Thread: A Question for Mike Lambert - Glancing Wing

Thanks

Default A Question for Mike Lambert - Glancing Wing

Hi Mr. Mike,

A question for you about Glancing Wing. The first strike is a vertical punch to the face, as you block. The next strike is a chop to the throat. If the punch happens with any force, how is the person still there for the chop?

Is there a different way of doing the punch to keep the person from moving backwards?

Thanks.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

kickboxinglover (11-04-2013)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Default Re: A Question for Mike Lambert - Glancing Wing

First off I show this technique from a neutral bow and I step up the circle instead of stepping in or back and staying in line with the attack. The "block" to the forearm is actually a power strike. If you do this strike with the proper force and at the proper angle, which is perpendicular to the bone structure, you will break it and settle the opponents base right to the floor. I also do the left vertical punch a split second after the strike to the forearm, therefore borrowing his force for the strike. If he survives this combination he may be close enough for you to get the throat strike in. At any rate it is no different than any other technique. The third move is simply backup for the first two. When I first started teaching this technique I put a two inch pad on my guys forearm to see the reaction to my strike. He went down on one knee and his face was just waiting to be destroyed. Power-targeting-speed.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MLKKA View Post
    When I first started teaching this technique I put a two inch pad on my guys forearm to see the reaction to my strike. .
    A very good idea! Will try this sometime.

Thanks

Thank you.

I should've suspected that the first strike would somehow destroy something. It hadn't occured to me that it was the forearm.

We have some pads like that; I'll have to try it.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

We played with this last night and the half-beat delay before the punch to the face worked really well.

Speakman's model has the technique start with shielding hammer (block), then a right hook (five swords), then the attacker throws the uppercut.

The delay works just the same. I liked it. Thanks again.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

can you write out how you do this one.. i think we might do it a little diffrent.. we dont do a chop to the throat.. i am qurious to see..
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

First off, I start this technique in a right neutral. Move off the line of attack and deliver a right downward hammerfist strike to the opponents forearm. Almost simultaneously, deliver a left vertical punch to his face.
    Let your left hand drop into a check as you deliver a right swordhand strike to opponents throat. This is within the orbit you are taking to strike the oppponents kidneys. Strike inward and downward to buckle his legs.
    Bounce off the kidney strike to the base of the skull. This will drive him forward so you can anchor behind his head with your left hand and drive him down and set him up for the glancing wing part of the technique.
    This is a very base idea of the technique. It is really hard to show a technique in words. I hope this helps. Let me if you have any other questions I can help you with.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MLKKA For This Useful Post:

amylong (03-09-2007),gixxershane (03-10-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links