Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenpo.

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    8,076
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    I'm not gonna be a defender of TKD, but Nelson, if you can kick high, you can also kick low. The reverse is not always true.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

    "Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

    "...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarkC For This Useful Post:

    bdparsons (09-20-2015),Doc (09-20-2015),jdinca (09-21-2015),nelson (09-20-2015)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I'm not gonna be a defender of TKD, but Nelson, if you can kick high, you can also kick low. The reverse is not always true.
    Seems like all the putting their knee on their chest, to kick, might make low kicks more of a challenge.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  4. #23
    Phillip is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 35 Times in 23 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Seems like all the putting their knee on their chest, to kick, might make low kicks more of a challenge.
    It adds power to chamber high for a low kick and there's always the option to change to a high kick, of course anyone that can't kick over their own waist probably shouldn't make such an attempt. The idea that low kicks are more challenging than high kicks is original.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip For This Useful Post:

    nelson (09-20-2015)

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip McKnight View Post
    It adds power to chamber high for a low kick and there's always the option to change to a high kick, of course anyone that can't kick over their own waist probably shouldn't make such an attempt. The idea that low kicks are more challenging than high kicks is original.
    I'm sorry, chambering high to kick low is absolutely crazy. First off, you just got real slow. That slowness involves a lot of standing on one leg. Just pick up your heel and fire. This isn't rocket science.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  7. #25
    Phillip is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 35 Times in 23 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    Those donkey kicks I've seen don't need a chamber, but that's not a tkd technique.

  8. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip McKnight View Post
    Those donkey kicks I've seen don't need a chamber, but that's not a tkd technique.
    Picking up the heel is the chamber, but I will concede it is not TKD.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  9. #27
    Phillip is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 35 Times in 23 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    Picking up the heel is the chamber, but I will concede it is not TKD.
    Where does your knee go when you pick up your heel? Not that it hardly matters, there's really nothing you can do to help a sloppy technique.

  10. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip McKnight View Post
    Where does your knee go when you pick up your heel? Not that it hardly matters, there's really nothing you can do to help a sloppy technique.
    Ha ha ha! It points toward the target. I know that is a radical idea, these days.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  11. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip McKnight View Post
    Those donkey kicks I've seen don't need a chamber, but that's not a tkd technique.
    I would rather be fast than pretty, and slow.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  12. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    1,926
    Thanks
    1,670
    Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,262 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    I'm sorry, chambering high to kick low is absolutely crazy. First off, you just got real slow. That slowness involves a lot of standing on one leg. Just pick up your heel and fire. This isn't rocket science.
    Depends on the kick I guess. If it is a "front kick", you are absolutely right, I'm not going to chamber for a head kick to kick their knee. But, if I am doing a downward thrusting kick, then I will chamber high to kick low based on target.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

    Romans 13:4

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to punisher73 For This Useful Post:

    KenpoChanger (09-21-2015),MarkC (09-21-2015)

  14. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    Depends on the kick I guess. If it is a "front kick", you are absolutely right, I'm not going to chamber for a head kick to kick their knee. But, if I am doing a downward thrusting kick, then I will chamber high to kick low based on target.
    True, but a martial artist that puts their knee on their chest, as a simple startle reflex, is just begging for trouble.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  15. #32
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    8,076
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    A decent chamber doesn't mean putting your knee on your chest. Who chambers a leg as a startle reflex?
    "To be, rather than to seem"

    "Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

    "...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

  16. #33
    Phillip is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 35 Times in 23 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    I've been to tournaments and have seen competitors hopping around on one leg, of course that was in the yellow and green belt rings. I appreciate the taekwondo caricature, but I wouldn't put too much stock into it, low kicks are fine for people that don't embrace a holistic philosophy in their training. I stretch for high kicks daily because it's good exercise, not because I want to kick somebody in the head.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillip For This Useful Post:

    MarkC (09-21-2015)

