Thread: MT: Opinion of certain intructors

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: MT: Opinion of certain intructors

I've only been to seminars with Wedlake. He is very knowledgable and a great teacher. During his teaching he is very soft-spoken, which I find quite effective. By speaking in a soft voice everyone pays more attention.

I've learned a great deal from his books and also have his DVD on forms 1-3. He moves with quiet precision -- just the way he teaches.
    "Let the wookie win."

Thanks

I was wondering what everyone's opinion on the following instructors is:

Larry Tatum

Jeff Speakman

I've been to many of Mr. Tatum's seminars and I almost always enjoy the heck of them. There has been one or two when he was clearly exhausted, but usually they are interesting and fun. He makes me think, which is a good thing.

I have so far just worked with Mr. Speakman once and I found that he has a great sense of humor and a very easy-going teaching style that I enjoyed. The clips I've seen of his new material are presented in a unique way from other dvds I've seen. They show the techniques from a variety of angles and employ words on the screen to cement in what he's saying.

I will meet Mr. Wedlake in Feb. I've heard all good things about him. I hear he's a whiz with kata. If I can push Jason away from him long enough, I might be able to squeeze in a conversation or two with him about it.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: MT: Opinion of certain intructors

Of the named teachers, the only one I have worked firsthand with, is Mr Larry Tatum.

I found Mr Tatum to be very well-spoken, clearly knowledgable and an incredible technician. He's also more than willing to demonstrate techniques, at warp speed on anyone and everyone. (Always impressive to experience) He's also fairly opinionated, (not that this is a bad thing, mind you) about the absolute way of doing things. There is always something to be said for unshakable faith in one's methods.

I believe it was Al Tracy at the first Gathering of Eagles that posed the question:

"How many kenpoists does it take to change a lightbulb?"
    100. 1 to change the lightbulb...and 99 others to suggest a better method of doing it."

This is a remarkably insightful joke. I have found over the years, that there is always another, better way of doing just about any technique and everyone knows it, and is willing to demonstrate why their method is superior to all others. (Myself included) I think by and large this is one of our strengths. We were taught to think outside the box, and to use reason and physics to alter, improve and improvise.

Although Mr Tatum is a fantastic instructor and unparalelled kenpoist, I must say, I personally have enjoyed other seminars more. Partially because my understanding and interpretation of many techniques and theories is very close to Mr Tatum's, so I didn't learn as much as I did with say, Sifu Al Dacascos, who's perspective is very different from my own. I would say, if you've never seen Mr Tatum in action, up close and personal, it is well worth it just to see, the speed, control and application of the familiar theories taken to the Nth degree.

As with many things in life, your mileage may vary.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SifuDangeRuss View Post
    I believe it was Al Tracy at the first Gathering of Eagles that posed the question:

"How many kenpoists does it take to change a lightbulb?"
    100. 1 to change the lightbulb...and 99 others to suggest a better method of doing it."

This is a remarkably insightful joke. I have found over the years, that there is always another, better way of doing just about any technique and everyone knows it, and is willing to demonstrate why their method is superior to all others. (Myself included) I think by and large this is one of our strengths. We were taught to think outside the box, and to use reason and physics to alter, improve and improvise.

True. But I don't think it's a good idea to get too comfortable with one's own methods. By constantly questioning and seeking out others perspectives one can continue to grow, learn, and improve. Otherwise if one feels their methods are "superior" to all others they loose their drive to improve and/or grow. Know what I mean?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

The only two in the list I have worked with in any fashion would be:

Larry Tatum: Superior Knowledge, perception, insight and to me moves the best I have seen.

Jeff Speakman: Very personable, passionate and also excellent.

Looking forward to working with and or meeting the others listed.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    True. But I don't think it's a good idea to get too comfortable with one's own methods. By constantly questioning and seeking out others perspectives one can continue to grow, learn, and improve. Otherwise if one feels their methods are "superior" to all others they lose their drive to improve and/or grow. Know what I mean?
    Unless of course, like in Sifu's case, his current 'superior' method can and will soon be replaced by his NEW 'superior' method, which he just thought of. lol.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Default MT: Opinion of certain intructors

Opinion of certain intructors
    By Nutbar - Fri, 03 Nov 2006 06:20:44 GMT

====================

I was wondering what everyone's opinion on the following instructors is:

Larry Tatum

Jeff Speakman

Lee Wedlake

Ron Chapel

Just wanting to know everyone's thought on them as intructors and how knowledgable you think they are. Just curious.

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    Unless of course, like in Sifu's case, his current 'superior' method can and will soon be replaced by his NEW 'superior' method, which he just thought of. lol.

--Amy
    Yeah...but what about now?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Yeah...but what about now?
    I am already formulating the Latest and Greatest version.

That is not contrary to what I said, CC. What I said, was, that I prefer to be exposed to someone's whose philosphies and approach are different from my own, as opposed to someone who simply reinforces my own, somewhat overinflated opions and perspectives.

I also tend to prefer someone who makes me walk away with my trusty Brain Bucket sloshing over the rim with new ideas and insites. Professor Presas was a prime example. I never failed to walk away from one of his seminars, be it a 2 hour session, or a week long session, that I wasn't trying to digest information for 2 weeks afterwards. Sifu Dacascos, throws so many concepts and ideas at you in such a rapidfire, stacatto-like manner that it leaves you dizzy. The late David German, also opened up a floodgate of new ideas to me. Now mind you, I'm not saying that the aforementioned are any better martial artists, or for that matter better teachers. I simply gained more, as they had dramatically different backgrounds and approaches to what I'd previously been exposed to and had a somewhat different approach to the "We've got only so much time seminar approach". My own experience, with Mr Tatum, is he disected the materiel we did, incredibly thoroughly. When you walked away, I am certain you had a vastly superior understanding of the materiel covered in the seminar, but didn't get exposed to as much....quantity wise. I suppose one way of looking at it, would be the High-end Steakhouse meal (Tatum) vs the All-U-Can-Eat Smorgsboard (Dacasocs/Presas). Although I appreceate a finely cooked meal...I guess I'm just kind of a glutton.

Different approaches in teaching methodology, neither better, nor worse, simply different. Does this make more sense? I certainly meant no disrespect for Mr Tatum in any way shape or form. I have tremendous respect for his abilities. He's obviously very wise, as we agree on more than we dissagree!
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Thanks

Larry Tatum: Awesome Kenpoist. Extremely knowledgable. Very talented.

Jeff Speakman: Awesome Kenpoist. Extremely knowledgable. Very talented.

Lee Wedlake: Awesome Kenpoist. Extremely knowledgable. Very talented.

Ron Chapel: Awesome Kenpoist. Extremely knowledgable. Very talented.

...any other questions?

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

They're all better than me and all worth working with. When I'm in doubt however I default to Lee and Doc. Now if they disagree I'm in trouble.

Jeff

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links