Thread: Beheading the Dragon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Beheading the Dragon

..because Camey like the name!

Sorry I'm late posting this but I've been doing the "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" bit since closing on my house! LOL

This is an Orange Belt Technique.

Defense: Left Step Through Punch

1) Drop back into a right neutral bow simultaneously executing a right inward block
    2) Step drag forward assuming a forward lunge stance in order to apply a left knee check to attackers left leg while executing a right back knuckle strike to the attackers ribs. Apply a left "waitor" check to attackers left arm
    3) Shift into a reverse lunge stance switching the knee check to your right knee (can be used to buckle attackers leg) simultaneously executing a right sword hand strike to the attackers cervical area (neck.)

The knee checks are very effective at cancelling height, width, and depth zones and an advanced student can apply them in a more "destructive" manner as actual strikes!

Anyway....discuss away!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Beheading the Dragon

pooor dragon.

thanks for thinking of me :P
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis View Post
    pooor dragon.

thanks for thinking of me :P
    Yeah.... the dragon kind of ends up on the short end of the stick, eh? LOL
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

1) Drop back into a right neutral bow w/ uting a right inward block
    2) Step drag forward into a forward lunge stance, left knee checking attackers left leg while executing a right back knuckle strike to his ribs and a left "waitor" check to his left arm
    3) Pivot into a reverse lunge stance switching the knee check to your right knee, which should buckle attackers leg, and simultaneously executing a right sword hand strike to the attackers neck.

The knee checks are very effective at cancelling height, width, and depth and an advanced student can apply them in a more "destructive" manner as actual strikes!
    This is one I tried and didn't like much. I had trouble with tha last handsword to the back of his neck. Then I had my dummy attack with force and I slamed those knee checks home! The first check with the left knee and the waiters parry really limmited his options to move. The second knee check, with the right, droped his height and caused him to squat, presenting a perfect target for the handsword. What my dummy gave me when applied with controled force worked! The checks are done a lot like, and with a lot the same results on his base as thundering hammers. 'nuther good one.

Dan C

Thanks

The knee checks can be a devistating weapon once you can execute more advanced foot maneuvers. I too had difficulty with this technique when I first learned it. It's probably the most difficult at this belt level IMHO. Once I learned to apply the second knee check more like a buckle I discovered the attackers neck (target for the handsword) was more readily accessable.

Try applying the technique to the inside of a punch instead of to the outside. I really like this technique working the inside. My favored targets are the temple for the back knuckle and collar bone for the handsword (though sometimes I'll target the bridge of the nose depending on position.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Try applying the technique to the inside of a punch instead of to the outside. I really like this technique working the inside. My favored targets are the temple for the back knuckle and collar bone for the handsword (though sometimes I'll target the bridge of the nose depending on position.)
    That sounds interesting. Like this, you'd reverse the order of the knee checks- right first, then left- correct?

Dan C

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    That sounds interesting. Like this, you'd reverse the order of the knee checks- right first, then left- correct?

Dan C
    Quite. Right, left, then right again. You can also experiment with changing the weapons used as well as inserting, prefixing, suffixing....basically just have a ball with the equation formula.

Thanks

Beheading the Dragon

1) Drop back into a right neutral bow w/ using a right inward block

When doing the block, do you bring the left hand to a high check position in order to ready it for the waiters parry? This also seems to add power to the block, which should connect just behind his elbow and drive his arm inward, canceling width and opening the ribs up for the back knuckle.

2) Step drag forward into a forward lunge stance, left knee checking attackers left leg while executing a right back knuckle strike to his ribs and a left "waitor" check to his left arm

The waiters parry, as I see it, is mostly a sensitivity move. It should contact, but should not have to apply force unless he makes a move, or if your block did not quite position him so the ribs are exposed well. You read his intent, while giving away little or none of your own.

I let the back knuckle flow through to a high chamber, and the motion is in harmony with the step drag in to a right forward lunge. The lunge should check his depth, but could also buckle, hyperextend, or possibly break, depending on relative position, his posture and your intent

3) Pivot into a reverse lunge stance switching the knee check to your right knee, which should buckle attackers leg, and simultaneously executing a right sword hand strike to the attackers neck.

This last lunge/knee check will drop his height while still preventing him from moving in width or depth. I keep my left in a high check position, but not the waiters check. The handswor and his posture are a perfect fit if you get those knee checks in good.
    Discussion?

Dan C

edited out the annoying color scheme- gave me a headache !
    Last edited by thedan; 10-08-2006 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    Beheading the Dragon

1) Drop back into a right neutral bow w/ using a right inward block

When doing the block, do you bring the left hand to a high check position in order to ready it for the waiters parry? This also seems to add power to the block, which should connect just behind his elbow and drive his arm inward, canceling width and opening the ribs up for the back knuckle.
    Yes, I do. I also advise my students to target from the elbow back with the inward block. This maneuver can also hyper extend the attackers arm causing even more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    [2) Step drag forward into a forward lunge stance, left knee checking attackers left leg while executing a right back knuckle strike to his ribs and a left "waitor" check to his left arm

The waiters parry, as I see it, is mostly a sensitivity move. It should contact, but should not have to apply force unless he makes a move, or if your block did not quite position him so the ribs are exposed well. You read his intent, while giving away little or none of your own.

I let the back knuckle flow through to a high chamber, and the motion is in harmony with the step drag in to a right forward lunge. The lunge should check his depth, but could also buckle, hyperextend, or possibly break, depending on relative position, his posture and your intent

I agree that the waiters parry is intended as a check against any additional action. Interesting points concerning the lunge stance. I think you could definately tear up an attackers ACL if executed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by thedan

This last lunge/knee check will drop his height while still preventing him from moving in width or depth. I keep my left in a high check position, but not the waiters check. The handswor and his posture are a perfect fit if you get those knee checks in good.
    Discussion?

Dan C

edited out the annoying color scheme- gave me a headache !
    I "Flip" my left hand over and grab/take control of the attacker at this stage. It gives me a little extra bracing and I can control the direction the attacker falls if executing the lunge as an actual buckle. Also, by taking contol you can pull the attacker in and down in the event the knee check isn't as effective in breaking down the attackers height zone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I "Flip" my left hand over and grab/take control of the attacker at this stage. It gives me a little extra bracing and I can control the direction the attacker falls if executing the lunge as an actual buckle. Also, by taking contol you can pull the attacker in and down in the event the knee check isn't as effective in breaking down the attackers height zone.
    Hadn't thought of that. Frictional pull, or grab and pull? Have to try it when I can find my partner.

Dan C

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 611 Posts

Good thoughts, gentlemen. Ideally the last left hand check is vertical and purely positional at the victim's right shoulder. This to keep the person from turning back into you. My preference to flow into an extension is to step-drag further to 12:00 into a lunge stance collapsing into a left elbow/right heel palm sandwich to the temple or jaw hinge (your right hand is already in position). Then continue from there with...

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

Thanks

I can definately see following up with an elbow sandwich... The more I think about it the more I like it.

I'll have to expirement with the elbow sandwich and see what developes......ah, the possibilities...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links