  18. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    A decent chamber doesn't mean putting your knee on your chest. Who chambers a leg as a startle reflex?
    This ex, and I do mean ex-marine, I fought once. LOL
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  19. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    SpoVaWA
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip McKnight View Post
    I've been to tournaments and have seen competitors hopping around on one leg, of course that was in the yellow and green belt rings. I appreciate the taekwondo caricature, but I wouldn't put too much stock into it, low kicks are fine for people that don't embrace a holistic philosophy in their training. I stretch for high kicks daily because it's good exercise, not because I want to kick somebody in the head.
    Holistic means kick high?
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

  20. #36
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    8,076
    Thanked 3,925 Times in 2,211 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    I imagine he's using it to mean training to be able to kick any height you want.
    "To be, rather than to seem"

    "Fix your rear foot ... What the hell is wrong with you?"

    "...I already watched the videos, and quite frankly, they're bullsh*t."

  21. #37
    Star Dragon's Avatar
    Star Dragon is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    470
    Thanks
    559
    Thanked 342 Times in 227 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    Just for clarification: When I said previously that I generally don’t chamber kicks to the fullest extent, I didn't suggest to neglect chambering them. But I don't pull my knee up to the chest for a front snap kick to the mid section or lower. Nor do I chamber in front of the body for a back kick, as I was taught in Shotokan (although nobody was doing that).

  22. #38
    Phillip is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 35 Times in 23 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    I only kick high, it's a natural fit with my sole consumption of single malt whiskey whenever I'm thirsty.

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phillip For This Useful Post:

    jdinca (09-21-2015),KenpoChanger (09-21-2015),Star Dragon (09-21-2015)

  24. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Posts
    1,134
    Thanks
    1,167
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 608 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    The chamber must fit the kick, it is merely a cocking mechanism for optimum execution of the kick. Every kick must be chambered in its own way. To chamber too much, or too long, or incorrectly at the least will highly telegraph your actions. To not chamber as much as you should will rob you of accuracy, speed and power. You won't punch effectively by ignoring how your punch gets to the target. To disregard the chambering a kick will achieve the same result.

    And for those who disregard the effectiveness of a properly delivered mule kick obviously have never been on the receiving end of one.

    Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

    "I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

  25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

    Doc (09-21-2015),jdinca (09-21-2015),KenpoChanger (09-21-2015),MarkC (09-21-2015),nelson (09-21-2015),Star Dragon (09-21-2015)

  26. #40
    Doc's Avatar
    Doc
    Doc is offline
    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8,439
    Thanks
    4,269
    Thanked 14,934 Times in 5,591 Posts

    Default Re: In what order should the Basics be taught and other questions about teaching Kenp

    Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    The chamber must fit the kick, it is merely a cocking mechanism for optimum execution of the kick. Every kick must be chambered in its own way. To chamber too much, or too long, or incorrectly at the least will highly telegraph your actions. To not chamber as much as you should will rob you of accuracy, speed and power. You won't punch effectively by ignoring how your punch gets to the target. To disregard the chambering a kick will achieve the same result.

    And for those who disregard the effectiveness of a properly delivered mule kick obviously have never been on the receiving end of one.

    Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Yes sir.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

    "Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

    "It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél


    www.MSUACF.com

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:

    bdparsons (09-22-2015)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. On BASICS in Kenpo
    By Kenposoldier01 in forum Parkers Kenpo (EPAK) - General
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 05-03-2014, 11:12 PM
  2. Kenpo Kicks - Teaching Video!
    By Christopher Stewart in forum Videos
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 11:37 AM
  3. Basics of Kenpo
    By Bob Hubbard in forum Kenpo General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2010, 10:38 PM
  4. Re: Techniques in the order that they are taught.
    By wolfenmoon in forum Beginners Corner
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-01-2007, 06:30 AM
  5. A few questions about some of the Kenpo associations
    By hemi in forum Beginners Corner
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-14-2006, 01:54 PM

Search tags for this page (caching method: table, memcache)

kenpo forms explained

,

order a basics kenpo

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.