Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenpo.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip McKnight View Post
    I only kick high, it's a natural fit with my sole consumption of single malt whiskey whenever I'm thirsty.
    Just make sure you don't get too high...

Phillip likes this.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,934 Times in 5,591 Posts

Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

Quote Originally Posted by Star Dragon View Post
    Just make sure you don't get too high...

Hey, I never had a "dojo."
    Phillip likes this.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

Star Dragon (09-22-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    And for those who disregard the effectiveness of a properly delivered mule kick obviously have never been on the receiving end of one.
    There's no education in the second kick of a mule. Any kick can be effective if all the right circumstances fall together and I understand the basic philosophical differences between kicks in Kenpo and kicks in my own background of taekwondo. My main motivation for visiting and participating in these forums is to learn new ideas and concepts from folks that have the experience to share, I don't mind if some members choose to take unwarranted and unprovoked potshots, I've got a thick skin, but it really doesn't add anything to my existing knowledge base. Insecurity can be a funny thing, used to hide inherent weakness, or as a throne to prop up a superiority complex, it's not funny when it's a reflection of a full cup.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

There's no education in the second kick of a mule. Any kick can be effective if all the right circumstances fall together and I understand the basic philosophical differences between kicks in Kenpo and kicks in my own background of taekwondo. My main motivation for visiting and participating in these forums is to learn new ideas and concepts from folks that have the experience to share, I don't mind if some members choose to take unwarranted and unprovoked potshots, I've got a thick skin, but it really doesn't add anything to my existing knowledge base. Insecurity can be a funny thing, used to hide inherent weakness, or as a throne to prop up a superiority complex, it's not funny when it's a reflection of a full cup.
    Hey man, look just because you made all of that money inventing tennis shoes is no reason to ...... wait! Phillip McKnight? Oh, my bad. Never mind.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Hey man, look just because you made all of that money inventing tennis shoes is no reason to ...... wait! Phillip McKnight? Oh, my bad. Never mind.
    I've never been a Nike guy.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

The mule kick doesn't get much play with me, I try to not have my back to somebody I'm fighting or sparring unless I spin in purpose . In that case I'd just do either a spinning back kick or spinning side kick . I guess the accurate term would be turning back kick or turning side kick.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    The mule kick doesn't get much play with me, I try to not have my back to somebody I'm fighting or sparring unless I spin in purpose . In that case I'd just do either a spinning back kick or spinning side kick . I guess the accurate term would be turning back kick or turning side kick.
    Kenpo guys sometimes use it as a closing technique, when already on the way out of a situation, basically.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    its not a good technique for a face-off like in sparring. It's better in an "opportunity of the moment" situation, like if you are at your banks ATM and somebody comes up behind you, demanding a hand-out.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

MarkC (09-22-2015),nelson (10-11-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Pot shots? LOL
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 608 Posts

I understand. I do have an inherent weakness. I tend to recognize that some folks tend to denigrate certain movements when they don't like them, or more accurately don't understand them. Does that make me superior? Hardly. Just means that I understand that certain moves are highly effective in the right situations. Pardon me while I descend from my throne to see if I can encourage others not to empty their cup, but to get a larger one so they won't lose what they have already learned.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

Doc (09-23-2015),MarkC (10-12-2015),nelson (10-11-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    I understand. I do have an inherent weakness. I tend to recognize that some folks tend to denigrate certain movements when they don't like them, or more accurately don't understand them. Does that make me superior? Hardly. Just means that I understand that certain moves are highly effective in the right situations. Pardon me while I descend from my throne to see if I can encourage others not to empty their cup, but to get a larger one so they won't lose what they have already learned.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    My cup runneth over.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (09-23-2015),Doc (10-11-2015),nelson (09-23-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenposoldier01 View Post
    In what order should the basics be taught?

Do you teach basics in isolation? Do you let your beginning students work them against realistic resistance? Do you encourage the students to use their newly introduced basics in sparring or do you let them spar without offering them any input, advice or tips, perhaps you feel like they will figure it out in time, on their own?

