Thanks

Default MT: Ussd

Ussd
    By Gufbal1982 - Fri, 24 Nov 2006 02:00:47 GMT

====================

United Studios of Self Defense (USSD)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danjo
    Well, having talked to a number of instructors there, it's all about the money. They tested the celebrities right next to us in Lake Forrest, (Christian Slater and I went for Green belt at the same test session, and Steven Seagal's kids also trained there) and it seems that if there were a "Special Club" that they would be the one's who would have gotten it.

When I would go to the tests in Charlie's Lake Forrest HQ, I would work my butt off before testing to learn all of my material and be able to do it well. I would be standing next to people that forgot forms and combinations and some that even had to take a break and sit out part of the test. Well, at the end of the session, everyone got their tested for rank. When one of my fellow students that was testing at the same time asked one of the "Masters" what the deal was, the "Master" shrugged his shoulders and said, "It's a business." That's a quote I heard myself right from the mouth of Dennis B.

I wanted to give my 2 cents here. United Studios is a business. Is it fair to give some people special treatment? No. Will they do it though? yes. Why? Because they want to keep their businesses running. Remember, USSD says they never close a school, just get rid of the bad instructor that ran it. I can honestly say that a few schools have closed, most recently being Seal Beach, CA. Sounds like a well oiled business, right?

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

kenpoteacher Guest

Default Re: MT: Ussd

How can you go wrong with a system that awards it's Black Belt of the year honor, by the BB with the highest sales for that year?

United Schools of Self Deceit.

Clark

Kosho Lohan is offline Banned
    Thanks

Cool Re: MT: Ussd

USSD is like any other martial arts group where there is more than one school lumped together. It all comes down to the people teaching at each location meaning you will get good & bad experiences depending on where you go & who you encounter. Same goes for BJJ & TKD, Aikido & the likes. Good & bad apples to be found in every basket.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kosho Lohan View Post
    USSD is like any other martial arts group where there is more than one school lumped together. It all comes down to the people teaching at each location meaning you will get good & bad experiences depending on where you go & who you encounter. Same goes for BJJ & TKD, Aikido & the likes. Good & bad apples to be found in every basket.
    I give it an 8 out of 10 on the necroposting scale batman...

Is USSD still in business?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

Necroposting! Ha! That's deadly!
    Unfortunately there's a USSD "school" about a mile from where I live.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

Thanks

Smile Re: MT: Ussd

Say and think what you like I know some people involved with USSD and they are not bad people or martial artist for that matter and the people that train under these people are happy so I guess that's what really counts in the long run. I have also run across people involved with USSD that are not good people or martial artist and in the arts for the wrong reasons but then again I've found good people and morons as well in other Kempo/Kenpo groups. Like I said good & bad apples will be found in every basket.

Thanks

I smell an Agenda....

I never said anything about them being good or bad..
    I have seen them close up shop all over San Diego County... was a serious question... are they still around?
    Personally I like having them around, they have paid to advertise and get more people interested in the martial arts... the more people advertising the better it is for me..
    /shrug

Thanks

I know a few USSD students and they are actually decent people. Unfortunately, they're not very skillful. My problem with USSD is the fake lineage crap and the fake Shaolin Temple garbage, when originates upstream.
    But it's a free country and everyone's free to study and swallow whatever they want to.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (12-20-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I know a few USSD students and they are actually decent people. Unfortunately, they're not very skillful. My problem with USSD is the fake lineage crap and the fake Shaolin Temple garbage, when originates upstream.
    But it's a free country and everyone's free to study and swallow whatever they want to.
    Exactly how I feel...

McDojo
    The above is just my opinion.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

MarkC (12-20-2009)

Thanks

Well the entire linage topic is a huge question mark in all Kempo/Kenpo circles as far as I'm concerned but then that big question mark runs through all the other arts out there as well so who really knows what is real? It's pointless & doesn't really matter except to those who are looking to promote themselves for some type of gain & it's not just the folks at USSD doing it that's for sure. Skillful? Well that's a big question mark as well. Some have mentioned meeting USSD people that were not very skillful so what's new? Again there are so called martial artist from all kinds of Kempo/Kenpo BJJ, Kung Fu, & on & on that are anything but skillful & again so what? I have a friend who has never trained in any kind of martial art before & I'm willing to bet he could take the head of any high ranking martial artist you could think of and again who cares? USSD has it's good points as well as it's bad points. The same goes for all the other groups as well.

