Thread: MT: Practicing with children

Thanks

Default MT: Practicing with children

Practicing with children
    By ziason - Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:43:24 GMT

====================

I have a question for everyone. AT my school there are only so seperations by age. Below 14, and 14 and above. Personally I am not thrilled about practicing martial arts against a 14 year old partner, especially a girl. I am nearly 50 and male. Our instructor says it's good for her to practice against me, and I can agree from that perspective. But for me to break out of a choke or wrist grab, or block a punch or kick from a 14 year old girl I hurl across the dojo with one hand seems pointless. I have been in real life situations where I had to use ma to defend myself and my opponents were all adults, usually drunk, angry, scared, or some combination there of. I think I would get a lot more realistic training if I could focus on training with other adults.
    How do your schools handle this? Are your broken up into more age groups? Please include the style in your reply.

Read More...

------------------------------------
    MartialTalk.com Post Bot - Kenpo Feed

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: MT: Practicing with children

I'm 41 myself and have 2 kids of my own, look at it this way she needs the practice more than we do, when mister Perv comes up and says "Get in my car" she'll have a better chance doing a groin kick and getting away. Consider yourself a teacher at this point, you can hit the heavy bag later.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Working with those who are more frail means we have to learn control, which is as important as being able to defend oneself. It also allows us to thoroughly disect the mechanics of technique. Once the person does get maneuvre right it can also teach a little humility.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

As Rob says working with smaller, weaker partners allows a good student to concentrate on the finesse points that make a technique work well. ("Good" is not a comment on ziason but instead a reference to those who just blast through smaller partners and fail to learn finesse.) Also you may find that some 14 year old 80 pound girls are tougher than you would expect. You never know who you will learn from, every new partner is a new opportunity.

Jeff

Thanks

Our school has the childrens class but we also have a teenager class (individuals 13-17 yrs. old) and than we have the adult class. BUt the teenagers class is at the same time as the adult. As long as we have enough teenagers we either have one or two instructors take them aside. Otherwise they would have to work with the adults. I know this is not the best thing but there is really no other choice at this point in time. There are only four of us teaching.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Also you may find that some 14 year old 80 pound girls are tougher than you would expect. You never know who you will learn from, every new partner is a new opportunity.

Jeff[/quote]

I would agree with that.
    Karate Girl

Thanks

True, I was much tougher as a 14 year old than I am now. But, the question I have is when you have a class room where there aren't enough students so they don't break up the class, how do I work with a seven year old effectively? We also had an eleven year old girl in class who left class on a regular basis to cry over her injuries. She didn't want to be there, but her father said you started, you finnish, and forced her to stay in the class. That was very frustrating to deal with.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Angel View Post
    True, I was much tougher as a 14 year old than I am now. But, the question I have is when you have a class room where there aren't enough students so they don't break up the class, how do I work with a seven year old effectively? We also had an eleven year old girl in class who left class on a regular basis to cry over her injuries. She didn't want to be there, but her father said you started, you finnish, and forced her to stay in the class. That was very frustrating to deal with.
    Children of that age shouldn't be in the same class as the adults. They should have a special program designed for their learning abilities.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Is this guy upset because his ONLY partner is a 14 year old girl? Surely there are other adult students that he also works out with. I know several schools that are mixed and have adult classes that include young teens... there's usually enough diversity in age size and weight for everyone to get the feel of a different size opponent. If it's just himself and this young girl then I can understand some frustration and his instructor will need to give him something 'bigger' to work with occasionally. I don't weigh that much either and I know some big guys that can throw me around, but I don't mince attacks much. It's coming and they better be ready to defend. Maybe he can look at the benefits and talk to his instructor about supplementing if there's a real defficiency.
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodoc View Post
    As Rob says working with smaller, weaker partners allows a good student to concentrate on the finesse points that make a technique work well.
    I have tried to say this many times over again. Not being big myself, I have tried to make up for that by working on accuracy, body mechanics, plus lifting a little bit of weight here and there to help out. I will eventually break Jim of his bad habits. So on thursdays when you see me correcting him you know what's going on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post
    ..... plus lifting a little bit of weight here and there to help out.
    A little bit of weight here and there????

I'm gonna tell Susie you said that!

As for working with the 14yr. old, I understand your frustration. If you always have to work with her, talk to your instructor because that's not right. If it's just sometimes; suck it up.

We all work with people who we don't necessarily enjoy working with. Work on your flow. You already know you have the force, so work on your timing or your stances or your footwork.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links