstn View Post
    How does the master form, compare to the EPAK versions of the short, and long katas? Are they comparable?

I suggest you re-read the posts in this thread and you will have the answer to your question.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links