Thanks

Well the entire linage topic is a huge question mark in all Kempo/Kenpo circles as far as I'm concerned but then that big question mark runs through all the other arts out there as well so who really knows what is real? It's pointless & doesn't really matter except to those who are looking to promote themselves for some type of gain & it's not just the folks at USSD doing it that's for sure. Skillful? Well that's a big question mark as well. Some have mentioned meeting USSD people that were not very skillful so what's new? Again there are so called martial artist from all kinds of Kempo/Kenpo BJJ, Kung Fu, & on & on that are anything but skillful & again so what? I have a friend who has never trained in any kind of martial art before & I'm willing to bet he could take the head of any high ranking martial artist you could think of and again who cares? USSD has it's good points as well as it's bad points. The same goes for all the other groups as well.
    I'm your Huckleberry....
    and as a final side note to this nonsense from me, I have met many USSD people and they are were absolutely horrible. No redeeming Qualities from a martial arts standpoint, and combine that with the overwhelming consensus in the martial arts community as a whole and you have a great big pot of McDojo, covered in money making scheme, dipped in a pathetic ooze of inefficiency..
    I think that pretty much covers it... so what USSD Location do you teach at?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckyKBoxer For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (12-21-2009),MarkC (12-21-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKBoxer View Post
    I'm your Huckleberry....
    and as a final side note to this nonsense from me, I have met many USSD people and they are were absolutely horrible. No redeeming Qualities from a martial arts standpoint, and combine that with the overwhelming consensus in the martial arts community as a whole and you have a great big pot of McDojo, covered in money making scheme, dipped in a pathetic ooze of inefficiency..
    I think that pretty much covers it... so what USSD Location do you teach at?

Actually I do not teach for USSD. I have my own school but I know of a number of people that do teach for USSD. While we are on the topic of USSD I was just on another USSD related thread here on the Forum defending your rights to trash talk them. You might want to read it as either it was put up by some attorneys or it was put up by some wannabe legal parasites in the making. Either way the people that put of the thread in a half cocked kind of way say it's a big no no to trash talk USSD. Then again maybe since you are so perfect & such an outstanding martial artist with God given skills you can say what you want!

Thanks

Who knows what's real? Well, the only thing real abouu the USSD/Shaolin Temple connection is that USSD pays money to be able to say they have a connection. If you can even successfully define what Shaolin technique looks like and describe it in detail, I very much doubt you can point to anything USSD does and say it's similar. Except, of course the part about cynically making money off people who don't know any better.
    As far as USSD people's competency, I haven't personally seen very much competency at all. What I've witness is weak basics, poor balance, unrealistic confidence that is misplaced, and a room full of people making a lot of noise while barely managing to avoid falling down.
    Just what I've personally seen.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (12-21-2009),J Ellis (12-21-2009),LuckyKBoxer (12-22-2009),stone_dragone (12-21-2009)

Thanks

Unhappy Re: MT: Ussd

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Who knows what's real? Well, the only thing real abouu the USSD/Shaolin Temple connection is that USSD pays money to be able to say they have a connection. If you can even successfully define what Shaolin technique looks like and describe it in detail, I very much doubt you can point to anything USSD does and say it's similar. Except, of course the part about cynically making money off people who don't know any better.
    As far as USSD people's competency, I haven't personally seen very much competency at all. What I've witness is weak basics, poor balance, unrealistic confidence that is misplaced, and a room full of people making a lot of noise while barely managing to avoid falling down.
    Just what I've personally seen.

Shaolin Techniques, now that's opening a huge can of worms. Be it USSD or whoever theres a million & one schools out there claiming to practice Shaolin & 99.9% of it is watered down wushu. As for the Shaolin Temple well, thats China's version of Disneyland. Getting back to Kempo/ Kenpo it's a shame there is so much bickering within out art.

Thanks

Shaolin Techniques, now that's opening a huge can of worms. Be it USSD or whoever theres a million & one schools out there claiming to practice Shaolin & 99.9% of it is watered down wushu. As for the Shaolin Temple well, thats China's version of Disneyland. Getting back to Kempo/ Kenpo it's a shame there is so much bickering within out art.
    The problem is not the bickering... the problem is all the people who do something completely different and want to call it the same.... its samesame...ummm no its not the same... Kempo/kenpo is not the same.... american kenpo and shaolin kenpo is not the same.... American Kenpo and Tracys Kenpo is not the same..... Kosho Kenpo and Villaris is not the same....I can go on and on... hell even many of the schools that are downlines in EPAK are not doing the same art anymore... simply go to youtube pull up a series of videos for any given technique and look at all the differences... forms are different for different EPAK groups, Drills are different, wording has changed, new movements have been added, some movements deleted, some forever changed... tons of stuff misunderstood...

No bickering is really good for Kenpo...martial arts as a whole, because it should keep people honest. I would guess more then 60%, and probably alot higher of the martial arts out there, including kenpo is crap at this point in time... meaning the meat and potatos of the arts have been lost on the newer generation of practitioners and teachers, the essence of the arts has been lost to people who have expectations of new belts every month or two, and their entire understanding of the art is a preset series of dance moves they call techniques...
    I will bet your school is just like that too... don't believe me? Go up to one of your advanced belts and tell them you are going to attack them and they need to defend themselves...... now before you move a hair just yell a technique name for a right punch.... then throw a left roundhouse kick.... I bet you will be embarassed. If you say well thats not fair...... I am going to just laugh and say ya because self defense is so fair.... because bad guys are going to walk up to you from you 12 o clock line, telegraph what they are going to do, and then stand there and allow yoiu to finish it without resistance until you are done..... um ya....

