Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Weapons ARE or ARE NOT originally part of Kenpo??

Thanks
    Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,262 Posts

Default Re: Weapons ARE or ARE NOT originally part of Kenpo??

My lineage is not kenpo, but my instructor was "old school" and teaches many the "art" of martial arts. For those who also want the "martial" aspect he shares that in small groups or one on one with dedicated students. There have been many times when we have gone over drills in a large class and then I have gotten pulled aside and instructed on what to do to tweak it when it hits the fan.

It is a hard road to balance for those that do see martial arts on all three levels (physical, mental, spiritual/emotional) and see that people take martial arts for different reasons. But, he has also been very clear between the two and has told many people that a "lack of training, results in an --- beatin' on the street", or when someone gets a little cocky, he'll gladly tell them to accompany him to a bar frequented by steel workers and trade hands with them to see how good they really are.
    "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

Romans 13:4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punisher73 View Post
    My lineage is not kenpo, but my instructor was "old school" and teaches many the "art" of martial arts. For those who also want the "martial" aspect he shares that in small groups or one on one with dedicated students. There have been many times when we have gone over drills in a large class and then I have gotten pulled aside and instructed on what to do to tweak it when it hits the fan.

It is a hard road to balance for those that do see martial arts on all three levels (physical, mental, spiritual/emotional) and see that people take martial arts for different reasons. But, he has also been very clear between the two and has told many people that a "lack of training, results in an --- beatin' on the street", or when someone gets a little cocky, he'll gladly tell them to accompany him to a bar frequented by steel workers and trade hands with them to see how good they really are.
    Aluminum workers are the true bad asses... Just sayin'.
    Also Mastering Tsing Tao.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

punisher73 (10-11-2015)

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenpo RONIN View Post
    The Kenpo Creed:
    I come to you with only Karate, Empty Hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles, or my honor, should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong, then here are my weapons, Karate, my Empty Hands.

Kenpo = Law of the Fist Karate = Empty Hands

Many things in the art of Kenpo, or at least American Kenpo, indicate that it is supposed to be an empty hand art. So, where did the use of weapons (i.e: the "Kenpo sticks," "Kenpo knife," "Staff Set") come into play, if the emphasis is supposed to be weaponLESS? Were weapons introduced by SGM Parker, or others, over the years as "progressions/evolutions," to what is supposed to be originally an empty hand art?

I have seen videos, and demonstrations where instructors are showing adaptations of Kenpo techniques WITH weapons. I am from a Kenpo and a Filipino martial arts lineage, so I am fortunate to have the viewpoint of the weaponless fighter, and the armed fighter. I have no problem with the reasoning that a weapon can be adapted to the movements of a Kenpo technique...however I have a HUGE problem when said technique is weapon vs. a weaponLESS attacker--essentially showing a Kenpoist slicing an opponent to shreds, or beating him down with a blunt force weapon, and the attacker is EMPTY HANDED. This teaches a student that someone who is unarmed should be attacked with a weapon. I'm from L.A.--which doesn't just stand for Los Angeles, but "LITIGATION ALWAYS." Teaching like this is essentially teaching people that it is ok to be armed and attack an unarmed opponent. This teaches students to get their asses thrown in jail for ADW or murder. I don't believe this is responsible. I NEVER see the Kenpo practioner with a weapon using it against an opponent with a weapon!!?? The founder of my style of Escrima, the late Grandmaster Leo Giron, who was a weapons fighter, saw an empty hand encounter as something not as serious--he had faced samurai sword wielding Japanese soldiers in WWII combat in the Philippines, so to him, anything less than a rifle, bayonet, machete, or sword, was just not that dangerous.

Just trying to gain more insight into this subject--if anyone is willing to enlighten me.

Humbly~
    I'm from the 70's when I could talk to Ed Parker personally before I started to take lessons at Santa Monica, by the beach. I earned Black belt, but I was never taught weapons. Over the years I got a good set of Kenpo instructional DVDs and taught myself double sticks and knives and short staff. Later I created more weapon techniques. I teach and we practice now the karambit. What I like about American Kenpo is the flowing nature of it. Because of it, weapons adapt easily. Just small changes are made as where to strike and how to strike with the weapon. Some Kenpo schools incorporate weapons and training from Philippines, which I don't believe in. I keep Ed Parker Kenpo pure and it teaches itself weapons. With thought and practice you are an expert in weapons in Kenpo. Kenpo movements are made for weapons. When demonstrating Kenpo with and without weapons, people would ask me if I was doing Silat. Interesting.
    Sifu

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links