Thread: Ghost Image, and other canonized kenpology mistakes.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Ghost Image, and other canonized kenpology mistakes.

Ghost image, according to the Encyclopedia, is the act of picturing where you were -- after you left that spot -- to see if where you ended up was a good idea or not. A "best path". I feel I have something to offer about this listing being bass ackwards, since it's the piece my book with Mr. P. was going to be on. Seeing a ghost image of you doing your options, and using them to determine which option work(s)/(ed) best was the appropriate use of the term. Since I never had a copy of the encyclopedia until recently, I never got to see the term canonized before...correctly, or incorrectly. The book was to have some final chapters on a process called "ghosting", which Mr. Marshall has been introduced to recently...nothing more than a generative visualization technique in which you see it in your mind, in great detail, before actually doing the movement, physically following the details mapped out for you in the mental visualization.

Couple presuppositions of the model were: We all do it all the time anyway, just at a level below conscious threshold. Whenever you see someone thinking their way through the minutae of a tech, they are building a mental model, comparing their current execution to the execution being perfomed by the internal model, then trying to tweak their real-time execution to match what the brain is working out for them. Assertion: Because it's an unidentified, unscrutinized, and unrefined process, it's more time consuiming and inefficient than it needs to be. Becoming aware of it, and delineating an ABC/123 stepwise process for it allows us to be more efficient and effective at it. That ideosensory, "deep in thought" mode, is conducive in learning theory to making more solid connections, and many learning methods aim at steering your attention inwards to accentuate that internally focused state. One of Mr. P's pet learning modalities was Superlearning, with the state of heightened mind-body communication being Superconscious. (see Inf. Ins. V.1)

Properly, one would use a process...be it Superlearning, light hypnotic induction, ideosensory association, etc...to steer the students attention inwards, and accentuate the clarity of ideosensory, imaginative impulses erupting from the creative deeper mind. The one we dream and write and think deeply with, rather than the one we use to chat mindlessly at Starbucks. Once there, we could simply "ask" that creative part of Self, "What does it look like when I do this wee-little part a little bit better than I'm doing it now?" Answer crops up, and we engage in the process of making our physical execution match the thingy our creative self showed us. What's the proper use of "ghost image"? The you who was pictured doing it a different way before you tried it out with your real-time, physical self...that "ghost" showed you how it's done, and you do it; tutelary spirit...the ghost of an ancestor or genius/jinn, whispering in your ear a subtle inspiration about process and performance improvemence. Common in local Hawaiian "superstition", influenced by the syncretic effects of shintoism and other ancestor worship worldviews landing in the Hawaiian melting pot, so an easy idea for Mr. P. to identify and embrace, particularly considering the origins of the word "genius", as the little humunculus who whispers unctions to our minds, allowing us access to information we wouldn't otherwise aspire to without inspiration by these disembodied bits.

People do it all the time when they think things through...how many times you been asked "is that part in Fluttering Moth done this way or that way", and you say, "Hang on a minute...let me think it through", only to run through it in your mind, mimic the paths pictured with your body, then come up with your answer? You were using Ghost Image to come up with that answer. Pictuing a ghost...a non-existent replica of your self, looking much like your own physical body, but not your physical body...to access information stored in your minds data banks.

But, being someone who believes we sometimes create a path by walking it, I'm willing to acquiesce to the idea that ... given an idea in reverse, and told it means something... people have filled in the blanks, and perhaps even found some useful applications of the mislead definition. So, share with me how the published definition of Ghost Image had served you in improving your kenpo, or a role it plays in skill development.
    D.

For the original post: http://americankenpoforum.com/forums/p/1995/9616.aspx

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Default Re: Ghost Image, and other canonized kenpology mistakes.

we found that once you tune into the ghost image (and it is more than just visual') you really can begin to make big leaps of performance in your movements. However you better be sure the movement you are practicing is anatomically sound because if it is not you can injure yourself with pulled muscles or strained joints etc. It is a powerful technology that is really making an impact on us...

I'm not a student of Ed Parker's American Kenpo or American Kenpo Karate or any permutation of that. But I have learned SO MUCH from some of Ed Parker's students. But it has given me an interesting perspective on some of the material, since I don't share so much of the background information or canonical material that you all do as EPAK or AKK students. And here is another good example of that.

In this post Dr. Crouch has done two things: he has explained how the printed definition of Ghost Image in the EoK is actually different from the term as he discussed it with Mr. Parker; and he has asked the AKK students how (if) they benefited from the WRONG definition.

Reading the original thread with that "outsider's" view is very interesting... seeing the way some don't want to know what Dave has to say
    -David C
    http://www.kungfubooksonline.com

"...while you guys are arguing, I'm on the grind."
    - an anonymous brick puncher

"If you don't ask the right questions, I can't give you the answers, and if you don't know the right question to ask, you're not ready for the answers"
    -Ed Parker Sr.

"For many a 'system' is just a bunch of techniques. It should be much, much more than that..."
    - Doc Chapel

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (12-12-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    we found that once you tune into the ghost image (and it is more than just visual') you really can begin to make big leaps of performance in your movements. However you better be sure the movement you are practicing is anatomically sound because if it is not you can injure yourself with pulled muscles or strained joints etc. It is a powerful technology that is really making an impact on us...

I'm not a student of Ed Parker's American Kenpo or American Kenpo Karate or any permutation of that. But I have learned SO MUCH from some of Ed Parker's students. But it has given me an interesting perspective on some of the material, since I don't share so much of the background information or canonical material that you all do as EPAK or AKK students. And here is another good example of that.

In this post Dr. Crouch has done two things: he has explained how the printed definition of Ghost Image in the EoK is actually different from the term as he discussed it with Mr. Parker; and he has asked the AKK students how (if) they benefited from the WRONG definition.

Reading the original thread with that "outsider's" view is very interesting... seeing the way some don't want to know what Dave has to say
    Thats what happens when people assume everything written is correct.
    In Mr. Parkers book 4 of the infinte insights there is a Contradiction in terms. I wont say where but if you look you will find it.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,957 Times in 5,604 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Thats what happens when people assume everything written is correct.
    In Mr. Parkers book 4 of the infinte insights there is a Contradiction in terms. I wont say where but if you look you will find it.
    Keeping in mind, the Encyclopedia was compiled from a series of notations and unfinished writings after Mr. Parker passed. Then there are definitions and concepts created for a particular philosophy that may not be universal to all interpretations of kenpo and the arts. Parker always said, "when you get to the top, it won't matter because it's all the same no matter what you call it."

Parker evolved, and depending upon the branch or lineage path, and when the information was provided, this has more of an impact on the 'correctness' of the material than anything else.

I know most like to think Kenpo evolved directly from Chow to their belt, but it didn't. As an example, he felt "ghosting" was a simpler way to convey what he called in my teachings, "Mental Image Processing." He overly simplified a great deal of material commercially with the idea the really smart guys would ask questions. Those that chose not to, that's fine too, because he knew and often stated, "... the ability to do it well, was a gift that few actually have."

Most really good engineers have that gift. Bottom line it is an intellectual exercise for most, but a natural thought process for others. However, without the requisite understanding of body mechanics, anything may be visualized but not necessarily executed as visualized. We can only functionally visualize within the parameters of our knowledge base and capabilities. I see myself building a suspension bridge, performing open heart surgery, and leaping tall buildings with a single bound but, oh well.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (12-14-2007),Drew (12-16-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links