Thread: MT: Dojo and walk ins

Thanks

Default MT: Dojo and walk ins

Dojo and walk ins
    By kosho - Thu, 04 Oct 2007 16:57:46 GMT

====================

Hello,
    I had a 18 year old come into my dojo. He said he will be testing for his black belt in march. he worked out with my guys. after class he left with 1/2 the EGO he came in with. any others ever had this happen?

There is more to the events and how he became humbled...

Kosho

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: MT: Dojo and walk ins

I'm sure most schools have incidents like this.

Several years ago a fellow came to our back yard and challenged the head instructor.

He told the fellow to spar one of the purple belts and if he did well enough then he'd get on the mat with him.

The purple belt wore him out; beat him all over the place. Drove him off the mats, tagged him repeatedly....it was kind of sad. You know how aggressive purple belts are..

The purple belt had no idea who the guy was until after he tucked tail and left the dojo. At that time the instructor told the purple belt the fellow claimed to be a black belt in ninjitsu....his jaw dropped..."What?!?!" he replied in shock.

The fellow never came back. I guess he couldn't put his ego aside to take the time to learn something new; something that would be beneficial to him.

The purple belt learned that confidence can be a great tool if used properly. It's okay to believe in yourself. If he'd have "known" the fellow was a "black belt" he would not have approached the match the same way and the outcome would probably have been different.

Shows that sometimes confidence can be a benefit but can sometimes also be harmful. Something to think about if you have the time.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links