So I say lets bring the bickering on, lets bring on the arguments that cause a deeper look into the art itself, lets point out the problems in these horrible youtube fiascos called kenpo videos and humiliate the people that are putting complete crap out there..... if they actually care about the quality of their art they will consider it a challenge and improve, if they are simply into thinking they are famous for having a youtube video they will delete your comments or argue with you.... as long as you are telling the truth about what you see, and know what you are talking about, people can't honestly say you are being mean... they may not like what you have to say, but being the truth and saying the truth is the best kindness you can give.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckyKBoxer For This Useful Post:

KirkS (12-22-2009),MarkC (12-22-2009)

Thanks

Ok, let me put things like this,

For the most part Kempo/Kenpo or whatever, people seem to argue about the same things, the same issues. Like a broken record always stuck on the same track, over & over. I'm pretty sure that like me & 99.9% of all the people involved in Kempo/Kenpo you are far from perfect & though this might sting your eyes to read far from being the highly skilled martial artist that you might think you are as if you were it wouldn't be important to you to run other Kempo/Kenpo groups into the ground. Heres some food for thought & something to think about. Whats more important? To be right all the time or to be happy? Think about it.

Thanks

Ok, let me put things like this,

For the most part Kempo/Kenpo or whatever, people seem to argue about the same things, the same issues. Like a broken record always stuck on the same track, over & over. I'm pretty sure that like me & 99.9% of all the people involved in Kempo/Kenpo you are far from perfect & though this might sting your eyes to read far from being the highly skilled martial artist that you might think you are as if you were it wouldn't be important to you to run other Kempo/Kenpo groups into the ground. Heres some food for thought & something to think about. Whats more important? To be right all the time or to be happy? Think about it.
    Why do all of the knuckleheads insist of making assumption after assumption?.. Can anyone read, and understand what is written, retain it, and comment on it without putting all their own phobias, and hangups into it?

I never said I was a highly skilled martial artist. I am however a highly skilled fighter... I put that to the test as often as I can, because its a passion for me... some people like collecting stamps, action figures, bird watching, skiing, surfing, I like to fight... plain and simple... sports fighting, different rules, or no rules... its all a game, its all fun, and its my passion... thats all I have ever claimed... If I felt I was a highly skilled martial artist in the pure sense I would put videos of me doing forms all over the internet... I have plenty of work to do, I know what I need to work on. No delusions or misunderstanding there.

Maybe you dont understand, but I make comments when I see problems.. either in videos, or in posts... if people could pull their egos and pride away long enough to evaluate the comments I make they would realize its not only correct, but its something that would improve what they do. I don't have the time or desire to sugar coat anything.. that doesn't make me bitter, it makes me to the point... I learn alot of what not to do on the internet...

and you can put whatever hangups and limitations on yourself that you want.. I choose to be happy and right all the time... you can be bitter and wrong all you want I really could care less... btw telling someone what they are doing wrong, or poorly does not make me unhappy....apparantly you have have a problem with that... so sad...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyKBoxer View Post
    Why do all of the knuckleheads insist of making assumption after assumption?.. Can anyone read, and understand what is written, retain it, and comment on it without putting all their own phobias, and hangups into it?

I never said I was a highly skilled martial artist. I am however a highly skilled fighter... I put that to the test as often as I can, because its a passion for me... some people like collecting stamps, action figures, bird watching, skiing, surfing, I like to fight... plain and simple... sports fighting, different rules, or no rules... its all a game, its all fun, and its my passion... thats all I have ever claimed... If I felt I was a highly skilled martial artist in the pure sense I would put videos of me doing forms all over the internet... I have plenty of work to do, I know what I need to work on. No delusions or misunderstanding there.

Maybe you dont understand, but I make comments when I see problems.. either in videos, or in posts... if people could pull their egos and pride away long enough to evaluate the comments I make they would realize its not only correct, but its something that would improve what they do. I don't have the time or desire to sugar coat anything.. that doesn't make me bitter, it makes me to the point... I learn alot of what not to do on the internet...

and you can put whatever hangups and limitations on yourself that you want.. I choose to be happy and right all the time... you can be bitter and wrong all you want I really could care less... btw telling someone what they are doing wrong, or poorly does not make me unhappy....apparantly you have have a problem with that... so sad...

Actually I do not have a problem with you. I dont even know you. As for myself I'm wise enough to understand I'm not perfect & not always right. I do not have to come onto a thread to tell the world I'm a highly skilled martial artist or fighter. You, on the other hand do. If you really are a highly skilled fighter I would expect you would be out doing just that ... Fighting! Not wasting your precious time with somebody like me as if I really care if you can fight or not.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links