Thread: MT: Deflecting Hammer

Thanks

Default MT: Deflecting Hammer

Deflecting Hammer
    By MJS - Sat, 07 Oct 2006 13:38:51 GMT

====================

Technique for discussion:

Deflecting Hammer-Right Front Kick

1. An attacker from 12 o'clock executes a right front thrust kick at your side.

2. From a right neutral bow, push drag back to 6 o'clock as you simultaneously execute a right downward block against the outside of your attacker's kicking leg. (This block should turn your attacker's back to you and possibly hurt them as you stretch them out.)

3. Execute a left thrusting check to their right arm (between the shoulder and biceps). As you do this, your right block (still in motion) will cock itself at your side.

4. Shift (push drag) towards 12 o'clock as you execute a right inward elbow strike to your attacker's face.

Thought we could discuss differences in this technique, as well as any possible counters or counter strikes our attacker can do.

For myself, I perform this technique from a neutral position, rather than the neutral bow stance. The rest of the technique remains the same for me.

Mike

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

Thanks

Default Re: MT: Deflecting Hammer

Here's one changed by the AKKI. We now call it Destructive Pendulum. It's basically the same tech. but after the elbow, we rotate to a swordhand to the back of the neck or carotid, and finish with another elbow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

I liked this response on MT:

Quote Originally Posted by kenpojujitst on MT
    Differences
    1) I start from a non-ready positon instead of a ready position.
    2) I Block on 45 degree angle which doesn't turn the attacker much, but instead "sucks him in"
    3) I use a downward riding check instead of a thrusting check so that I don't disturb the attackers momentum and let them collide full force with my elbow. This downward check also drops their height lower which helps me because I'm short and it automatically knocks the right arm down if it were coming in as a punch.

Opponent Defense #1 - opponent uses left hand to parry the inward elbow. We can borrow that orbit, hammerfist the kidney, and buckle their right leg out for the takedown.

Opponent Defense#2 - opponent spins from the kick in an effort to deliver a left spinning backfist. Our left check picks up the back fist while the elbow hits the back of the head. Convert the elbow to an outward claw and latch on to the opponent's face. Execute a stomp kick with the left foot and plant back to point of origin while pulling the opponent's left arm down with the left hand while pulling down on the haed with the right hand. Break the opponent's arm across the right knee as we drop to a wide kneel.

Opponent Defense #3 - Opponent Follow's up with a right hook after the kick - Check & catch the punching arm with the left hand(near the bicep) and deliver the elbow. Execute a right buckle while allowing the left hand to slide to the opponent's wrist. Follow up with any technique that has the opponent down and we are holding on to an arm such as Tripping Arrow or Falling Falcon.
    1) I start from a non-ready positon instead of a ready position.
    2) I Block on 45 degree angle which doesn't turn the attacker much, but instead "sucks him in"

Definately. As I step back off line to 6:30 I double factor the block with a left inside downward palm up to the leg (which probably won't connect) and my right goes to chamber at the same position of an inward bock. Then, the right quickly flows through chamber and strikes his leg with a 45" back angle to pull him off ballance (angle of disturbance) and into the elbow.

This method has the added advantage that, if this kick is delivered in close as a teep or extended knee strike and simultaneouse right hand strike to the face, as some systems practice, you are essentially training a universal block to deal with this in the base tech.

3) I use a downward riding check instead of a thrusting check so that I don't disturb the attackers momentum and let them collide full force with my elbow. This downward check also drops their height lower

I do something similar, if I'm reading his post correctly. I do a left thrusting inward heel palm block to his right arm, which then turns outward so that it press checks his arm back to his body and downward. This rotating and pushing back and down, with the disturbance to his base which has him moving forward, really destroys his ballance and structure, and leaves him with only one foot for a base as the elbow hits him before he can plant. It also lowers his shoulder so you get a really clear path for your elbow!

I like his opponent defenses, but #2 is only possible for him if you use a downward block that goes across your body, or somehow miss getting a good pull into your block to his kick.

One of my favorite techniques!

Dan C

Thanks

Another good variation to DF:

For a low kick- to groin, knees, etc. Step to 6:30 into a right cat and catch the kick with a leg check, which should ride his kick allowing forward motion and letting the force dissipate some, then forcefully plant forward and force his leg to plant where you want. Your upper blocks and strikes may need to be modified to deal with variations in his posture and his counter, but you can still run DF off the check.

The first time I did this was unintentional. We were running the base tech, and my "dummy" threw a hard ball kick to my groin instead of the thrust to my pelvis/abdomen. I picked it up with the leg check, and my arms were in the "universal" configuration since I was thinking about running the base (I know- but we all do it!!!). I was able to plant forward, my leg in the same position as when I push drag in with the pressing check to his arm. I also was in position to do the pressing check as I planted, only with a right inward and frictional pull as I went to chamber and the left rolling to the pressing check, and my plant forced him to plant exactly where I wanted him. It was DF, every bit as effective, but quicker. One of those "Hey, I think I just discovered something" moments. Try it.

Dan C

Thanks

Here is how I teach Deflecting Hammer, and some tips to improve the technique:

http://jamieseabrook.blogspot.com/

Perhaps we could discuss futher here on this thread.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 664 Posts

LT tip of the week for deflecting hammer...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScWk_qOTWs
    "You can't account for everything, but you should account for the reasonably probable. Unfortunately for the unknowledgeable, those never ending 'what if's' will choke your thought process to death with useless information." - Doc

"To hold and fill to overflowing is not as good as to stop in time. Sharpen a knife-edge to its very sharpest, and the edge will not last long." Loa Tzu

www.cromwellmartialarts.com
    www.BrianAselton.org
    www.hundredclubofct.org

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links