Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Creed, Pledges and Character

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default Re: The Creed, Pledges and Character

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindelt View Post
    The feeling is mutual! I do need to get back up in the NorthEast one of these years!!
    Or perhaps my next mid west outing sir
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    Or perhaps my next mid west outing sir
    Let me know when and where!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindelt View Post
    Let me know when and where!
    I will be in Cameron MO later this summer, give me enough notice and perhaps I can help with your up coming event.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Ray
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Mr Marshall--let me know when you'll be in Cameron?

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    I will be in Cameron MO later this summer, give me enough notice and perhaps I can help with your up coming event.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Mr Marshall--let me know when you'll be in Cameron?

Will do Ray, been missing you bro
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I just looked up the aforementioned creed and pledges... Sheesh I thought the creeds and standards I had to memorize in the Mil were long. I give you guys credit... these days, my time spent memorizing stuff like this is limited to learning new languages...

I can see why you some one would create a creed like that back when they were devising the Kenpo system. Lots of potential for misuses.

I would have cut it down to 3 phrases. Live well, be polite, and if some one tries to bring you harm, revisit it on them times 10.

Still... Having a pledge like that can give people a sense of purpose. Cool...

Regards,
    Walt

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

3.jpeg

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Cool Re: The Creed, Pledges and Character

hi everybody, once before i had ask how many kenpoist have this kenpo creed like the one i have?. you can go to this website@ikkakenpo.com to check it out,under my bio.(bernard scorpio strickland). if any one have one like me please let me know. thank you tai scorpio

Thanks

Your link is a "mailto:" tag, sir. I'm assuming the correct url would be www.ikkakenpo.com

Perhaps a link directly to the creed would be most helpful. I found your bio page but, didn't immediately see any creed. Kindly post the link or the creed itself and we'll give you our thoughts. :-)
    ~Bill Richardson

Rudeness is the frustrated attempt of a small mind to communicate.

Forgive everyone everything

Thanks

I come to you with only Karate, empty Hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then hear are my weapons, Karate, my empty hands.

Mr. Ed Parker
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,934 Times in 5,591 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by toejoe2k View Post
    A question to the seniors with a long history of "growing" kenpo students:
    Has it been your experience that the Kenpo Creed and Pledges have actually contributed to the positive development of your students' character?

I'm wondering what quantifiable benefits of tasking students with learning the pledges actually have been produced. Are they beneficial, are the students held accountable to the tennents contained within or have they proven to be just filler for belt testing ceremonies?

I have my thoughts but really want to learn what is actually produced. What are your experiences and feelings on this?

Many thanks for your time and contributions to posterity.
    In a word the answer is "No!" Neither the creed or pledges have contributed anything to the development of my downline. While the reasons for either would be the same, I have to also admit my students have never learned the pledges because I never taught them. Like a lot of material, they were forays into the business model of teaching Kenpo, and an effort to inject some "philosophy" into a model that had none, as well as a guide for the younger students that pass through the art, and were introduced, (the pledges), a decade after I got started with Mr. Parker.

Let's face it. There is not one person in this discussion that would fundamentally change their personality because of these pledges, and creed. Adults tend to be who they are when you meet them and the greater influence on them as people, has already occurred by the time you meet them.

Do we have an impact? I would say yes, but the best that we can do as teachers is set an example of what you want them to be, and hope some of it takes. Prior to that we should be discriminating in deciding who we would take on as students. But, unfortunately in the business world, we don't turn away money because people are not who we want them to be. We don't take people in with the idea of "Let me work on their character." Dam near every one of Parker's black belts since the pledges, has violated one or more. Some individuals conveniently forget they either did, or tried to rip the old man off.

No, their family, church, friends, and upbringing will have the greater impact, and words on a piece of paper are no more than "something else to memorize so I can get another belt."

There was a time when I was expecting a child. Anticipating a boy, (didn't happen, apparently I can only make girls), I asked Mr. Parker, "How to you raise a son to be a man?" His answer caught me off guard but it was very straight forward and simple. He said, "You don't!" I said, "What do you mean?" He said, "You can't make him a man only he can do that, but what you can do is be one, and let him watch you as he grows. If other forces turn him in another direction, there's nothing you can do about it."

I have the luxury of picking students who are already of good character, and it is usually verified by their profession, (and a good background check), so it is a non issue for me. What I have done though is have a minor "influence" on some of the greatest and nicest people I know as they watched me, but I think they did all the heavy lifting, while I threw in a nudge or two when they asked.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

IWishToLearn (08-10-2009),Old Lion (08-09-2009),sifuroy (02-22-2010),toejoe2k (08-14-2009)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Adults tend to be who they are when you meet them and the greater influence on them as people, has already occurred by the time you meet them.

No, their family, church, friends, and upbringing will have the greater impact, and words on a piece of paper are no more than "something else to memorize so I can get another belt."

There was a time when I was expecting a child. Anticipating a boy, (didn't happen, apparently I can only make girls), I asked Mr. Parker, "How to you raise a son to be a man?" His answer caught me off guard but it was very straight forward and simple. He said, "You don't!" I said, "What do you mean?" He said, "You can't make him a man only he can do that, but what you can do is be one, and let him watch you as he grows. If other forces turn him in another direction, there's nothing you can do about it."
    When I was teaching psychology I came across a reference which noted that by roughly 20 the major attitudes and behaviors that make up personality have been set for life barring a truely significant event that jars a person to their core.

This is especially true if input doesn't meet with what a person wants to hear. I can recall severa; incidents where I tried to change students perspectives on school and since it didn't meet with their wants they didn't listen. Just so you know I'm not out their brainwashing students I am referring to trying to convince kids it was more important to study even is it meant putting in time and effort that could have been spent socializing or working to pay for cars, i-pod, etc..
    "By perseverance, study, and eternal desire, any man can become great," Gen. George S. Patton Jr. Commanding Officer U.S. Third Army

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Lion For This Useful Post:

toejoe2k (08-14-2009)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links