Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made Purple!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Made Purple!

I just got my video back from Mr. LeRoux and am now an IKCA Purple belt!

The video lesson was cool, full of good information. I'm looking forward to trying out the endings, especially the
    ones for Raking Hammer.

I mentioned to Mr LeRoux that I recorded the video five or six times and he told me to stop being so critical on myself. I intend on getting the Blue test in next month.

I am enjoying the system quite a bit and am looking forward to seeing what is on the return lesson for Blue.
    I had a few reservations when I started this but am very glad I decided to join the IKCA. I have had uniformly positive experiences with every interaction that I have had with the Association and its members. Given some of the negative experience that I've had with organization in the shotokan world, its a nice change.

On to Blue!

Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 3,583 Times in 2,189 Posts

Default Re: Made Purple!

Well done!
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

shihansmurf (12-13-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

Congratz!
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RDCParker For This Useful Post:

shihansmurf (12-15-2011)

Thanks

Awesome! Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If a person prefers to do something another way, and he is happy with his results, no one can tell him he's wrong" Ed Parker, as quoted by Doc

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stone_dragone For This Useful Post:

shihansmurf (12-15-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 552 Posts

Well done!
    You must put a lot of time and effort in your training, if you can progress from purple to blue in just a few weeks.
    殺意の忍者猿コーディング
    "Using big words and obscure terms to make yourself sound like you know what you're talking about is typical, until you have to actually explain." - "Doc" Chapél
    "A belt only covers two inches of your ass and the rest you need to back up on your own." - Royce Gracie
    ‎"In Tai Chi, practitioners are classified as being either turtles or fish. A turtle swims by just using it limbs. A fish swims by using its whole body. Be a fish." - Lee Wedlake, "Kenpo 301"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lenny For This Useful Post:

shihansmurf (12-15-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,254 Posts

Congrats!
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

shihansmurf (12-15-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Outstanding!!!! Keep up the rewarding good work.

YBIK

Mark W.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to altoona For This Useful Post:

shihansmurf (12-15-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Congrats~

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mass For This Useful Post:

shihansmurf (12-15-2011)

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Congratulations.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to John Brewer For This Useful Post:

shihansmurf (12-15-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 599 Posts

Congratulations Mark!

Own the material. Part of the next test is extensions for some of the purple techniques. Granted, some are "basic", but some incorporate movements and positioning you will integrate in more than one place in the sysytem. Simultaneous execution is incorporated in much of the blue material. Concentrate on keeping things close to the core, getting too far out with the appendages is a common challenge. Taking the first three belt levels and examing technique interelationships now is a great idea. Are there similar movements and executions across different relative body positions?

Regardless of the perceptions of some folks... keep pressing on. Heading to Ft. Bragg anytime soon? Gotta start thinking about the real Army soon.

On a side note, my nephew (been in the Army about a year) just deployed to Afghanistan last week.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (12-21-2011),shihansmurf (12-15-2011)

Mac
    KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Congratulations!
    I love your enthusiasm and am glad you found a Kenpo home.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (12-21-2011),shihansmurf (12-15-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Well done!
    You must put a lot of time and effort in your training, if you can progress from purple to blue in just a few weeks.
    Thanks.

I have been working on the system for a couple of years now. I finally sent in the orange test in May. I have been meaning to send in the purple test for a few months but I am mildly OCD and re-shot it seven times. Mrs Smurf, who assisted me in the video, finally got sick of me acting like George Lucas and made me send it in. Mr LeRoux chided me about that and has encouraged me to get in the test.

My senior color belt is preparing to go for brown here in our shotokan class and my wife graded in August for shodan so things have been hectic on the martial arts front. Assuming that my student does well on saturday, I can focus more on working on the kenpo material.

Mark

23. The Following User Says Thank You to shihansmurf For This Useful Post:

Lenny (12-16-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Bill,

Thank you for the advice. I started working the extensions for raking hammer last night, I like the one from Mr Parker. I see what you mean on points of commonality throughout the techs. It's interesting that the IKCA seemed anemic when I first started out working on it but now I am finding that there are a lot more layers to the onion that it initially appeared. Like Shrek.

I've been thinking about the real Army since day one of recruiting but Bragg isn't an option after four knee surgeries. I can't do jump school and I am not up for being a leg at the home of the AA. Fort Gordon is viable, though, and likely.

I hope that all goes well for your nephew. Mindy and I will be sure to remember him in our prayers.

How is the grandson doing?

Take care,
    Mark

25. The Following User Says Thank You to shihansmurf For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (12-15-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

Congrats!
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." – Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

Thanks

"Just remember Airborne - keep your feet and knees together; 75% of the world is covered with water and the rest is drop zone!"

Talked to Mr LeRoux today, he hardly ever talks about folks' tests, but he was honestly impressed with the test and wanted me to let you know that... You must've rocked it!

"If a person prefers to do something another way, and he is happy with his results, no one can tell him he's wrong" Ed Parker, as quoted by Doc

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone_dragone For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (12-21-2011),shihansmurf (12-20-2011)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stone_dragone View Post
    "Just remember Airborne - keep your feet and knees together; 75% of the world is covered with water and the rest is drop zone!"

Talked to Mr LeRoux today, he hardly ever talks about folks' tests, but he was honestly impressed with the test and wanted me to let you know that... You must've rocked it!

Hooah! If I could go to jump school I would in a heartbeat, but the doc keeps telling me no due to the screws in my leg. One APC crash and it messes up the path of your entire career.

Thank you for the kind word from Mr. LeRoux. Nice to know my OCD on taping the tests paid off

Still working on the endings to the techs. I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting to the way the IKCA wants the Kiai. The long sustained kiai is very different from the short intense kiai that I've internalized in shotokan. If I'm not mistakes you came from a traditional Japanese/Okinawan system. Did you have trouble with that?

Thanks again,
    Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 629 Posts

Congrats
    Tradition is not about the preservation of the ashes, but about keeping the flame alive

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it".
    ~George Orwell
    Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way." Booker T. Washington

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shihansmurf View Post

Still working on the endings to the techs. I'm having a bit of trouble adjusting to the way the IKCA wants the Kiai. The long sustained kiai is very different from the short intense kiai that I've internalized in shotokan. If I'm not mistakes you came from a traditional Japanese/Okinawan system. Did you have trouble with that?
    Mark
    Loads of trouble to be honest, although I've gotten used to it... For me it's not a replacement of my old kiai, but just another way of doing it... Another tool in the box, if you will.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,583 Times in 2,189 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stone_dragone View Post
    Loads of trouble to be honest, although I've gotten used to it... For me it's not a replacement of my old kiai, but just another way of doing it... Another tool in the box, if you will.

What's the purpose behind the one long kiai? From what little I know, that messes up it's entire purpose.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

It should not be at the end but during techs. You do not punctuate at the end but throughout the tech.

This is to combine your techs in one breath and sustain the power throughout. Guro/Sifu Inosanto said that it was to make sure that you do everything in one breath as one tech should be one motion and one breath. I'm not sure how Chuck or Vic would put it, but he said when doing bolo you need to use one breath with many punctuations. I talked with him over lunch last week to see what his insights were into the tech. He told me I should do this when doing bolo. Which very few got in his demonstration during a seminar last week as most did Filipino martial arts and not kenpo, but need to understand both.

If you kiai is at the end or beginning you are missing the point. It is for consistent power throughout all techniques. It should be vocal, mental and spiritual throughout all techs.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjansen For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (05-26-2012),Josh Oakley (05-26-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links