Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenpo.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

I'm not gonna be a defender of TKD, but Nelson, if you can kick high, you can also kick low. The reverse is not always true.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

"Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

"...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (09-20-2015),Doc (09-20-2015),jdinca (09-21-2015),nelson (09-20-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I'm not gonna be a defender of TKD, but Nelson, if you can kick high, you can also kick low. The reverse is not always true.
    Seems like all the putting their knee on their chest, to kick, might make low kicks more of a challenge.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Seems like all the putting their knee on their chest, to kick, might make low kicks more of a challenge.
    It adds power to chamber high for a low kick and there's always the option to change to a high kick, of course anyone that can't kick over their own waist probably shouldn't make such an attempt. The idea that low kicks are more challenging than high kicks is original.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip For This Useful Post:

nelson (09-20-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip McKnight View Post
    It adds power to chamber high for a low kick and there's always the option to change to a high kick, of course anyone that can't kick over their own waist probably shouldn't make such an attempt. The idea that low kicks are more challenging than high kicks is original.
    I'm sorry, chambering high to kick low is absolutely crazy. First off, you just got real slow. That slowness involves a lot of standing on one leg. Just pick up your heel and fire. This isn't rocket science.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Those donkey kicks I've seen don't need a chamber, but that's not a tkd technique.

Thanks

Those donkey kicks I've seen don't need a chamber, but that's not a tkd technique.
    Picking up the heel is the chamber, but I will concede it is not TKD.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Picking up the heel is the chamber, but I will concede it is not TKD.
    Where does your knee go when you pick up your heel? Not that it hardly matters, there's really nothing you can do to help a sloppy technique.

Thanks

Where does your knee go when you pick up your heel? Not that it hardly matters, there's really nothing you can do to help a sloppy technique.
    Ha ha ha! It points toward the target. I know that is a radical idea, these days.

Thanks

I would rather be fast than pretty, and slow.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,262 Posts

I'm sorry, chambering high to kick low is absolutely crazy. First off, you just got real slow. That slowness involves a lot of standing on one leg. Just pick up your heel and fire. This isn't rocket science.
    Depends on the kick I guess. If it is a "front kick", you are absolutely right, I'm not going to chamber for a head kick to kick their knee. But, if I am doing a downward thrusting kick, then I will chamber high to kick low based on target.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

KenpoChanger (09-21-2015),MarkC (09-21-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    Depends on the kick I guess. If it is a "front kick", you are absolutely right, I'm not going to chamber for a head kick to kick their knee. But, if I am doing a downward thrusting kick, then I will chamber high to kick low based on target.
    True, but a martial artist that puts their knee on their chest, as a simple startle reflex, is just begging for trouble.

Thanks

A decent chamber doesn't mean putting your knee on your chest. Who chambers a leg as a startle reflex?

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I've been to tournaments and have seen competitors hopping around on one leg, of course that was in the yellow and green belt rings. I appreciate the taekwondo caricature, but I wouldn't put too much stock into it, low kicks are fine for people that don't embrace a holistic philosophy in their training. I stretch for high kicks daily because it's good exercise, not because I want to kick somebody in the head.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip For This Useful Post:

MarkC (09-21-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    A decent chamber doesn't mean putting your knee on your chest. Who chambers a leg as a startle reflex?
    This ex, and I do mean ex-marine, I fought once. LOL

Thanks

I've been to tournaments and have seen competitors hopping around on one leg, of course that was in the yellow and green belt rings. I appreciate the taekwondo caricature, but I wouldn't put too much stock into it, low kicks are fine for people that don't embrace a holistic philosophy in their training. I stretch for high kicks daily because it's good exercise, not because I want to kick somebody in the head.
    Holistic means kick high?

Thanks

I imagine he's using it to mean training to be able to kick any height you want.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Just for clarification: When I said previously that I generally don’t chamber kicks to the fullest extent, I didn't suggest to neglect chambering them. But I don't pull my knee up to the chest for a front snap kick to the mid section or lower. Nor do I chamber in front of the body for a back kick, as I was taught in Shotokan (although nobody was doing that).

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I only kick high, it's a natural fit with my sole consumption of single malt whiskey whenever I'm thirsty.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phillip For This Useful Post:

jdinca (09-21-2015),KenpoChanger (09-21-2015),Star Dragon (09-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 608 Posts

The chamber must fit the kick, it is merely a cocking mechanism for optimum execution of the kick. Every kick must be chambered in its own way. To chamber too much, or too long, or incorrectly at the least will highly telegraph your actions. To not chamber as much as you should will rob you of accuracy, speed and power. You won't punch effectively by ignoring how your punch gets to the target. To disregard the chambering a kick will achieve the same result.

And for those who disregard the effectiveness of a properly delivered mule kick obviously have never been on the receiving end of one.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

Doc (09-21-2015),jdinca (09-21-2015),KenpoChanger (09-21-2015),MarkC (09-21-2015),nelson (09-21-2015),Star Dragon (09-21-2015)

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,934 Times in 5,591 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    The chamber must fit the kick, it is merely a cocking mechanism for optimum execution of the kick. Every kick must be chambered in its own way. To chamber too much, or too long, or incorrectly at the least will highly telegraph your actions. To not chamber as much as you should will rob you of accuracy, speed and power. You won't punch effectively by ignoring how your punch gets to the target. To disregard the chambering a kick will achieve the same result.

And for those who disregard the effectiveness of a properly delivered mule kick obviously have never been on the receiving end of one.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Yes sir.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (09-22-2015)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links