Do you focus on stances first then maneuvers before you get into blocks followed by striking, kicking and specialized moves and methods or some other order and why?
    Or do you prefer to teach the forms and techniques, letting the material in the curriculum introduce the basics for you without isolating it beyond the work in the sets?
    How do you think Kenpo should be taught to produce the most technically sound practitioners?

How do you know when your student is ready to progress to the next basic or technique?

Of course I want to read your reasons WHY you feel the way you do.
    I have been teaching since 1970. When I reached Blue belt, Al Tracy had me teach. I have taught large classes and now teaching private class for ten years. I also have a black from Ed Parker kenpo. Kenpo is constructed to be taught in private. It took me 15 years of research and deep thinking to realize that forms were unnecessary. I teach only techniques and basics. I also teach weapons. Knowing when a student is ready to progress to the next technique, is when they can do it smoothly enough so they do not stop in the technique and they are no longer jerky in their movements. It is somewhat of a subjective thing.
    Sifu

17. The Following User Says Thank You to aikikenjitsu For This Useful Post:

KirkS (10-11-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aikikenjitsu View Post
    I have been teaching since 1970. When I reached Blue belt, Al Tracy had me teach. I have taught large classes and now teaching private class for ten years. I also have a black from Ed Parker kenpo. Kenpo is constructed to be taught in private. It took me 15 years of research and deep thinking to realize that forms were unnecessary. I teach only techniques and basics. I also teach weapons. Knowing when a student is ready to progress to the next technique, is when they can do it smoothly enough so they do not stop in the technique and they are no longer jerky in their movements. It is somewhat of a subjective thing.
    Sifu
    You may blame it on my background in traditional Karate, but I believe that forms are one of the most important aspects of martial arts practice.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

Doc (10-12-2015),Kenpodave (10-12-2015),MarkC (10-12-2015),nelson (10-12-2015),punkmonkey (10-12-2015)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

You may blame it on my background in traditional Karate, but I believe that forms are one of the most important aspects of martial arts practice.
    To discard forms is to display a lack of knowledge, provided the forms had worth in the first place. Some of the modern stuff was already junk, so in that case I would concur. However, real forms maintained as they should are great repositories of information. We call them Encyclopedias. Some information can only be archived this way. Most certainly it cannot be written down and preserved in words as well as movement properly executed. Forms are important, unless you are only content with a personal development that has been purposely limited. It's a choice.

www.MSUACF.com

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

flying crane (10-12-2015),Kenpodave (10-12-2015),MarkC (10-12-2015),nelson (10-12-2015),punkmonkey (10-12-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I would first teach body alignment and relaxation, especially while standing in a horse stance. Next, how to use the hips and some basic footwork. In other words, before practicing all the invidual movements the human "engine" is supposed to perform, the prerequisites for ALL those movements should be studied. That would be the most efficient way, imo.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

Doc (11-04-2015),nelson (11-04-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I would first teach body alignment and relaxation, especially while standing in a horse stance. Next, how to use the hips and some basic footwork. In other words, before practicing all the invidual movements the human "engine" is supposed to perform, the prerequisites for ALL those movements should be studied. That would be the most efficient way, imo.
    I sort of agree, although I think that correct alignment, relaxation, usage of the hips, etc., should be taught as part of how to do the basics correctly.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kenpodave For This Useful Post:

Doc (11-04-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpodave View Post
    I sort of agree, although I think that correct alignment, relaxation, usage of the hips, etc., should be taught as part of how to do the basics correctly.
    I would say they should be continuously emphasized, of course, but also practised in isolation. I.e., I like to stand in a meditating horse for a couple of minutes before doing a set or form, focussing on relaxation and alignment. I found this to clearly enhance my performance. I agree with Yoshimi Inoue (the instructor of Rika Usami and other world champions) who said that Karate is 99% perception. Neglecting it, you can train year in, year out without progressing much. It's the self-awareness you put into it that makes all the difference.

Along these lines, I also like standing in a horse and shifting my weight to different stances, as well as practising basic foot maneuvers. I have seen so called masters who surely had flashy moves but were no longer able to get those basics right. But they are the foundations that one's whole art is built on - literally. So they should stand at the beginning of one's training and be kept up continuously.
    Kenpodave likes this.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Dragon For This Useful Post:

MarkC (11-05-2015),nelson (11-05-2015)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links