Thread: MT: Finger Whips

Thanks

Default MT: Finger Whips

Finger Whips
    By phoenix - Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:53:50 GMT

====================

I have been having a discussion with some friends regarding finger whips (aka basically similar to the Crane Finger Whips found in AK's Finger Set). Let's set up a quick scenario. Take Sword and Hammer, eliminate the initial handsword and make it a Finger Whip to the eyes (so the whip's trajectory is to your flank rather than straight ahead). The rest of the technique can remain the same.

When executing this finger whip (or one similar), IDEALLY, what part of your hand should make contact with the opponents eyes? And Why?

Some options:
    a. The very tips of the fingers/fingernail surface
    b. The first knuckle joint down from the fingertips
    c. The longer, flatter 'middle' portion of the finger (as if curling your hands halfway to a fist where the portion of the finger between first and second joint/knuckle are the striking surface)
    d. Other

I have my own thoughts, but don't want to prejudice my own question just yet.

To add a bit more spin, does the striking surface you are utilizing for the finger whip vary based on target (eyes vs. nose vs. cheek) or would you use the same striking surface regardless of the target?

I look forward to your replies!

Thanks.

Sean

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Thanks

Default Re: MT: Finger Whips

Of course it depends on the target. But, in the example given, it is the reaction you want more than the contact- and you will get that reaction! His head will jerk away- probably back- and his ballance and effectiveness will be momentarily disrupted. But you probably won't stop the right punch that is undoubtedly comeing with the grab (the reason we do the handsword first in S & H). It won't be effective without ballance, but still may be there. You are in a good position to crane and grab and possibly cross him up or pull him furhter off balance. My thoughts...

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks

The whole point of a "whip" is the focused power generated in the tip. So to me if the term whip is going to be used I would say the finger tips would be the weapon.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

kenpoteacher Guest

Whips to the face tend to be executed in an over then downward movement, or, fitting into a horizontal path that clears the mouth above the nose. Fingers can be bitten, so I would stay away from the mouth area.

WHips are best done with a drag to them. Not just the tip, but the last two knuckles dragging through the target. Fingers compact and together.

Is it the forward motion or the returning motion that delivers the strike? What do you think?

Clark

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpoteacher View Post
    Whips to the face tend to be executed in an over then downward movement, or, fitting into a horizontal path that clears the mouth above the nose. Fingers can be bitten, so I would stay away from the mouth area.

WHips are best done with a drag to them. Not just the tip, but the last two knuckles dragging through the target. Fingers compact and together.

Is it the forward motion or the returning motion that delivers the strike? What do you think?

Clark
    I agree with the drag after the initial strike. I guess depending on the reaction of the attacker would dictate what happens next.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpoteacher View Post
    Is it the forward motion or the returning motion that delivers the strike?
    The return delivers the strike in a whip- otherwise it's a cranes beak.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

We were taught a finger whip is always the back of the tips of the finger.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links