Thread: A Question For Mike Lambert

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default A Question For Mike Lambert

Mr. Lambert

What sets apart what you teach compared to everyone else out there.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Default Re: A Question For Mike Lambert

Rob

First off let me answer your question with a question of my own. What makes you ask this particular question? Have you heard about how or what I teach? I am just asking this to get a feel for what information you may be looking for.

Mike

Thanks

I am using this as a broad base question so that the members of site can get to know what you have to offer as an instructor and so that they will be able to ask informed questions in this area. I have heard good things about your teachings and have several of your videos, so I am just getting the ball rolling with some generic questions.

Thanks

Hi Mr. Mike,

I noticed that you have varying degrees of black belts in a number of systems. I was discussing this with some other people -- how did you find time to earn all of those?

Between work, family and life in general, it took me forever to get my black in just kenpo. Have you had any breaks in your training or has it been non-stop?

And how much time do you spend working on those other arts? Is it something that was learned and then incorporated into your kenpo or were you just interested in the other styles just for curiosity's sake?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Mike is a humble man and it may be a little awkward answering what he thinks sets himself apart.

So I will take a shot at it.

Mike is a no-nonsense type of guy and will get you to dig deeper about what you already know (or think you already know). He is lightning fast, hits like a truck, and has precision beyond imagination. He REALLY goes out of his way at seminars to make sure that you have it, and doesn't have favourites. In other words, if you attend one of his classes, he gives you the same attention as he would a beginner.

Great guy, and someone that EVERYONE should try out.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Seabrook For This Useful Post:

Brother John (11-06-2010)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Amy
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was in New York for a week working and just got back. No internet access.
    To answer your question , I have been training constantly since around 1970. As for all the different arts, they all compliment each other if you
    know how to integrate them together. As for the Iaido, I was always interested in sword work. Strictly a traditional art, but it is fun. I have to make sure I don't remove any of my own parts, because I do use a real blade.

Mike

Thanks

I know I did not ask an easy question to start this thread off. But, in my opinion, with a great area like this here on KenpoTalk, I would like to put modesty aside when it comes to our contributors and have them sell themselves a little. I feel that is the only way that our memebers will get to know them enough so that we as members will be able to ask them intelligent questions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MLKKA View Post
    Amy
    To answer your question , I have been training constantly since around 1970. As for all the different arts, they all compliment each other if you
    know how to integrate them together. As for the Iaido, I was always interested in sword work. Strictly a traditional art, but it is fun. I have to make sure I don't remove any of my own parts, because I do use a real blade.

Mike
    Thanks for answering.

So when you took off to learn a different art, did you do the kenpo at the same time? Or did you take breaks from kenpo to work different styles? I guess I'm just thinking that if I'm teaching classes twice a week, it's hard to fit in other things without being busy 7 nights a week. With kids and such, it would be hard to have time for everything.

And do other arts take less time to get black belt?

I guess I'm trying to figure out some of the logistics of it.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Amy
    Actually I kept on training and teaching Kenpo at the same time I kept learning other arts. I trained in other schools. Traded training. I took what I liked and integrated it into my teaching. There are only so many ways you can physically move. There are a some people who think Kenpo has it all, and they are right. The problem is that most schools dont explore everything out there to find this out for sure. I did.

Thanks

Do you still practice the other arts much? Like the katas and such?

Or did you basically learn them for what you could get out of them (to add to your kenpo)?

I ask because you obviously didn't stop at black belt with them, but continued to get further rank.

Are the other styles faster to get black belts?

--Amy

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links