Thread: MT: What is "the entire system" ?

Thanks

Default MT: What is "the entire system" ?

What is "the entire system" ?
    By Carol Kaur - Mon, 21 May 2007 05:35:16 GMT

====================

I've read a few posts from BBs here that said their 1st BB test meant going through "everything", meaning X techs, Y forms, Z sets (forgive me for not remembering the actual numbers.)

On another forum I read a post from a fellow that's a (I think)3rd black and mentioning that he's finally opening up a school. His description sounded like the building where he will be teaching has had some big problems and delayed the schools opening more than once.

The poster seemed to have a great attitude about it, saying that the time delay gave him a chance to spend more time with his own instructor. He commented that he was getting closer to learning "the entire system."

That made me curious. How does your school define it's "entire system" ?

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default Re: MT: What is "the entire system" ?

I been doing Kenpo for years and teach all the forms,sets,techs,and free styles. However there are very few that reach a level to be taught this material. Being able to use 1 tech 10 different ways is for me better than knowing 10 techs I can only use 1 way.

Depest Respect

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (06-08-2007),sifuroy (06-09-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I think that's a big contributer to the politics of Kenpo. Relatively speaking, there is no "ENTIRE SYSTEM." Now there are "curriculums" based on school or organization, but there's more to uncover than any mortal could hope to in a life time.

Unfortunatley, the politics often cause some to cut themselves off or to assume that someone from a different approach has nothing to contribute or teach. That's a shame. I've learned much from sharing with folks from different schools with different approaches.

The bottom line is that one can learn what is required within an entire syllabus or curriculum, but I don't think the system will ever be completed "entirely." LOL. Especially if one stops on the last page of a syllabus.

"...after all the years I've spent working with Kenpo I finally realize that what I know is nothing compared to what there is to learn." -SGM Ed Parker

"Ed Parker was a student to the very end. May we all share in boundless thirst for knowledge, as we continue his work, and study his teachings." Ed Parker Jr.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Brother John (06-08-2007),jdinca (06-09-2007),kenpo0324 (06-09-2007),KirkS (07-16-2011),profesormental (06-09-2007),sifuroy (06-09-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

That is one of the most wonderful things I have seen written. I Salute you and your open heart.

Brad

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

Very well stated,Celtic.

I am Most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Greetings.

Great insights, Crippler Rob (hope that sounds cool to you!).

Since we agree that the "entire system" is not just knowing the technique sequences, the forms, the sets, etc. I say let's look at how a practitioner learns this stuff. As they say... a journey.

A practitioner starts learning from a teacher.

Starts with the basics and fundamentals. Then wants to have some more insight. So the practitioner gets recommended books and manuals... and now, videos and such.

In the training studio, the practitioner works what he learns from these materials and gets more insight and feedback from his teacher.

The practitioner has the opportunity to share with other practitioners, from the same school and from others... more info to associate into training and more insigts from the teacher on these. Also, more exposure to different methods and viewpoints on training from other practitioner's methods.

Then maybe go to competitions and share some more... the "good" and the "bad" experiences... all learning.

Then at some point the practitioner begins to instruct others, since now the practitioner has gained a lot of experience and can notice certain things and give insights to students from learned experiences.

Then the practitioner starts to get new ideas on how to communicate, train and execute because of all these experiences and exposures, and so shares them with the teacher and maybe even writes about it or records it on video.

Now remember also, that the teacher went through this process too, and is STILL going through it!!

So now the practitioner becomes a teacher, and gets new students... yet the new teacher notices that his teacher is teaching differently now... and the way that the practitioner that has become a teacher teaches is similar yet somewhat different...

Yet the teaching of lessons in the form of Default Self defense Technique Sequences is a similar teaching technique that they share.

So this is a system of teaching, more than a system of fighting.

So as much as the instructor is able to squeeze out of these "texts" of movements applied to personal combat, the more the students learn.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your training!

Juan M. Mercado

9. The Following User Says Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (06-10-2007)

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

To everyone kenpo is different. I have been around Tracy and Epac schools and Kara Ho and Castro schools. Depends on who you ask what is the whole kenpo system. I am not sure anyone can answer it as it is different to each of us. I don't think we can live long enough to learn the whole Kenpo System. To me it would be the sum total of all these styles. Customizing Kenpo to you is what makes the difference from other Martial arts.

Hard to say what the complete Kenpo system is. I don't Know. Keep searching,Maybe you can figure it out.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sifuroy For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (06-10-2007)

Steve W Spry Guest

Entire System,

The entire system that's my friend is an impossibility. To have something be the ENTIRE would have to have a climax to an end. What is the beginning to you is the end for others, and what the end is only the beginning to some.

To have a complete ENTIRETY OF SOMETHING IT MUST BECOME NON EXISTENT FOREVER.

Today may be your or mine last day of Kenpo. So what ever stage you or I are in at that moment, what ever rank we have earned we have our entire system of our personal Kenpo journey has meet it's END ...

Steve Spry
    Psalms 144:1

I Credit My Success to My Consistency Through My Failures
    Through Studying & Learning the Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth, the B.I.B.L.E.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links